PDA

View Full Version : eBay smoker in Oregon

thillin
04-20-2005, 01:11 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20723&item=4373588126&rd=1

For those in the Northwest.

Hoorenga
04-20-2005, 10:57 AM
Anyone know which brand it is? Home made? Any coments welcome. Might have to take a road trip to Oregon. Salem is about a three to four hour drive from here. Could happen. I'll ask the seller about it as well.

Hoo

BrooklynQ
04-20-2005, 10:59 AM
Hoo - No disrespect intended - but ebay has a link on the add where you can ask the seller a question. Use that - you'll get more answers there.

jt
04-20-2005, 11:03 AM
It's a Brinkmann. Looks similar to the Cimarron. Here's a link http://www.thebrinkmanncorp.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=8&User_ID=1199418&st=5394&st2=-67253021&st3=72843947&Product_ID=81&CATID=6

and Brinkmann's cooker's main page http://www.thebrinkmanncorp.com/acb/showprod.cfm?&DID=8&CATID=6&ObjectGroup_ID=15

Hoorenga
04-20-2005, 12:03 PM
It's a Brinkmann. Looks similar to the Cimarron. Here's a link http://www.thebrinkmanncorp.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=8&User_ID=1199418&st=5394&st2=-67253021&st3=72843947&Product_ID=81&CATID=6

and Brinkmann's cooker's main page http://www.thebrinkmanncorp.com/acb/showprod.cfm?&DID=8&CATID=6&ObjectGroup_ID=15

Yeah but he probably isn't as friendly or fast as you guys. I did submit a question through ebay but no telling how long before I get an answer. The bidding ends tonight. It looks to be a Brinkman Stillwater Limited that sells for around $700. No way to tell for sure because I think they changed the models slightly. Any coments on these for quality. I was going to have the Bandara shipped to me for $325 but if I can get this one for around the same money I might go for it if it's a better smoker. I know, better is a realative term here but I'm talkin' over all. I realize it probably doesn't smoke any better and a good cook can cook on anything.... How about an over all rating of 1 to 10. Give me a rating on the Bandara and on the Brinkman. Lets set the upper standard of 10 as a Klose.

Bigdog
04-20-2005, 12:23 PM
Hoo,
KCquer would be much more knowledgeable than me on this, but this is a nice smoker. The 1/4 steel would hold temps better than a Bandera, as well as use less wood. But it is a horizontal smoker, and I prefere a vertical beacuse I like to stack stuff to get a natural basting. You also cannot cook as much meat at one time, but that may not be important to you. JMHO

jt
04-20-2005, 12:29 PM
I haven't cooked on the Brinkmann. Here's a sales writeup on the Stillwater: http://store.barbecue-smoker-grill.com/stsm.html

When you compare it to the Cimarron on the same site they are the same size - looks like the Stillwater has different shelves.

Bandera will hold more meat. So again, capacity is gonna be your guide here.

Will it be a good smoker? Yes. Heavy duty steel will last longer than the Bandera.

Jorge
04-20-2005, 01:23 PM

Yeah but he probably isn't as friendly or fast as you guys. I did submit a question through ebay but no telling how long before I get an answer. The bidding ends tonight. It looks to be a Brinkman Stillwater Limited that sells for around $700. No way to tell for sure because I think they changed the models slightly. Any coments on these for quality. I was going to have the Bandara shipped to me for $325 but if I can get this one for around the same money I might go for it if it's a better smoker. I know, better is a realative term here but I'm talkin' over all. I realize it probably doesn't smoke any better and a good cook can cook on anything.... How about an over all rating of 1 to 10. Give me a rating on the Bandara and on the Brinkman. Lets set the upper standard of 10 as a Klose.

Go for it. Get the best of both worlds. Within the last week I thought you had decided to get a WSM since you didn't need the capacity of something bigger. This option gives you less capacity than Bandera or BSKD. It burns sticks easily if you want to go that route. It's heavier steel and has been pointed out will have better heat retention than the Bandera/BSKD. If capacity isn't the issue and you give me the choice between this model and a Bandera/BSKD and the price you are looking at I take this Brinkman. I'm not going to get into rating pits on a scale. It would just be my opinion, I'd offend someone and more likely than not I wouldn't have the experience with the pit to make that rating worth a flip.

Now, make your decision buy some meat, smoke it,and come back and tell us how smart you were waiting for the right smoker :D

brdbbq
04-20-2005, 01:27 PM
Now, make your decision buy some meat, smoke it,and come back and tell us how smart you were waiting for the right smoker

I suspect I will have new teef by then
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hoorenga
04-20-2005, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I know, I've been bouncing around like a marble in an empty pickle jar. That's just my style. It works for me. I think this is the one if the bidding doesn't get to out of hand. I don't need quantity, just me, the wife and a few occasional guests. Thanks for the feedback.

Hoo

BrooklynQ
04-20-2005, 03:17 PM
Again, no disrespect intended cause I know I bounce ideas around a long time before i make a decision too, but, you have me wondering, just kinda wondering, if it takes you this long to decide on a smoker, how long did it take you to decide on marrying your wife? :wink: :mrgreen:

Hoorenga
04-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Again, no disrespect intended cause I know I bounce ideas around a long time before i make a decision too, but, you have me wondering, just kinda wondering, if it takes you this long to decide on a smoker, how long did it take you to decide on marrying your wife? :wink: :mrgreen:

No offense taken. Same thing, checked out a few before I settled in on the one I eventually kept. I think we knew each other for two years before the wedding. It paid off in the long run because I knew what I wanted by then. Same thing with the smoker. I have had three now and have learned a lot in the process. I started off with one of those cheapie WSM knock offs that you can get for $45. It worked and I used it for cold smoking as well. I then upgraded to a CharGriller. One of the inexpensive models with a side fire box. That being my first attempt at stick burning I became frustrated and sold it to a friend. I should have gone from there to a WSM but I picked up a "The Great Outdoors" vertical, charcoal model next. That one was pretty good. I'm still enjoying using it. I just want something a little more substantial and I think I'm ready to try another stick burner. Lots of free wood around these parts. The one sounds like a good fit for me. Now If I can just get it in the trunk of my Cadallac. Don't laugh.

chad
04-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Oh ****! New criteria: it has to fit in your Cadillac.

What model? Do you need it in the trunk or back seat? :twisted:

brdbbq
04-20-2005, 03:59 PM
If I can just get it in the trunk of my Cadallac

What year is the trunk ?

jt
04-20-2005, 04:04 PM
remove the bodies first

Bill-Chicago
04-20-2005, 04:09 PM
Hook it to the hitch, and go slow around turns

thillin
04-20-2005, 06:08 PM
4 hours to go .... $250

icemn62
04-20-2005, 06:14 PM
Place a Bid Hoo!!!!

Hoorenga
04-20-2005, 06:31 PM
Place a Bid Hoo!!!!

Placing a bid now only gets everyone excited and drives the price up. I wait untill the last few seconds to drop my top price in. That way it usually catches the other bidders sleeping. I know exactly what it is worth to me and I will bid that amount. If it goes for less, lucky me. If it goes for more, I didn't want it any way.

Doug

Bigdog
04-20-2005, 08:02 PM
I thought that you said that you had a pick-em-up truck? :?

Hoorenga
04-20-2005, 08:20 PM
Yeah but it gets 10mpg and the Caddie gets 24 on the road. Might take the Truck if I win the bidding. My bidding finger is poised and waiting.

The_Kapn
04-20-2005, 09:02 PM
Yeah but it gets 10mpg and the Caddie gets 24 on the road. Might take the Truck if I win the bidding. My bidding finger is poised and waiting.
Ebay has "price watch".
Just pick your max bid--enter it--and relax :twisted:
If ya get it for less--great.
If it goes over--so be it!

Chill out and enjoy :lol:
TIM

Hoorenga
04-20-2005, 09:24 PM
That's the problem. For example, your curent bid is $20 and your max bid is $60. Several people are interested in the item and the bidding begins. $25, $27, $30 and on past your high bid of $60. My technique is to not even enter the bidding at all. Why add fuel to the fire? (no pun) It is called sniping and is frowned upon by some but is perfectly legal and used by many eBay participants. You wait untill the last possible minute. The high bidder isn't worried because his only visable competition has aparently dropped out of the running. He may have a few more dollars to go before reaching his high bid amount but things have slowed down and he is confident of his curent bid. That's when I move in. I have determined by what ever means that this item is worth more to me than the curent bid. I determin exactly what that amount is and no more. I wait untill fifteen seconds before the bell and place my one and only bid. This usually catches everyone off guard and I often win the bid for less than what it would have gone for if I had entered the bidding and driven it up. Takes a bit of work but the rush is worth it. If that's mean and nasty, I'm sorry.

Hoo

The_Kapn
04-20-2005, 09:37 PM
That's the problem. For example, your curent bid is $20 and your max bid is $60. Several people are interested in the item and the bidding begins. $25, $27, $30 and on past your high bid of $60. My technique is to not even enter the bidding at all. Why add fuel to the fire? (no pun) It is called sniping and is frowned upon by some but is perfectly legal and used by many eBay participants. You wait untill the last possible minute. The high bidder isn't worried because his only visable competition has aparently dropped out of the running. He may have a few more dollars to go before reaching his high bid amount but things have slowed down and he is confident of his curent bid. That's when I move in. I have determined by what ever means that this item is worth more to me than the curent bid. I determin exactly what that amount is and no more. I wait untill fifteen seconds before the bell and place my one and only bid. This usually catches everyone off guard and I often win the bid for less than what it would have gone for if I had entered the bidding and driven it up. Takes a bit of work but the rush is worth it. If that's mean and nasty, I'm sorry.

Hoo
Hoo,
I know about sniping and I do not feel it is mean, nasty, or anything else! Obsessive--YES :cry:

I do know that when I want a product (kooker in this case), I look at my needs, look at the market, look at my budget, and buy the thing!

I do not stress out over the whole operation and "throw away" valuable time with the thing I that I have decided that I needed or wanted in the first place!

Should have followed my own advice for my first marriage :twisted:
But, this is a Farkin' kooker--not the Mother of your children!

JMHO.

TIM

Bill-Chicago
04-20-2005, 09:54 PM
Alright Hoo, this is getting farking crazy, even by this groups standards.

Your analogy of a marble bouncing around a pickle jar isnt even close. More like a super ball inside a dryer set on perpetual spin.

So stop with the comparisons, stop with the searching, stop with the farking sniping on ebay, leave the Caddy in the farking garage, and go here to bid:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004U9VA/qid=1114048202/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8__i1_xgl86/102-4360398-1428114?v=glance&s=garden&n=507846

Bid on this for $179.99, no more, no less.

Sit back, and wait for it to come to you.

I'm not telling you what to do, but am bleeding from my eyes when you continually flip flop on buying a damn smoker.

Hell, buy a $30 Brinkman bullet. We'll help you out then. We are on the verge of opening a "How Not to Decide on a Smoker Forum" and these posts will all go in there, cuz this is insane.

mook
04-20-2005, 10:11 PM
Happened to read this post a minute before the auction was over and got to watch the final bid.

CONGRATS HOO!!!!!!!!

Happy cooking

Hoorenga
04-20-2005, 10:15 PM
Hope some of you were watching the bidding on eBay. CAUSE I WON!!!! $255 was my winning bid. Now it's just a trip to Salem Oregon (one of them thair southern states) and she's mine, all mine!!! Salem is about Three hours from here. I'll calm down now and get back to some serious BBQing. Thank you all for your guidance and tolerance, especially you Thillin for pointing out the add on eBay.

The_Kapn
04-20-2005, 10:19 PM
Hope some of you were watching the bidding on eBay. CAUSE I WON!!!! $255 was my winning bid. Now it's just a trip to Salem Oregon (one of them thair southern states) and she's mine, all mine!!! Salem is about Three hours from here. I'll calm down now and get back to some serious BBQing. Thank you all for your guidance and tolerance, especially you Thillin for pointing out the add on eBay.
HOORAY!

TIM

tommykendall
04-20-2005, 10:28 PM
Woo Hoo Hoo! He won!!

icemn62
04-20-2005, 11:16 PM
Hoo, won the auction for the smoker. His was the highest bid at $255.00 entered at 7:13 PDT.
Congrats Hoo, now go get and fire it up, please. I can not wait to read the posts when you decide what your first cook will be.

parrothead
04-21-2005, 06:43 AM
You go, Hoo!

kcquer
04-21-2005, 07:40 AM
Hoo, Nice pit Bro!! You're gonna like it alot!! :D Congrats!

Solidkick
04-21-2005, 07:50 AM
Well, SOB!!! I never figured Hoo would own a pit in my lifetime........
Congrats Bro..........!!!

And you can line the firebox with brick.....best of all worlds.........

thillin
04-21-2005, 11:23 AM
No prob Hoo. I was thinking of ya when I saw the location. Might take a buddy. I bet she's real heavy. Let us know when you go get her.

jt
04-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Might take a buddy
and the truck

Hoorenga
04-21-2005, 12:16 PM
I got such a good deal on the smoker I figure I can splurg a little and take that gas hog of a truck. I loaded a set of ramps so I can roll the little beauty right in all by myself if I have to. Got tie down straps too. Won't be home untill late tonight. I'm taking off right after work and it is at least a six hour drive round trip. I'm pumped. Should be fun. Am also going to drop off an inflatable raft in Portland that I sold on eBay. Just a coincidence that I'm able to do that but what the hell, I'm going that way any way. Save the guy $50 in shipping.

Hoo

icemn62
04-21-2005, 12:28 PM
But, when will you have that 1st smoke? Good luck on the trip, hope everything comes out okay

Bigdog
04-21-2005, 12:55 PM
Congrats Hoo.

Hoorenga
04-22-2005, 01:50 AM
Just got back from Salem 350 mile round trip. Took the pick me up truck and a set of ramps. When I got there it was pretty straight forward, didn't have to check the compression or tires or anything so I just paid the man his money, rolled her on board, tied her down and hit the road. It was to late and I'm too tired to roll it off tonight so she sits in the truck untill tomorrow envining. It came with a nice Brinkman cover that I hadn't expected I'll probably fire her up Saturday or Sunday and do a small roast or chicken just to let her know that she has a new home and will be well cared for. Night all. I'm going to dream of ribbs and roasts tonight.

Hoo

Neil
04-22-2005, 04:12 AM
Amen Bill.