PDA

View Full Version : Any idea what's being used here?

Cabin Fever
08-24-2011, 02:12 PM
I just came across this Chris Lilly video on Youtube. Does anyone happen to know what that is he pours on the pork after chopping?

Chris Lilly at BABBP chopping up smoked pork shoulder | PHUDE-nyc - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj8M6KOkyw8)

expatpig
08-24-2011, 02:27 PM
By the consistency, maybe an apple juice concoction with some acv? he didn't appear to use very much.

deguerre
08-24-2011, 02:30 PM
The restaurant serves the pork with a vinegar/cayenne sauce that is a great compliment to the pork. I can't watch the vid at work but it could be that.

Lake Dogs
08-24-2011, 02:40 PM
^^^ I think you're right.

deguerre
08-24-2011, 02:46 PM
^^^ I think you're right.

It continues, to this day from childhood, to be my favorite sauce for pork. I think he has the recipe in his cook book.

El Lobo
08-24-2011, 05:53 PM
If it's the same stuff, it seems to be all over the web

Vinegar Mop
1 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/8 cup cayenne pepper
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
2 slices of lemon

deguerre
08-24-2011, 05:54 PM
OK, now that I've seen the vid I'm pretty sure it's the vinegar cayenne sauce.

deguerre
08-24-2011, 05:55 PM
If it's the same stuff, it seems to be all over the web

Vinegar Mop
1 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/8 cup cayenne pepper
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
2 slices of lemon

Yep. That would be it. I love this stuff.

Groundhog66
08-24-2011, 05:58 PM
That's a beautiful thing right there...

Lake Dogs
08-24-2011, 06:03 PM
LOL, I love it! That's a LOT of cayenne, I can see why he uses it in small amounts.

Funny, he seems to have PLENTY of followers, and yet he shares his recipes. There are those that feel that if they do this they'll ruin their own following; I beg to differ and frankly think that it only does the opposite.

deguerre
08-24-2011, 06:24 PM
LOL, I love it! That's a LOT of cayenne, I can see why he uses it in small amounts.

Funny, he seems to have PLENTY of followers, and yet he shares his recipes. There are those that feel that if they do this they'll ruin their own following; I beg to differ and frankly think that it only does the opposite.

Yep, a chitload of cayenne. That's why I like it so much! Like I said. Gibson's was the BBQ I grew up on and that sauce is absolute killer. On a sandwich with their slaw and a touch of that sauce...man. I like to spoon a little on the top bun too. I love the way he's going to town with that scimitar!

DirtyDirty00
08-24-2011, 06:35 PM
just ate dinner.... and my mouth is watering! i want some now!!!

J'ville Grill
08-24-2011, 07:09 PM
That is a lot of cayenne, I'll have to try it some time.

deguerre
08-24-2011, 07:36 PM
That is a lot of cayenne, I'll have to try it some time.

You've got to. Like I said, it's killer.:cool:

Boshizzle
08-24-2011, 07:44 PM
ACV and cayenne is the perfect match for BBQ hands down no question you don't have an argument against it period! It will be served in Heaven no question. And blue grass banjo will be played in Heaven too. And steamed crabs with lots of black pepper and Old Bay will be served too but we are getting off topic so let's just say that ACV and cayenne is aweseome on BBQ pork!

Cabin Fever
08-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me everyone. Oddly enough, the recipe for his ACV and cayenne sauce sounds almost exactly like Scott's BBQ Sauce which is huge in North Carolina. I was finally able to score a bottle at a new Food Lion that opened near us about six months ago. Damn Good stuff! BTW, anyone know where a guy can pick up a machete (I mean a knife) like that?

I agree 100%.

MilitantSquatter
08-24-2011, 08:30 PM
Vinegar component is Webb's Distilled Colored Vinegar

check on the bottle here from the Big Apple BBQ Block Party

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1672804&postcount=41 (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1674040&highlight=big+apple+bbq#post1674040)

strange part is that a google search comes up empty on this brand of vinegar.. Maybe it's local to Decatur, Alabama.
(http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1674040&highlight=big+apple+bbq#post1674040)

Boshizzle
08-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me everyone. Oddly enough, the recipe for his ACV and cayenne sauce sounds almost exactly like Scott's BBQ Sauce which is huge in North Carolina. I was finally able to score a bottle at a new Food Lion that opened near us about six months ago. Damn Good stuff! BTW, anyone know where a guy can pick up a machete (I mean a knife) like that?

I agree 100%.

Scott's BBQ sauce rocks!

Boshizzle
08-24-2011, 08:39 PM

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1672804&postcount=41 (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1674040&highlight=big+apple+bbq#post1674040)

strange part is that a google search comes up empty on this brand of vinegar.. Maybe it's local to Decatur, Alabama.

Good point. This is Markus cooking with Lilly.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=53885&d=1307995716

Boshizzle
08-24-2011, 08:47 PM
BTW - I was told that you can't buy the Webb's vinegar from retail outlets. You can only buy it from wholesale places like Sysco or Halsey Food Service.

Anyone with connections willing to helps us backyard cooks out?

deguerre
08-24-2011, 10:26 PM

It's always nice to see your hometown mentioned.:thumb:

Cook
08-25-2011, 06:59 AM
ACV & pepper is common in North Carolina, Virginia, South Carolina, as well as Alabama.

The way Lilly used it there (sparingly and as a seasoning) is the proper way to use a vinegar sauce. This is very common.

The scimitar style knife he used can be purchased anywhere. Several brands make one (usually 10"-12"). I have a couple and enjoy using them for various purposes.

El Lobo
08-25-2011, 02:25 PM
Yep. That would be it. I love this stuff.

So is that all he puts on it for serving? Just that thin liquid?

deguerre
08-25-2011, 02:28 PM
So is that all he puts on it for serving? Just that thin liquid?

You can get a traditional sauce too at the shop (we never did when I lived there), but the pork really doesn't need it. It's more of a flavor enhancer than a flavor addition. I'll often make a sandwich with a little on the meat (It soaks in) then a vinegar slaw and a little more on the slaw and the top bun. It's veeeeeeeery good. Oh, and the cayenne does have a wee kick.

El Lobo
08-25-2011, 02:49 PM
It's still a real confusing situation here (Canada in general) for pulled pork. If I were to just put the mop on it, people would look at me like "that's it?... where's the BBQ sauce?".

Thus I've been looking for something that leaves the pork juicy enough that people don't think twice about it. This looks like the ticket.

smokeyw
08-25-2011, 03:57 PM
I feel sure that it is cayenne pepper flakes, not ground. That much ground would set you on fire. It amounts to 1 1/2 Tbsp. which is not so much for flakes or crushed. Everyone uses it in the Carolinas.

Dave Russell
08-25-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm a sucker for BBQ books, and this is what Chris Lilly says about their "Vinegar Sop Mop":

"...Big Bob didn't share North Carolinians' affinity for apple cider vinegar, preferring distilled colored vinegar instead.

This straightforward concoction has been mopped onto the restaurant's pork shoulders since the very beginning. I am pleased to reveal that this four-ingredient "secret sauce is Big Bob's original recipe; maybe now the sauce bottles on the restaurant tables will stop disappearing." Chris Lilly in "Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book"

Dave Russell
08-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Yep, ground cayenne. Here's the recipe:

6.5 cups distilled colored vinegar (sub white vinegar)
1/2 cup cayenne pepper
2 TB salt
3 slices lemon

He says to mix at least 24hrs prior to useage and store in a jar for up to 2 weeks at room temp.

deguerre
08-25-2011, 04:14 PM
I feel sure that it is cayenne pepper flakes, not ground. That much ground would set you on fire. It amounts to 1 1/2 Tbsp. which is not so much for flakes or crushed. Everyone uses it in the Carolinas.

Nope, it's ground or granulated, not flakes. It settles out pretty quickly and you have to give the bottle a good shake when you use it. And yes, it will set you on fire when used to excess.

smokeyw
08-25-2011, 05:03 PM
I will have to try it. I personally like it hot but most around here don't share my passion for the heat so I have to tone down for others. This would be perfect to keep a small bottle for myself to kick things up :becky:

Nope, it's ground or granulated, not flakes. It settles out pretty quickly and you have to give the bottle a good shake when you use it. And yes, it will set you on fire when used to excess.

Fat Woody
08-25-2011, 06:28 PM
...And yes, it will set you on fire when used to excess.

Like so many of life's other pleasures!

NS Mike D
08-25-2011, 08:54 PM
I'll have to make a batch. It seems very similar to Frank's Original Hot Sauce which is mixed with butter to form the original buffalo wing sauce.

JS-TX
08-25-2011, 09:04 PM
I need to try this on my next pulled pork. Chris Lilly knows his stuff.. gotta respect that. I think I'll pick up his book soon.

deguerre
08-26-2011, 07:44 AM
Man. All this talk got me to whip up a batch last night. Easy peasy.

As you can see, the cayenne settles out...

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b414/redhot696/Sauce-4.jpg

After a good shake...
http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b414/redhot696/shaken.jpg

This stuff is goooooooooood.

Cook
08-26-2011, 01:13 PM
When I make my grandfather's recipe there is at least 2-3 times the amount of pepper settled on the bottom than the picture of the sauce above. Big pepper fans some of us are...even the "old timers". I tried putting sugar in the recipe once and got a look from my granddad that said, "don't you ever do that, boy."

I didn't...and never have.

By the way...we use three types of pepper...and lots of it.

deguerre
08-26-2011, 03:51 PM
When I make my grandfather's recipe there is at least 2-3 times the amount of pepper settled on the bottom than the picture of the sauce above. Big pepper fans some of us are...even the "old timers". I tried putting sugar in the recipe once and got a look from my granddad that said, "don't you ever do that, boy."

I didn't...and never have.

By the way...we use three types of pepper...and lots of it.

Yep. Putting sugar with the vineger is for...

Slaw.

TheMidnightSmoker
08-26-2011, 05:17 PM
I knew I wasn't crazy for chopping my pork rather then pulling it. I abslolutely love what he did in that video. I have been putting a finishing sauce on my pork that is sort of simular to Lillys but I think I will have to give his a try. thanks for the recipe Dave.