PDA

View Full Version : Pulled Pork Pics (New Broil King Keg)

chambers_
08-22-2011, 04:56 PM
This is my inaugural post. Love the forum. You guys know your stuff.

Bought a Broil King Keg a few weeks ago. Mainly based on the accolades the Bubba Keg gets on this forum. The price I had to pay for it would drive most of you nuts, but it's about the best I could do around here... BBQ isn't much of a thing in Canada so good units are few and far between.

Did some pulled pork on the new Keg last week. After some tweaking/testing with a sirloin roast and pork tenderloin, I ran a few beads of high temp silicone around and under the exhaust wheel. This let me control the temperature much more easily than before, and was confident I could now cook up a killer butt! I'd done pulled pork before on my gas grill, which had always been "good", but I knew I could do better.

Here's a picture of the two butts I did up. About 19 lbs (pre-cook) in pork here... 1 pulled, 1 about to be done so. Followed the recipe over at amazingribs.com loosely. Fired up the grill about 6:30 AM, butts were pulled at about 7:30/8:00PM. Nice smoke ring, very moise/tender. Smoke flavor could have been a little more present... I only used about 3 chunks of mesquite in the first half of the cook. I didn't want to over smoke it.... if that's possible. I think I'll use more chunks of a different wood next time.

Any comments/suggestions are welcomed. I thought they turned out darn good, but I'm a novice... anything you guys notice for critique to make the next batch better would be great!

Did those up with some home made beans, slaws, corn, and watermelon for a group of 12. Nobody left hungry!

http://i.imgur.com/tHurT.jpg

BBQ Bandit
08-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Congrats on the grub... and welcome to the BBQ madness!

MikeyLuvsBBQ
08-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Very nice looking Pulled Pork! Welcome aboard!

stephan
08-22-2011, 09:47 PM
looking good. keep at it your doing great

Bob Wiley
08-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Great job.

boogiesnap
08-22-2011, 09:53 PM
look great! super 1st post.

Ray W.
08-25-2011, 07:04 AM
Just bought a keg myself, love it! Have cooked home made pizza on it with diffuser at 700 degrees for 8 minutes and came out great. Gonna try a butt soon. Yours looked great, did you use lump or briquets? Everyone seems to use lump but I think briquets burn longer. Everything comes out better on these kegs! :mad2:

Toscadero
08-25-2011, 07:14 AM
Congrats on the keg and first pulled pork cook. I bought one of the original Bubba Kegs when Home Depot was clearing them out, but it would have been worth paying the full price for how nice the keg works. Pulled pork is one of my favorite things to smoke.

Big slick
08-25-2011, 08:05 AM
Apple wood and pork go together really well! Looks good!

JS-TX
08-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Just bought a keg myself, love it! Have cooked home made pizza on it with diffuser at 700 degrees for 8 minutes and came out great. Gonna try a butt soon. Yours looked great, did you use lump or briquets? Everyone seems to use lump but I think briquets burn longer. Everything comes out better on these kegs! :mad2:

The reason behind using lump is to avoid all the ash that regular charcoal produces. It also doesn't have a chemical smell to it, smells more natural for the most part. I got 2 kegs myself and yes I love them, made me a better "pitmaster" almost overnight.. :becky:

Boshizzle
08-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Great looking Q! Let's see a pic of that keg too.

Big Bears BBQ
08-25-2011, 02:16 PM
Looks good...........

expatpig
08-25-2011, 02:20 PM
The reason behind using lump is to avoid all the ash that regular charcoal produces. It also doesn't have a chemical smell to it, smells more natural for the most part. I got 2 kegs myself and yes I love them, made me a better "pitmaster" almost overnight.. :becky:

mmm.. I always thought of lump as "regular" charcoal and briquettes as something else. BTW Chambers, nice looking PP.