PDA

View Full Version : Question for WSM users

42BBQ
08-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Hey weber heads: my brother is thinking about getting a WSM. is it impractical to use them to grill? Thanks for the input.

tasterner
08-22-2011, 07:07 PM
I certainly wouldn't buy it to use as a grill, but I suppose you could use it as one in a pinch. Tell him to use it strictly as a smoker and pick up a cheap one touch on cl.

boogiesnap
08-22-2011, 07:08 PM
sure can. just take out the middle section.

DLR
08-22-2011, 07:11 PM
I see nothing wrong with it. I haven't used mine that way but at the virtual weber bullet site it does show how to use the 22.5 like a regular grill only with short legs,they call it an egg and I've read that with the 18.5 you can put the charcoal grate on the hangers where the lower grate sets and they say it makes a really good grill that way. The wsm's are more or less a grill with a mid section added to it.

Jason TQ
08-22-2011, 07:11 PM
You could grill, but it wouldn't be the easiest way to go about it. Tell him to also check craigslist as there are always weber kettles for dirt cheap. Anywhere from $15-$40 depending on the condition. Sometime I have seen free.

forgop
08-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Unless you plan on using quite a LOT of charcoal, you'll have a hard time getting temps over the 350 mark IMO.

42BBQ
08-22-2011, 07:13 PM
Thanks all, appreciate the help

boogiesnap
08-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Unless you plan on using quite a LOT of charcoal, you'll have a hard time getting temps over the 350 mark IMO.

not true at all.

i can scorch it well over 500 degrees with a couple fistfulls of unlit and a 1/4 chimney lit...indirect.

if you want direct it'd be the same amount used in a true kettle.

Harbormaster
08-22-2011, 07:30 PM
It can be done. Set one of the cooking grates right on top of the charcoal ring.
Someone even makes clips that slip over the charcoal bowl and hold the WSM lid so it doesn't slide off when using as a grill.
I've never done it that way. No reason too when Weber kettles are available on CL for dirt.

forgop
08-22-2011, 08:01 PM
not true at all.

i can scorch it well over 500 degrees with a couple fistfulls of unlit and a 1/4 chimney lit...indirect.

if you want direct it'd be the same amount used in a true kettle.

News to me-I've tried doing steaks with the grate directly over the charcoal ring with the lid on and have a hell of a time getting the temp high enough to do steaks.

boogiesnap
08-22-2011, 08:12 PM
News to me-I've tried doing steaks with the grate directly over the charcoal ring with the lid on and have a hell of a time getting the temp high enough to do steaks.

i'd help with that if i could, honestly. but i can't imagine how that's possible.

more info?

forgop
08-22-2011, 08:26 PM
i'd help with that if i could, honestly. but i can't imagine how that's possible.

more info?

I've placed the wire grate directly over the hot charcoal sitting on top of the ring and then put the lid over that. Probably used a full chimney as well and temps just weren't getting hot at all.

boogiesnap
08-22-2011, 08:33 PM
all vents open?

so, the grate was 1 or 2 inches above a layer lit charcoal and it didn't get hot?

we might be hijacking at this point, but somethign aint right.

charlie d
08-22-2011, 08:35 PM
I've placed the wire grate directly over the hot charcoal sitting on top of the ring and then put the lid over that. Probably used a full chimney as well and temps just weren't getting hot at all.
With open vents and good charcoal? I can't see why you won't get up to temp.

J'ville Grill
08-22-2011, 08:37 PM

Maybe you should take the lid off? You're grilling.

42BBQ
08-22-2011, 08:38 PM
I got the answers I needed lol, hijack away ;)

boogiesnap
08-22-2011, 08:45 PM
I got the answers I needed lol, hijack away ;)

:thumb:

never know...if he get's the WSM you might be back! :becky:

glad you got the info you needed.

nthole
08-22-2011, 09:56 PM
I do it all the time. I just take the water pan out, meat on the lower rack, charcoal 1 layer on the bottom. If I want a hard sear I put one rack right over the coal ring, sear, and then put the middle on and move meat to the middle rack. Works terrific.

caseydog
08-23-2011, 12:23 AM
I can't imagine grilling on my WSM, but, since I picked up a OTS on CL for 20 bucks, I don't have to.

If you take the middle section out, and put the bottom part on a table, it should work.

CD

NCSU-Q
08-23-2011, 09:55 AM
i agree, you can do it, but you are on your knees grilling. It will work in a pinch, but for a long term solution, buy a grill with some legs on it.

SteevieG
10-01-2011, 07:07 PM
I just did it to finish off some pork chops I had in the smoker. It works amazingly well and while, yeah, it's down to the ground, it was only 4 chops and they were only on there about 4 minutes total.

caseydog
10-01-2011, 07:33 PM
sure can. just take out the middle section.

In a pinch yu can take the middle section out, put the bottom section on a table and use it as a very good grill. The biggest weakness it has as a grill is the short legs.

CD