PDA

View Full Version : neighbor thinks i'm nuts

cgarrit
08-22-2011, 07:58 PM
I've never actually used wood for smoke in my UDS before so today I decided to get some practice.:-P I got the UDS up to temp, pre heated the wood and put it on the coals. I was playing with the settings trying to get that sweet blue smoke when my neighbor peeks over the fence and says my bbq smells great what am I cooking? I inform him that im just practicing on getting the correct smoke from my UDS. He asked me how hard could it be I just need to throw some wood on the fire.:tsk: I said theres a little more to it than that. He asked me one more time if I was cooking anything and when I said no he just looked at me like I was crazy and said have fun. LOL some people just don't understand.

HawgNationBBQ
08-22-2011, 08:01 PM
It is your neighbor who is nuts my friend, not you!

bluetang
08-22-2011, 08:08 PM
I might have thrown a butt on to really kill him.

tbaker30
08-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Some people are so uneducated!

Jason TQ
08-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Maybe (and everyone follow me here for a minute) your neighbor doesn't really exist and this whole scenario is like that movie "A Beautiful Mind" and you are just imaging a neighbor. Which in that case you could in fact be crazy and it is your subconscious who dreamed up your "neighbor" to help you come to the realization that you need help. And to be clear I mean help for being crazy because of the schizophrenia. You are clearly not crazy for doing a test burn. Everyone knows that :crazy:. So tell your neighbor or imagination they just don't get it.

pitbossJB
08-22-2011, 08:30 PM
I just did the same thing last night!

MikeyLuvsBBQ
08-22-2011, 10:11 PM
I've never actually used wood for smoke in my UDS before so today I decided to get some practice.:-P I got the UDS up to temp, pre heated the wood and put it on the coals. I was playing with the settings trying to get that sweet blue smoke when my neighbor peeks over the fence and says my bbq smells great what am I cooking? I inform him that im just practicing on getting the correct smoke from my UDS. He asked me how hard could it be I just need to throw some wood on the fire.:tsk: I said theres a little more to it than that. He asked me one more time if I was cooking anything and when I said no he just looked at me like I was crazy and said have fun. LOL some people just don't understand.

LOL! That's classic!

cholloway
08-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Forget the neighbor... I never realized a UDS could be used as a stick burner. How did that turn out???

woodpelletsmoker
08-22-2011, 10:30 PM
BBQ is not popular in China.
In Beijing 99% living in apartments without a yard
A few do BBQ by a $10 simple grilling box when camping.
Thanks GOD I have a yard of 600 sf. I have an offset and a vertical cabinet smoker in my yard.
Every time I smoke meat my Neighbors ask various questions.

"What is this.", they never see a smoker or offset before!
"High temperature grilling is harm to health".
"why do not you eat out". In Beijing we have Brazil, Korean, Turkey BBQ., but NOT any American low temperature smoking.

smokeyokie
08-22-2011, 10:34 PM
obviously your neighbor has not been bitten by the bug:shocked:, just wait till he samples your que and says its great:thumb: then remind him of the practice run and let him know your not the crazy one:crazy:

PDXsmoker
08-23-2011, 12:39 AM
My neighbor KNOWS I'm nuts...

Mark
08-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Forget the neighbor... I never realized a UDS could be used as a stick burner. How did that turn out???

That's all I use in my UDS. First-off, all-wood cooking on a UDS is not RONCO technology (“set it and forget it”) because you need to tend a wood fire closely or risk ruining your food. I know that one of the main attractions of UDS’s to many is that it can be relatively close to “set it and forget it” as can be expected for a home-built smoker if you are willing to fuel it with charcoal. I’m not concerned about minimizing tending and I like the concept of free fuel that I know what it is> Yeah, maybe a UDS can be somewhat automated with “pellet-pooper” systems, but you’re still paying for manufactured fuel and you really don’t know what it’s made of.

So I made the decision to design a wood burning UDS. This requires a different design; one that allows more air flow to establish a good base of hot embers. I also have a bung hole above the fire that I force air into the fire via a blower. Once the fire is well lit, you can shut off the blower, dial back intake and/or exhaust and just add wood chunks periodically to keep a good ember bed going. And that requires another design modification; a door.

I also like to cook at higher temperatures (like for pizza) or smoke/grill with the lid off some of the time. Again, this requires relatively close tending. If the fire starts getting too hot, just put the lid back on.

As for the types of wood I use; it depends on what I’m cooking and how much smoke flavor I want. Since UDS’s tend to impart more smoke than offsets (due to fat rendering out into the fire) I usually mix my wood with more fruit wood for less smokiness.

I uploaded a photo album of my wood-burning UDS here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=64. I also have a PowerPoint presentation with enough narration to help explain the pictures. If you want a copy, just PM me.

tamadrummer
08-23-2011, 12:38 PM
The fruitcake neighbor will probably call the police because you are burning stuff for no reason but to test your smoker. You are not being a green neighbor and the polar bears are dying because of your smoker.

You should have lied and said you had 1/2 a cow on there to feed the homeless.:crazy:

Grafixgibbs
08-23-2011, 01:01 PM
BBQ is not popular in China.
In Beijing 99% living in apartments without a yard
A few do BBQ by a $10 simple grilling box when camping.
Thanks GOD I have a yard of 600 sf. I have an offset and a vertical cabinet smoker in my yard.
Every time I smoke meat my Neighbors ask various questions.

"What is this.", they never see a smoker or offset before!
"High temperature grilling is harm to health".
"why do not you eat out". In Beijing we have Brazil, Korean, Turkey BBQ., but NOT any American low temperature smoking.

Awesome. Give them some low and slow food and they'll be over every time you fire it up.

Phubar
08-23-2011, 01:30 PM
My Neighbours know what's up...and the newer Neighbours gonna know what's up!:becky:

Teach your Neighbour if he/she shows a little interest.

hamiltont
08-23-2011, 01:54 PM
It wouldn't surprise my neighbor one bit. He's just as nuts as I am. :wacko: We gt along well. Cheers!!!