PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Putting logo on UDS.

deltablues69
08-24-2011, 01:54 PM
Hey guys,

I am trying to get the UDS painted, lettered, and apply the logo for tailgating this weekend. I am using engine enamel that is rated at 500 degrees so I should be ok there. My question is will vinyl letters hold up to the heat or will I have to make some sort of stencil and paint them on?

What did you guys do?

Thanks for your help!!:bow:

J

chomper's bbq
08-24-2011, 02:10 PM
I just did this with my UDS. I went to a sign maker who made vinyl lettering. My UDS was painted all black rated for grills up to 1000 degrees then I placed the decal taped off the mid section and painted it yellow rated to 500 degrees then peeled off the vinyl decal. It came out great. I also put my team name on the UDS using stencils to help cut out painters tape letters that I peeled off after the paint job.

chomper's bbq
08-24-2011, 02:12 PM
PS your sign maker will have to think in reverse to get the decal right.

deltablues69
08-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Thank you so much! That's a great idea!

Brillynt
08-24-2011, 02:34 PM
I just used the magnetic car stickers for my UDS. It worked fine untill I got the temp up to 400 by accident one time.

Tricky
08-24-2011, 02:39 PM
I used a large car sticker as well. I just pulled it off when my drum got too hot, because I don't think the magnet would have lasted long at high heats.

BigBobBQ
08-24-2011, 05:30 PM
That's some great information, I was wondering how to get it done myself!

InTheRedZoneBBQ
08-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Love the car sticker idea, just makes too much sense.

kwas68
08-24-2011, 09:14 PM
I used a magnetic car sticker and it is now somewhat fixed to the drum. The vinyl portion of the sticker is starting to pucker as well. Still looks acceptable after a year of use though.
Recently, I fastened a sheet metal plate to the side of the UDS. It stands off of the drum surface by a .25" or so. I have vinyl stickers stuck to that.

brewerjamie15
08-24-2011, 09:46 PM
I have a pre-made decal. It's already mounted to a cheap-o piece of metal. I didn't want it to melt or fall off from heat so I decided to first attach a piece of square aluminum tubing to the UDS. I then cold welded the logo to the piece of square tubing. It has worked out well so far, no problems, and my first charcoal fire in there went way outta line. I had temps of almost 400 degrees F. (F- as in Fark, that's too hot).

Hotrodhog
08-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Wow! someones been forgetting to put the lid back on?

Mine is painted with regular spray paint and hand pinstriped, its never melted off at all.
Then again I keep my lid on and cook no higher than 350.

Send pron!!