PDA

View Full Version : Hope this wasn't a brethren...

bigabyte
08-24-2011, 05:09 PM
or anyone else we know. Hope they are safe. Man and wife injured making smoker when cutting into propane tank and it exploded...
http://www.kctv5.com/story/15326468/explosion-rocks-the-northland

BigButzBBQ
08-24-2011, 05:14 PM
Wow. :shock:

Propane tanks are no joke. I know we were quadroupley careful when we cut into one last year. Even then, it was a little scary. Nothing even remotely life threatening happend but, people don't realize that the metal absorbs that stuff and will hold onto it.

che22879
08-24-2011, 05:14 PM
Wow! Hope they both make it.

gtr
08-24-2011, 05:21 PM
How awful. And with a baby in the house as well - hope they make it.

InTheRedZoneBBQ
08-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Wow, just amazing. I used to live probably 10 minutes away from this guy before relocating to St Louis...Hope it turns out well.

Johnny_Crunch
08-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Ouch!

Chopjaw
08-24-2011, 07:16 PM
I bet that was a huge blast.. I shot a 30gal propane tank with my H&H .375 It scared the crap out of me and everybody else in a 1/2 mile radius. Jeez man, don't think I can even image what it would be like welding on it and having that thing explode......

Hope they are alright..

DirtyDirty00
08-24-2011, 07:23 PM
o my goodness! hope everyone turns out alright

Pappy
08-24-2011, 08:46 PM
Wow. :shock:

people don't realize that the metal absorbs that stuff and will hold onto it.

Are you serious Clark? I didn't know that. It's good to know if someone tries to buy or give you one. Better know what you're doing. Thanks for the warning.
Sounds like Propane is bad azz.

PatAttack
08-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Yeah, propane is no joke!

That smell you smell when you crack open a tank is an additive they put in it because propane really doesn't have a smell in it's natural state.

Hope they are going to be alright.

J'ville Grill
08-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Wow it says the man is in critical condition from his burns and the woman is in serious condition. I hope they make it, they are lucky to be alive.

Kenny Rogers
08-24-2011, 09:09 PM
There are many precautions to take prior to this kind of undertaking. I work at a sheet metal fabrication shop and we cut all kinds of large semi desil tanks, and many other flamable containers... One way we keep the flammables at a minimum is to flush it with water first, and if at all possible scrub it... even with a pressure washer.
In this case I would let water run through it overnight, and then fill it with argon, or co2... argon is what we use for flash control to keep the sugar to a minimum inside of stainless steel vessels, in this case it would prevent sparks (due to the lack of oxygen) and therefore prevent an explosion... Just my 2 cents!

Of course the safest way to prevent an explosion is NOT to cut into the damn thing to begin with. But if you must... BE SAFE!

BigBobBQ
08-24-2011, 09:36 PM
WOW that is very scary, I hope they both make a full recovery!

smokeyokie
08-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Wow Send prayers and thoughts to that family... always and I mean alway make sure the pressure is off and fill that thing with water and drain before workin on it... what a tragedy!!!!

brewerjamie15
08-24-2011, 09:51 PM
oof. That's a sobering story. We usually hear all the good stuff and fun tales of making a smoker. This is kinda humbling to say the least.

martyleach
08-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Really scary!! Hope they can get home to the baby. God bless!

DirtyDirty00
08-25-2011, 01:22 AM
for real that stuff is no joke. did you see those pics of the smoke in the sky above the houses and trees from the explosion? There musta been a nice sized mushroom cloud. its a miracle they are even alive. i have no idea how they are. my thoughts and prayers are with them and i hope them the best!

BigButzBBQ
08-25-2011, 08:35 AM
I didn't know that. It's good to know if someone tries to buy or give you one. Better know what you're doing. Thanks for the warning.
Sounds like Propane is bad azz.

Actually, there is a story I was told by my FIL about the effects of the propane seeping into the metal. The story goes; a local scrap yard was given a bunch of old 500lb propane tanks to cut up and make fire rings out of for campers to use in some local parks. My FIL stopped by the scrap yard to pick up some stuff and came across a guy standing at one of the tanks with a blow torch. He asked the guy what the heck he was doing and if he knew how dangerous that was. The guy shrugged and said they had filled them up with water and drained them and that "see there's no danger in it." as he held the torch up to an open hole at the bottom of the tank where a cap had originally been installed. Suddenly a jet of flame shot out the bottom of the tank and was so loud people said they could hear it from a quarter of a mile away as it continued to burn for over 20 minutes!
Now, I'm no scientist (atleast not an official one) but, the way I understand it as a cook is this. Metal is porous. Just like when you coat Cast Iron with oil to keep it from caroding, the metal absorbs the oil. Well, propane is a petroleum (oil) product. Because, of that, it actuall seeps into the metal. If you just wash it out with water, it won't neccesarilly, strip out all of the propane. Because, as we all know oil and water don't mix. That's why as some have said, you need to use a pressure washer. In my case, we use dish soap, you know the kind that says it breaks up greese and oil? We filled the tank we cut open not only once but twice with a bottle of dish soap and the rest of the way with water and let over flow over night the second time.
Even after that, my FIL wasn't trusting of the tank. It was then filled with exhaust before he even attempted a flame test near one of the openings and then cut into it.
Be safe, stay alive, propane is no joke.

Big George's BBQ
08-25-2011, 08:46 AM
That is scarry I do hope that they will be OK

KnucklHed BBQ
08-25-2011, 09:25 AM
Man that is some crazy stuff... It's amazing the dumb stuff we do and then (if we live) look back on and say "Hmm, prolly wudn't the best idea I've had!"

Hope for a quick recovery! Chris, you have a safe cooker you can loan them folks??

Igotgas
08-25-2011, 06:04 PM
I know that this is tragic and all, and the outcome could have been worse, BUT you have got to be kidding me. How the Fark do you think cutting or welding on a propane tank (without taking precautions) is a good idea? Common sense goes a long way and for some it is non existent. I did a lot of research and took all advice before cutting my tanks open to make my smoker.

deepsouth
08-25-2011, 07:17 PM
i hope they are ok. very very very sad.