PDA

View Full Version : Im a northerner ready to try VINEGAR sauce... any good recipes?

DirtyDirty00
08-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Ive tried once before, but i failed miserably. I would like to give it another good shot. Ill probably be making ribs, so if anyone has any good suggestions for a rib based vinegar sauce let me know. Should i baste them with it while they cook or do i just put it on at the end like i would with any other bbq sauce?

thanks!

N8man
08-23-2011, 12:51 PM
This is a good recipe to start you out...

http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/recipes/lexingtonstyle_dip.html

DirtyDirty00
08-23-2011, 02:45 PM
thank you sir. i will give it a go!

Cook
08-23-2011, 04:27 PM
...or do i just put it on at the end like i would with any other bbq sauce?

I may be taking this out of context with my answer, but it gives me the opportunity to talk about it. No, you do not put it on like any other bbq sauce.

Vinegar "sauce" really isn't a sauce in the literal meaning. Most folks that are used to the thick and/or sweet sauces tend to use way more vinegar sauce than is necessary. I feel the direct cause of this is because people are used to seeing their sauce right there on top of their meat. I mean...it's right there...you just poured or squeezed it on there...you can see it...it's right there!

With a vinegar sauce you have to remember this stuff is liquid. It's not going to just sit on top. It's not going to stay where you put it and stare back at you. The vinegar is going to flow throughout your meat...that's why it is so good on the finely chopped barbecue you get in eastern north Carolina. This allows for great sauce distribution throughout the meat. Just because you can not see the sauce does not mean "hey I need to add more!"

Also, the notion of "saucing" the meat does not relate to vinegar sauce very well. In North Carolina where this style is undoubtedly most prevalent the sauce is used more as a seasoning than as a sauce per se. When chopping the barbecue it is quite common to season with a little salt and some of the hot vinegar & pepper sauce...mixing everything together as a way to accent the natural flavor of the pork. I hope that makes sense. The vinegar sauce is a seasoning that when properly used is done so in a fairly conservative manner.

Most folks that I have personally seen with my own eyes that have tried and utterly hated a vinegar sauce usually have felt the way they do because they used too much. From the amounts of sauce some people add to their pork it is no wonder they don't like it.

So with ALL THAT said...the biggest lesson to take from the mumbo jumbo above is to not use too much of the sauce. Start with an extremely small amount and add a bit more if you feel necessary.

deguerre
08-23-2011, 04:30 PM
I may be taking this out of context with my answer, but it gives me the opportunity to talk about it. No, you do not put it on like any other bbq sauce.

Vinegar "sauce" really isn't a sauce in the literal meaning. Most folks that are used to the thick and/or sweet sauces tend to use way more vinegar sauce than is necessary. I feel the direct cause of this is because people are used to seeing their sauce right there on top of their meat. I mean...it's right there...you just poured or squeezed it on there...you can see it...it's right there!

With a vinegar sauce you have to remember this stuff is liquid. It's not going to just sit on top. It's not going to stay where you put it and stare back at you. The vinegar is going to flow throughout your meat...that's why it is so good on the finely chopped barbecue you get in eastern north Carolina. This allows for great sauce distribution throughout the meat. Just because you can not see the sauce does not mean "hey I need to add more!"

Also, the notion of "saucing" the meat does not relate to vinegar sauce very well. In North Carolina where this style is undoubtedly most prevalent the sauce is used more as a seasoning than as a sauce per se. When chopping the barbecue it is quite common to season with a little salt and some of the hot vinegar & pepper sauce...mixing everything together as a way to accent the natural flavor of the pork. I hope that makes sense. The vinegar sauce is a seasoning that when properly used is done so in a fairly conservative manner.

Most folks that I have personally seen with my own eyes that have tried and utterly hated a vinegar sauce usually have felt the way they do because they used too much. From the amounts of sauce some people add to their pork it is no wonder they don't like it.

So with ALL THAT said...the biggest lesson to take from the mumbo jumbo above is to not use too much of the sauce. Start with an extremely small amount and add a bit more if you feel necessary.

Well said. Perfect in fact.

Team DD
08-23-2011, 04:35 PM
I made some sauce a few weeks ago and it just did not have the consistency I was looking for. I was cooking some wings last night, so I decided I was going to tweak my vinegar sauce a little. I put it in a sauce pan and added more ketchup till I got the consistency I was looking for. Well, those wings left here!!!

Brian in Maine
08-23-2011, 04:43 PM
I've made this sauce several times and it is always a hit.

Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce

(An outstanding recipe by professional chef "Chez" John Eddy of Topeka, KS. Somewhat similar to Blues Hog Tennessee Red.)

1 quart cider vinegar
12 oz Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 T red pepper flakes
2 T salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp celery seed
2 T Worcestershire sauce
Juice of one lemon
1 T chipotle powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 T onion powder

Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes. Let cool, and bottle. Great with Carolina style pulled pork BBQ sands

I also serve a more traditional sauce for those that don't care for vinegar based.

Lake Dogs
08-23-2011, 05:29 PM
I know you want to make your own, and there are some very good recipes out there. I like some and dont like others. However, for me, Blues Hog Tennessee Red is something else. You can purchase a small jar for around $4; not a terribly expensive experiment. Even my wife, who doesnt care for vinegar much, LOVES this sauce.

jrbBBQ
08-23-2011, 05:31 PM
Buy a jar of Blues Hog Tennessee Red, I doubt I'll ever use anything else than this for my pulled pork. I don't really like the smell of it and not a fan of it on many things, but it is by far the best thing I've ever put on a pp sandwich, besides a nice slaw.

Matt_A
08-23-2011, 06:01 PM
If you want to "ease in" to a vinegar sauce, you can try my Carolina Sauce, it's a vinegar and mustard sauce.

If you've never had Carolina style sauce before, do not expect it to taste like what most people away from the Southeast know as "Barbecue Sauce". There's no tomato in this sauce, it will not taste like K.C Masterpiece. So prepare yourself for a sauce that will transform your pork into a juicy, tangy, wonderful meal! You owe it to yourself to try this!

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?saved&&note_id=477221568235

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/156970_1241153686890_1770770671_480154_6646793_n.j pg

J'ville Grill
08-23-2011, 06:26 PM
What Cook said. I'd like to suggest that you try it on pulled pork instead of ribs.

landarc
08-23-2011, 06:29 PM
When you say it did not have the 'consistency' you were looking for, were you expecting it to have a thickness other than that of vinegar? When we are talking vinegar sauce, I assume we are talking about seasoned vinegar, not mustard sauces or red sauces, but, vinegar with some salt, sugar and pepper. I don't consider Carolina Mustard sauce or Southern Red Sauce (what I know as Memphis red sauce) as vinegar sauces.

DirtyDirty00
08-23-2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks everyone. Ya I guess I will wait to try the vinegar sauce on my next pork butt instead of ribs. When I tried last year the pork was swimming in it. I put too much. No wonder why. Haha. Next time ill do just a little and see

Thanks for the advise!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

smokinQ2
08-23-2011, 08:44 PM
I vote with rest of Brethren on Blues Hog Tenn Red on just about everything. Save your vinegar sauce for Pulled Pork. I base my sauces on my NC Eastern Style sauce and then add ketchup, sugar, spices until I like it. Keep trying and you will come up with some great stuff...

Matt_A
08-23-2011, 09:07 PM
I don't consider Carolina Mustard sauce or Southern Red Sauce (what I know as Memphis red sauce) as vinegar sauces.

Nope, in truth my Carolina Sauce isn't strictly a vinegar sauce, however, there is much more vinegar flavor in it than in any KC Style sauce, and it is quite a bit thinner. I suggested it as a "transitional" sauce, you know, testing the water with your toe rather than cannonballing right in to full-fledged vinegar sauce.

smokinQ2
08-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Blues Hog Tenn Red!! :-D

1MoreFord
08-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Here's a recipe that, while not a true vinegar sauce, has enough vinegar to be a transitional sauce to see if you like real vinegar sauce. This is more like a Piedmont or western NC sauce. Like a real vinegar sauce this is best used sparingly.

http://www.ibdjohn.com/shack/

smokeyokie
08-24-2011, 09:40 PM
vinegar sauce is intended for pulled pork.... on ribs if you must... i have recipe I use and all my folks love it... you have had a ton of suggestions here and for the most part they are basically the same other than mustard or ketchup.... I suggest that you pick a base line type sauce and tailor it too your taste that is what I did... best of luck and let us know what you came up with!!!! Smoke on Brother!!!:thumb: This is why I love this site becauce you can gain so much info from it.... I love the Brethren!!!!

Cook
08-25-2011, 07:03 AM
I don't consider Carolina Mustard sauce or Southern Red Sauce (what I know as Memphis red sauce) as vinegar sauces.

You put that perfectly. Mustard, or other types of sauces, are not the same as a vinegar pepper sauce.

deguerre
08-25-2011, 07:18 AM
You put that perfectly. Mustard, or other types of sauces, are not the same as a vinegar pepper sauce.

Yep. Similar in concept to splashing your greens with pepper sauce.

On edit - this kind

http://ourfamilycookbook.com/Photos/food/PepperSauce.JPG

Lake Dogs
08-25-2011, 07:43 AM
If you haven't read, Chris Lilly uses this:

1 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/8 cup cayenne pepper
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
2 slices of lemon

Mind you, it's more of a mop or a spritz at the end than it is a sauce... Definitely pretty much pulled pork only...

jestridge
08-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Keep it simple cider vingar red pepper flakes . brown sugar a little ketchup for color

caseydog
08-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Dr. BBQ's Vinegar-Based Barbecue Sauce

2 cups cider vinegar
cup packed brown sugar
3 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon each: black pepper, white pepper
teaspoon ground red pepper

Combine ingredients in a large bowl; mix well. Let stand about 2 hours to blend flavors. Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.

Source: McClatchy Newspapers

Theboz1419
08-25-2011, 01:46 PM
I've made this sauce several times and it is always a hit.

Fat Johnny's Bastardized Piedmont Sauce

(An outstanding recipe by professional chef "Chez" John Eddy of Topeka, KS. Somewhat similar to Blues Hog Tennessee Red.)

1 quart cider vinegar
12 oz Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 T red pepper flakes
2 T salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp celery seed
2 T Worcestershire sauce
Juice of one lemon
1 T chipotle powder
1 tsp dry mustard
1 T onion powder

Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes. Let cool, and bottle. Great with Carolina style pulled pork BBQ sands

I also serve a more traditional sauce for those that don't care for vinegar based.

I too Love this one I have 3 containers of it in the fridge :thumb: