PDA

View Full Version : Pre smoking ribs?

kylersk
08-23-2011, 04:44 PM
There will be about 18 of us getting together in a couple of weeks and we will not have access to a smoker. Maybe a weber, gasser and stove. Anyways, I thought maybe I could pre smoke the ribs at home on my UDS a few days before.
Good idea or not?
If good idea, could you give me tips on how long to smoke them, store them and reheat?
Thanks!

DirtyDirty00
08-23-2011, 04:49 PM
I cooked up 6 racks for a party a few months ago. I cooked em fully the day before then when I got to the party I just reheated em on the grill. Bout 5 minus on each side. U can also use the oven. Some peeps should have good ideas. They gave me some

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

mmmmeat
08-23-2011, 04:51 PM
id say yeah, and freeze em?? i wouldnt slice the ribs up til you are ready to eat em ( except to fit in a freezer bag/ vacuum bag. then heat up i dont see why it wouldnt work.

expatpig
08-23-2011, 05:13 PM
I love my ribs leftover, I believe all of the flavors from the rub and the smoke intensify when refrigerated and reheated.

BrewerDJ
08-23-2011, 05:17 PM
I do this all the time. When I go to a picnic I usually bring ribs. Smoked the day or 2 before hand and them put in the fridge. Reheating on the grill also gives a real nice bark.

Meat Burner
08-23-2011, 05:30 PM
We do that all the time. It works just fine. If in the frig, a couple of days is probably okay. More that that, I would consider freezing, even if just a day or two. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Blackened
08-23-2011, 05:53 PM
I do it all the time as well, for camping trips, tailgating etc.

I get them right to the point when you would start saucing, pull, cool down and vaccuum seal them and into the fridge. I've even kept them in an ice chest for a couple days, camping.

Then just reheat and glaze on the Weber, and serve.. Just as good as if they were smoked that day.

gtr
08-23-2011, 06:43 PM
I worked in a bbq restaurant in TN and that was the standard way of doing it. Smoke 'em ahead of time, refrigerate and reheat on the grill.

Bbq Bubba
08-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupppppppppppp!

H2OFowl
08-23-2011, 08:26 PM
I learned the 3-2-1 method here. (3 hours smoke, 2 hours foil wrapped, 1 hour sauced)

Thanks to all!

I've been using the 3-2 method for pre-cook and sauce them on the gasser or at the party/picnic.

Works great. Also allows you to hang out with the guests.

Jeff :clap2:

tmehlhorn
08-23-2011, 08:28 PM
if you have a grill a grill will work fine. A method i use alot for this is sous vide well sorta. sous vide is time consuming but you can adapt a quicker method, do this. smoke them completely season, sauce or whatever you do to your ribs. Place ribs in vaccum bag and seal. then day you cook them just cook them in hot water in the bags. this will seal in all the juices and flavors you created along with moisture and they will not dry out.

Crazy Harry
08-23-2011, 09:26 PM
when you pre smoke them, cook them fully, ready to eat. DO NOT half cook then finish cooking later, that is asking for food poisoning.

Blackened
08-23-2011, 09:44 PM
when you pre smoke them, cook them fully, ready to eat. DO NOT half cook then finish cooking later, that is asking for food poisoning.

Considering they're safe at 160, and they're not tender until probably 200, I wouldn't worry about that..

bigticket1
08-24-2011, 07:24 AM
if you have a grill a grill will work fine. A method i use alot for this is sous vide well sorta. sous vide is time consuming but you can adapt a quicker method, do this. smoke them completely season, sauce or whatever you do to your ribs. Place ribs in vaccum bag and seal. then day you cook them just cook them in hot water in the bags. this will seal in all the juices and flavors you created along with moisture and they will not dry out.
When you seal them in bags,do you slice them up first or do whole slabs ?

aquablue22
08-24-2011, 08:45 AM
I do this all the time, actually have about 5 racks in the freezer for reserve. Cook them fully, do not slice and I wrap them in foil and Vac-U-Suck them and into the freezer, let them thaw out and a few minutes on each side on the gasser and your good to go.