PDA

View Full Version : Lobster

Oliverbbq
08-23-2011, 11:47 AM
I have a question. Me and my girl are going up north and staying in a cabin for a few days for our anniversary. We are mostly going to go out to eat but I'd like to cook her a meal while we're up there. I thought lobster wouldn't be to shabby, but I have no experience with seafood. Does anybody have a quick (good) recipe for throwin down on some lobster? The cabins have gas grills and stoves so that's what I have to work with. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

J'ville Grill
08-23-2011, 12:04 PM
If it's like Maine lobster I'd steam it and serve with drawn butter.

deguerre
08-23-2011, 12:06 PM
We started a thread asking a similar question and got some really good suggestions:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112890

Oliverbbq
08-23-2011, 12:10 PM
We started a thread asking a similar question and got some really good suggestions:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112890

Thank you. Funny actually.. I posted in that thread and forgot about it.

deguerre
08-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Thank you. Funny actually.. I posted in that thread and forgot about it.

So you did!:becky:

Redhot posted the cook thread...this is what we decided to do.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113376

No reason you couldn't use a gas grill with a foil bomb for a little smoke flavor.

jmellor
08-23-2011, 01:51 PM
I think it depends on what you have to work with. I think Redhot did lobster tails. If you have Maine lobster here is what I do...it's more humane than it sounds...But can look a little barbaric.

First you need to kill the lobster by quickly inserting a sharp knife in the back of it's head. Or you can drop it into some boiling water for a few minutes.

Then twist the claws off. Then cut the entire body in half lengthwise from head to tail. Clean out the insides and membrane. Baste the meat side of the halves with butter.

Place the claws and the two halves meat side down on the grill for a few minutes. Flip the halves and baste with butter or a butter/herb mix. Finish on the grill until the tail has a nice meaty texture. It shouldn't feel raw at all.

The claws will be bright red and slightly charred when done.

I really like the flavor of grilled lobster. It comes out great on the grill and is a little drier than boiled/steamed lobster. There is great knuckle meat to be found in the body so don't give up on that.

Serve w drawn butter.

If your girlfriend is squeamish at all don't let her make friends with the live lobsters before you cook them!

deguerre
08-23-2011, 02:58 PM
I think it depends on what you have to work with. I think Redhot did lobster tails. If you have Maine lobster here is what I do...it's more humane than it sounds...But can look a little barbaric.

First you need to kill the lobster by quickly inserting a sharp knife in the back of it's head. Or you can drop it into some boiling water for a few minutes.

Then twist the claws off. Then cut the entire body in half lengthwise from head to tail. Clean out the insides and membrane. Baste the meat side of the halves with butter.

Place the claws and the two halves meat side down on the grill for a few minutes. Flip the halves and baste with butter or a butter/herb mix. Finish on the grill until the tail has a nice meaty texture. It shouldn't feel raw at all.

The claws will be bright red and slightly charred when done.

I really like the flavor of grilled lobster. It comes out great on the grill and is a little drier than boiled/steamed lobster. There is great knuckle meat to be found in the body so don't give up on that.

Serve w drawn butter.

If your girlfriend is squeamish at all don't let her make friends with the live lobsters before you cook them!

Can't you refigerate the lobster so it's dormant when you kill it?

Fever
08-23-2011, 03:24 PM
The standard way of cooking Maine lobster is to steam, not boil them. Cut the rubber bands off the claws (sometimes you taste it). Make sure you remove the poop pipe from the tail regardless of your final cooking procedure. When they stop screaming you know they are done :becky:

jmellor
08-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Can't you refigerate the lobster so it's dormant when you kill it?

For sure...But I have still seen them pretty lively when you take them out of the fridge...

cliffcarter
08-25-2011, 05:48 AM
The standard way of cooking Maine lobster is to steam, not boil them. Cut the rubber bands off the claws (sometimes you taste it). Make sure you remove the poop pipe from the tail regardless of your final cooking procedure. When they stop screaming you know they are done :becky:

Good One:thumb:
If you don't have a steamer you can take the biggest pot you have, put 2 inches of water in it with a TBS of salt, bring to a boil add the lobster, cover and cook for 10 mins. Steaming like this will be better than boiling them at this time of year IMHO because Maine lobsters are all new shell lobsters(AKA "chicken lobster") now and a lot of the cooking water gets into the shell when they are boiled, which can really be messy. Besides they just plain taste better steamed.
X2 on the poop pipe removal:idea:.

Teleking
08-25-2011, 09:21 AM
new shell lobsters(AKA "chicken lobster").

Chickens are the smallest you can buy not based on new (soft) shell. Order chicken lobstah any time of year and you will get lobstah that is one and 1/8 of a pound or less.

Cheers

btcg
08-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Saw a tv show with Emeril where he simply brushed on olive oil and grilled them. Tried it myself, and they were wonderful!

Ole Man Dan
08-25-2011, 12:34 PM
I like to put Zatarins Crab Boil in a pot of water. Bring to a boil, then drop in two Lobsters
(About 1-2lbs each)
Just like Shrimp, the Lobster pop to the top when done.
Serve with melted Garlic Butter.

Really smells up a campground...
(I do it to make the guys eating burnt hamburgers feel bad) :twisted:

NS Mike D
08-25-2011, 01:04 PM
fresh tarragon

tarragon to lobster is what sage is to turkey

ClayHill
08-25-2011, 01:21 PM

Was in Maine a few weeks ago and boiled in seawater was the best IMO

TheRancheroGuy
08-25-2011, 03:18 PM
I get rock lobster tails quite often, and I split the shell, flay it open, throw it on the grill basting with butter w/ garlic and basil.
It only takes about 5 minutes w/ a medium heat. You don't wanna overcook these.
It's usually the surf in the surf/turf when I'm feeling hoity toity.

cliffcarter
08-26-2011, 03:49 AM
Chickens are the smallest you can buy not based on new (soft) shell. Order chicken lobstah any time of year and you will get lobstah that is one and 1/8 of a pound or less.

Cheers

I didn't realize that this had changed, legal shedders are all about this weight anyway. Thanks.:thumb: