PDA

View Full Version : BBq grill burns down 2 houses


Theboz1419
08-23-2011, 12:46 PM
I was over at another forum and came across this. I don't know if it had been posted on here, yet. I did a quick check and did not see it.



http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/fire-reported-in-wells-branch-area



If I was doing any BBq'ing in or around Texas, I would make sure the BBq was not close to anything, that could remotely catch on fire. As everything down there has to be driest can be. Luckly nobody was injuried.

On the same thread I found that lnk. The person who started the thread took this piture of his neighbor's grill. I thought I would post it here, as I know non of the BBq Brethrens would never be as stupid, lol.

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/4783/thumb5j.jpg
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26227694-Solutions-for-my-neighbors-Barbecue.

Thats an accident waiting to happen :shocked:

colonel00
08-23-2011, 12:49 PM
wow, Darwin Award candidates for sure

Kenny Rogers
08-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the heads-up! Some people need to be reminded of common sense stuff from time to time! LOL

Lake Dogs
08-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Dont blame the grill. It's not the grill, it's the grill owner.

Theboz1419
08-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Dont blame the grill. It's not the grill, it's the grill owner.

So true, I had a roommate not to long ago try to burn down our deck and house, using my UDS. I did not really like him using it as he would be beyond drunk when he would use it. I was asleep at the time he decided to put a hole in the deck from not closing off the air inlets and not putting the lid on all the way.

You could say the UDS is basically one big chimmy starter if you are not carefull

rip1797
08-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Add deep frying to the list...

"The U.S. Fire Administration (http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/downloads/pdf/statistics/v11i5.pdf) said about 4,300 Thanksgiving Day fires occurred each year between 2006 and 2008, resulting in 10 deaths and 50 injuries. Of those fires, 69% were caused by cooking, with 97% being small, confined fires that caused little damage, UL said in a report released earlier this month. How many of those fires were from fryers, the report did not detail."

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2010/11/11/thanksgiving-warning-deep-fried-turkey-a-danger/

hamiltont
08-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Had a neighbor melt his vinyl siding with a gasser. What was he thinking? Oh wait, he wasn't thinking. Cheers!!!

Phubar
08-23-2011, 01:06 PM
So true, I had a roommate not to long ago try to burn down our deck and house, using my UDS. I did not really like him using it as he would be beyond drunk when he would use it. I was asleep at the time he decided to put a hole in the deck from not closing off the air inlets and not putting the lid on all the way.

You could say the UDS is basically one big chimmy starter if you are not carefull



I remember that story!

My UDS's are close next to my house...but...my house is made of bricks.

Good thing nobody got injured or worse!

Theboz1419
08-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Luckly, that roommate is no longer at the house, He did repair the damage. Although, lol, he used a different stain on the wood he replaces and is very noticable. :rolleyes:

gtr
08-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Another reminder to keep a fully charged fire extinguisher handy - fully charged and handy being key words here.

Terry Knife
08-23-2011, 03:47 PM
I'd like to think my neighbors would do a bit more than stand around with their kids in tow and cell phones in hand filming while my house burned down, and I'm fairly sure they would. Was I mistaken in seeing someone in a white shirt escorted out of one of the houses towards the end of the video?

reeltor
08-23-2011, 09:27 PM
A number of years ago some yoyo put his charcoal grill in his --I guess it's cross between a sun room and a screened patio. Vinyl on half walls with screening then covered roof with more vinyl. It was drizzling off and on for a few days and he decides to use gasoline to start the charcoal. He burned down 10 homes before they got it contained.

Just to expand on what gtr said,---I watched the Fire Department inspect and service dry chemical extinguishers, they would spray the nozzle with WD40 and (turn it over) hit the bottom a few times with a dead blow hammer. They said the dry chemical would cake and pack in the bottom and not spray out correctly unless loosened up.

Johnny_Crunch
08-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Be nice if the bozos with the camera grabbed a hose instead of stand there and watch.

Frank Grimes
08-24-2011, 06:12 AM
I run my WSM in my bedroom. Is that not a good idea? Seriously though, how you have a grill butting up against your siding and think a fire wouldn't happen is mind boggling.

Ribbin' Randy
08-24-2011, 06:39 AM
It's amazing how many people do this. I sold siding years ago and must have sold at least 10 jobs to knuckle heads who grilled too close to their house.:doh: