PDA

View Full Version : Thank you..took the WSM Camping

basuraman
08-22-2011, 05:49 PM
I want to thank the Brethren and this site for the knowledge. I am new to the smoking thing and have done some ribs and such for the family. Everyone at home has like it. For some stupid reason I suggested that I could take care of some of the dinners on a camping trip with some buddies. It all turned out better than I could have hoped.
First night was a Bacon Explosion. It took about 3 hours to smoke and about three minutes to disappear. After the Bacon explosion was off I took out the middle section and dropped the rack down and grilled a tri-tip. (It was a pre-marinated one from Costco. Not my choice but I was not buyin.g)
Night number two was ribs. We did 6 racks of babybacks with 5 different rubs between them. This was the first time that I used both the bottom and top rack. The ribs were a hit. And this with a bunch of guys with enough drink in them to lose there politeness filter.

I did learn a few things.

1. Bring gloves. (I might install handles on the middle section)
2. Never quote a done time.
3. Too much beer and hot smoker do not always go well together. Burnt finger to show for it. (See #1)
4. I am going to do this again. Having some good BBQ wins over what we normally eat out in the woods.

No shots of the food. I was too busy working..

http://images.instagram.com/media/2011/08/22/e067e6a2c73b48dcbfbc80c0660e1648_7.jpg

Brian in Maine
08-22-2011, 05:52 PM
That's roughing it easy! Nice job.

Parruthead
08-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Nice.. I bought both of my WSM's to the Gun Club for a shoot this weekend. I smoked Chicken legs, ABT's and Moink balls for the guys!! They travel well!!

forgop
08-22-2011, 08:05 PM
3. Too much beer and hot smoker do not always go well together. Burnt finger to show for it. (See #1)

My hard learned advice is to always wear shoes when transferring from the chimney to the WSM. I didn't see a smaller hot coal that fell through and stepped on it with my foot that doesn't have the best sensation in it. It took a month to fully heal.

martyleach
08-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Very nice!! Sounds like a lot of fun with some good eats!!

J'ville Grill
08-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Very nice indeed. I've thought about bringing my wsm camping but I've taken one of my kettles instead.

thenicksfam
08-22-2011, 09:08 PM
I went camping for 4 days this last week and was really mad we didn't have room for the WSM. With 5 kids it was either the smoker or one of the kids. My wife wouldn't let me leave one of the kids home alone... Sheesh. I told her it was her fault we ate subpar food.

Bob Wiley
08-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Looks like a great time.

JimmyBeam
08-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Packing for the lake revolves around my WSM. Its too easy to eat like a king not to take it. Stay up drinking till midnight, put a butt and brisket on and wait till lunch the next day. Or start some ribs while the chorizo and eggs are cooking in the skillet.

Also inviting neighboring campsites over for a few ribs or pork sandwiches is a great way to get more beer.

caseydog
08-22-2011, 11:24 PM
I go to a big campout on Halloween weekend, with about 75 teardrop campers, and we eat -- a lot! I'm seriously thinking about hauling my WSM out there this year.

We also have a big water balloon battle every year, and the arms race is in full assent. Theres rumor of an air canon this year. :shocked:

So, I'll have to set up the WSM well out of the war zone.

CD

basuraman
08-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks all. It will be going every year from now on..