PDA

View Full Version : Halal Beef Brisket Question

5-0 BBQ
08-22-2011, 09:12 PM
While at Restaurant Depot today I noticed a beautiful beef brisket. This baby was 15lb with a tick flat. But it was a Halal Brisket.

I know that Halal is Muslim Dietary Law. I do not know much more than that.

Has anybody had any experience with Halal beef?

elchupahueso
08-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Yes actually. I regularly shop at a Halal market in the area. In terms of it being any different than a brisket picked up at your local megamart, the only difference is that it was slaughtered in a manner that's been prescribed by the Islamic tradition. It hasn't been salted like a kosher brisket to remove all the blood. Feel free to buy halal beef with full confidence.

5-0 BBQ
08-22-2011, 09:37 PM
I bought it. I could not pass it up. Thanks for the help.

gtr
08-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Can you give us an update when you cook it? There's a Halal butcher shop in my area I've been curious about. I'd love to know if it's similar or different from just regular ole brisket.

Got the therm (& the rub) btw - thanks!

elchupahueso
08-22-2011, 10:22 PM
I bought it. I could not pass it up. Thanks for the help.

Glad to be of help. Honestly, the only real difference between halal beef and regular is some minor feeding requirements, and the slaughtering of said steers has to be done facing mecca, slitting the throat in one swipe with a supremely scary sharp blade, all in the name of, well you know. That's really about it. :)

GTR: just go in. I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised when you do. They'll most likely have lamb, beef, chicken, goat, possibly veal, but absolutely no pork. Depending on the time of day, it could very well be a mosh pit in there. It's just a cultural thing. I have a blast when it's really busy cause that's when i get to actually put my giant bulk to good use. :becky:

landarc
08-22-2011, 11:08 PM
The Halal markets out here most often are whole carcass shops, many will even cut things like lamb and goat from whole carcass to your request. They are also usually dedicated to butchering, as there are dietary requirements apparently for keeping meat and certain other groceries separate. Out here, the beef is oiften superior to what you get at other markets.

caliking
08-22-2011, 11:26 PM
if you go to a halal butcher, get some some goat! At shops where I've been a regular, they always let me step back into the cooler and pick exactly the cut of meat I want.

Dingodile
08-22-2011, 11:37 PM
Elchupahueso, what's the name of the Halal market you shop at?

elchupahueso
08-23-2011, 01:42 AM
That would be Al Tayebat sir. Located at the intersection of Ball and Brookhurst. Well, on the south side of Brookhurst right next door to the Arco. Do a yelp search for it and read the review by Mao F. (That's my review fyi.) It'll tell you everything you need to know.

NRA4Life
08-23-2011, 05:56 AM
I bought a Halal brisket at Restaurant Depot a couple weeks ago because it was bigger and nicer than all the "choice" and S.A.B. briskets they had available. It cooked identical to other briskets I have cooked of similar size in the past.

Redheart
08-23-2011, 06:27 AM
Remember that Halal is a non-USDA graded meat. You may find choice and you may find select all for the same price. So use your senses when purchasing Halal.

5-0 BBQ
08-23-2011, 07:32 AM
Got the therm (& the rub) btw - thanks!
Enjoy the rub. :-D

Phubar
08-23-2011, 07:43 AM
I often go to the Turkish/Halal butcher...it's a bit cheaper than the regular butcher.
I can buy my ground beePh at the supermarket prepackaged from the factory or I can go to the Turkish butcher and watch him grind the beePh himself with my own eyes...what would you choose?:becky:

Have Phun with your purchase!