PDA

View Full Version : Most difficult to close CL SCORE I have ever had

Harbormaster
08-24-2011, 12:27 PM
So I see a CL ad in Madison for a portable Weber grill. Guy has a link in the ad to Amazon for a Weber Smokey Joe Gold, exactly what I wanted to build a Smokey Jose. So I e-mail the guy, tell him I'll give him a little more than he's asking and try to arrange a time to get it (about 2 miles from my office).

I chit you not, over the course of a week and a half, it took 11 e-mails, 2 phone calls, a text message, and the jackwagon bumping his ad on 2 separate occassions before I finally picked it up today.

So I knock on the door, tell him I'm there for the grill. He says it's out back. I walk behind the house and meet him by the garage. He picks up and hands me a JUMBO JOE!

Needless to say I was pshyched!

It isn't what I wanted, and I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with it, but at least I have it now, and it will land in the hands (one way or another) of a Brethren who will appreciate it!

SCORE!!!

caliking
08-24-2011, 01:24 PM
You lucky dog. I've been itching to get one of those... missed one by 35mins a few months ago. Yes, I know I could take an 18.5 kettle and mod it to be a Jumbo Joe, but its not the same.

Congrats. At least your trouble was worth it in the end.

cdollar
08-24-2011, 01:59 PM
OK, I'll bite. What's a Jumbo Joe?

Harbormaster
08-24-2011, 02:09 PM
OK, I'll bite. What's a Jumbo Joe?
It's an 18.5" smokey Joe. Basically a portable 18.5" kettle that has vents higher up on the side like a Smokey Joe Gold.

jmellor
08-24-2011, 02:12 PM
Sweet. Of course you know we will all want to see some pics!

caseydog
08-24-2011, 02:24 PM
I've been looking for one of those for a LONG time for my camping gatherings. If you don't want it, I'll buy it from you, and pay to ship it down here.

PM me if you want to make a deal.

CD

Phubar
08-24-2011, 02:34 PM
Score!!!
Brother Spiffs got one too I...very rare units I believe so.

cdollar
08-24-2011, 02:43 PM
It's an 18.5" smokey Joe. Basically a portable 18.5" kettle that has vents higher up on the side like a Smokey Joe Gold.

Thanks.
I learn something new every day.

Chuck

Harbormaster
08-24-2011, 11:13 PM
If you don't want it, I'll buy it from you, and pay to ship it down here.

Sorry CD, if I decide to sell it there is another Brethren much closer who has dibs.

But I do appreciate the offer, and appreciate even more what kind of score I got.

Been scraping the insides clean. There's a little porcelain chippage around one of the leg holes, but that will be covered by the patented Wyocena Yacht Club Smokey Joe Leg Reinforcement mod (aka "SoLeR").

I'll pick up some new stainless nuttage and boltage to get her all fixed up right.

ReCurve
08-25-2011, 08:37 PM
what is a Smokey Jose?
well I still haven't figured out how to search this site, but I found a new in the box Weber smoky Joe silver in my mother in laws car, and I would like to make a a smokey Jose, but can't find any build plans so any links would be a appreciated.

El Ropo
08-25-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm thinking the smokey jose' is a mini UDS, or mini WSM?

Harbormaster
08-25-2011, 10:14 PM
what is a Smokey Jose? I'm thinking the smokey jose' is a mini UDS, or mini WSM?It's a mini-WSM made out of a Smokey Joe (silver or gold) and an IMUSA 32 quart tamale steamer.

Just finished reassembling the Jumbo Joe (with SoLeR mods) after it got a serious cleaning.

Chef Jim
08-25-2011, 10:31 PM
Matt and jmellon had threads not too long ago. If I can find it I will post.

KnucklHed BBQ
08-26-2011, 01:33 AM
I've been looking for one of those for a LONG time for my camping gatherings. If you don't want it, I'll buy it from you, and pay to ship it down here.

PM me if you want to make a deal.

CD

I saw A grey one in swamprb's garage a month ago... Sounded like he was willing to part with it... Looked like it was in great shape too! Shoot him a pm, blame it on me.

Smokey Al Gold
08-26-2011, 12:42 PM
Nice score!!! I lucked out and got one off ebay a few years back and they are convienent to have thats for sure. The only thing I don't like is the placement of the air vents but it's a great camping cooker and tailgating unit. The portability and ability to cook alot of food makes it a great tool to have. Cherish it!