PDA

View Full Version : First Cook on BGE - Home Run

mcrimm
08-24-2011, 10:58 PM
I picked up my 'once baked' BGE-large from Missoula today following the Eggfest on Saturday. Drove 150 miles home with it strapped in the back of my F150. Once home, I took it apart, put it on the deck, reassembled then fired it up to 500. I put on 2 - 1/2lb burgers that I perfectly formed including the depression in the center. I also added a little spice and cooked. I don't have a thermometer yet so I guessed at when to flip and add the cheese - - but - - after a few flips I loaded each on a fresh bakery bun and took my first bite............perfect. Ultra moist and ultra tasty.

If things only get better, I'll be thrilled. I had a little trouble getting to temp but managed after relighting with my Mapp torch.

After I picked up the Egg, I ran over to Walmart and grabbed 80# of Royal Oak based on forum recommendations. With the 20# that came with the Egg, I should be set for winter.

Steaks tomorrow.

I need accessories..............

Mike

martyleach
08-24-2011, 11:02 PM
I can tell you that you that the love for your egg will grow, especially when you get into slow cooking things like pork shoulders, ribs, briskets....

I have many cookers but my egg is always my go to for slow cooking.

Congratulations on your purchase.

Jason TQ
08-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Awesome. I just got mine yesterday and am having a table built this weekend. Will hopefully get to fire it up Sunday.

ezoliver
08-24-2011, 11:15 PM
Congrats on the egg and the first perfect cook. It only gets better the longer you have it!

I know my egg is well loved and is like a member of the family now...

thirdeye
08-24-2011, 11:21 PM
I picked up my 'once baked' BGE-large from Missoula today following the Eggfest on Saturday. Drove 150 miles home with it strapped in the back of my F150. Once home, I took it apart, put it on the deck, reassembled then fired it up to 500. I put on 2 - 1/2lb burgers that I perfectly formed including the depression in the center. I also added a little spice and cooked. I don't have a thermometer yet so I guessed at when to flip and add the cheese - - but - - after a few flips I loaded each on a fresh bakery bun and took my first bite............perfect. Ultra moist and ultra tasty.

If things only get better, I'll be thrilled. I had a little trouble getting to temp but managed after relighting with my Mapp torch.

After I picked up the Egg, I ran over to Walmart and grabbed 80# of Royal Oak based on forum recommendations. With the 20# that came with the Egg, I should be set for winter.

Steaks tomorrow.

I need accessories..............

Mike

Welcome to the world of ceramics. You will catch on to the Egg in no time, and the best thing is that you can cook all winter long. Was the Montana Charcoal guy at the Eggfest? (I'm not sure of the name of the company, but they have different varieties of lump) I've wanted to try it but shipping even down to Wyoming was really high.

mcrimm
08-24-2011, 11:43 PM
I didn't see him- I was looking too.
Mike

mcrimm
08-25-2011, 10:37 PM
Tonight it was Johnsonville Brats - about 10 minutes at 450 and perfection. These were almost as good as the ones at Lambeau Field - but everything is good at Lambeau lately.
Mike

anamosity
08-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Congrats on your purchase.
Not sure if we met, but I was serving the pulled pork.

Badgeman
08-26-2011, 10:26 AM
You will never look back...welcome to the band of eggheads. A merry bunch, we are.

bigsapper
08-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Congrats on the BGE.
:thumb:

cowgirl
08-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Congratulations on the egg. Your burgers and brats sound perfect!

Groundhog66
08-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Congrats on the acquisition :clap2: Pick up a cast iron grate, you'll be glad you did.

Camille Eonich
08-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Congrats on the acquisition :clap2: Pick up a cast iron grate, you'll be glad you did.

This is next on my list. My last purchase was a Digi Q and I LOVE it!

platriver
08-26-2011, 04:31 PM
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz184/platriver/ThumbsUp.jpg
Love mine as I'm sure you will learn to love yours!

BigDaddyJT
08-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Congrats on the BGE.

LMAJ
08-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Congrats! You will love your Egg.

Midnight Smoke
08-26-2011, 08:19 PM
Congrats on your 1st cook! :thumb:The Egg is so versatile. Once you get the Fire control down the possibilities are endless. Did you get a Plate Setter yet for Indirect cooks?

mcrimm
08-26-2011, 09:41 PM
I've been lurking at the Ceramic Grill Store for an alternative to the plate setter. There is a good thread over at the Big Green Egg Forum - http://www.eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1135614#Comment_1135614 - That seems to indicate more folks are happy with alternatives to the plate setter. I'm saving my milk money............

By the time I bought the Egg, a cover and a few accessories like 100lb of lump, my bride will rein me in.

I need to sell my old gas grill on Craigs List to reload.

Mike

Yes, I did try the pulled pork and remember you in Missoula