PDA

View Full Version : Earth shatteringly good UDS Rotisserie Chicken

Moose
08-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Two years ago, The Missus purchased a rotisserie kit, which I intended to use on my drum, but never got around to it. :roll:

Yesterday we decided enough was enough! :boxing:Finally, after much hassle with a jigsaw, cutting out a section from a donor drum to use as a "sleeve" to fit over the spit, and mounting the motor and spit support to the side of the drum, we were in business. :clap2:

After putting the bird on the spit, we seasoned it with seasoning salt and black pepper, and put it on with all 3 vents wide open. Every 10 mins or so, I brushed the slowly spinning bird with some Roadside mop, mainly for flavor and to help render fat more quickly.

An hour or so later, the chicken was a deep golden brown, and we pulled it off. It was the most tender, moist chicken we've ever had, with perfectly rendered bite through skin. Wow!

Sorry, no pics, but next time for sure. :icon_blush:

Stay tuned!

Carbon
08-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Nice! Would have loved to seen pics.

I use my Weber rotiss kit from time to time on my kettle to do chicken among other things and thought about using it on the drum as well. I was wondering if there will be any difference in using the drum vs the kettle for high temp cooks like this.

Oh, and I agree about the earth shattering results the rotiss can produce. Even tri tips come out good. :))

colonel00
08-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Definitely sounds good. You should do it again tonight so we can have some pics of the bird and your setup :thumb:

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
08-22-2011, 12:19 PM
I could already picture that spinning moist, golden brown bird just from your description. I don't need any pron. :thumb:

Greg1911
08-22-2011, 12:24 PM
Rotisseries are awesome.

I don't have an UDS but here is a pic of a recent bird finishing up in my kettle.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-8pXvPpaqJe0/TASAg_j4CVI/AAAAAAAABKI/X6enUVsEEok/DSC_0005.jpg

Lamb legs and Prime Rib are 2 other reasons to get one. :becky:

FWIW I never baste stuff turning on the spit - the rotisserie is a self baster as far as I'm concerned.

gtr
08-22-2011, 12:26 PM
2 years? You're working at my pace! :heh:

I've been thinking about the rotis thing for my UDS. Seems like a great thing to do - rotis chicken is its own universe! :thumb:

Of course, once yer outfitted for the rotis, there's always the Ribolater....

Moose
08-22-2011, 12:29 PM
I'm sure I will be doing this again within the next week, so I promise pics of both the cook and setup!

landarc
08-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Oh sure, I am sure this happened, Moose probably ate a pizza and is just posting this to make his wife happy. :becky: 'yes dear, see, I posted it, I used the rotisserie'

deguerre
08-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Anything to keep the missus happy dontcha know Bob.:rolleyes:

landarc
08-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Anything to keep the missus happy dontcha know Bob.:rolleyes:
Um, no, I don't know. Isn't that pretty obvious?

on edit: There are a string of disappointed women that would readily share that I am one of the most stubborn, obstinant, irritating people that they have ever met. In my defence, I am sure they would be wrong, again. And they lack a sense of humor.

I do want one of them chickens though.

Big Bears BBQ
08-22-2011, 02:49 PM
They are really great when your camping get's all your neighbors going.....