PDA

View Full Version : Results of first Smoke

court
08-22-2011, 08:08 AM
Well my smoking cherry has been popped! I had a great time and can't wait to do it again! For the most part things turned out better than I could have hoped.
My brisket got away from me but the flavor and the smoke ring was very good! However, I wanted to pull it at around 195 or so but before I knew it she was around 205. The probe slid in like butter! I vented it for a few minutes to try to avoid it cooking more. The girlfriend got gready while I was in the restroom and cut a piece off! She said it was incredible. I wrapped it back and put it in the cooler for about 4 hours. When we took it out to slice it crumbled. : ( Not sure if her cutting the piece off messed it up or if it had something to do with the resting. No clue but would love some thoughts on it.

The ribs were VERY tasty however once again a bit overdone to my liking. They fell off the bone which my son loves. However I like some bite to my ribs. Lesson learned here.

I am going to try to posts pics of the final product. I forgot to take pics of the smoke ring.

This forum is incredible! I could have never done as well as I did without the info I have got from here! Thanks to all!!

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n606/keeperofthegoal1/th_FinishedBrisket.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n606/keeperofthegoal1/th_Finishedribs.jpg

Boshizzle
08-22-2011, 08:11 AM
Sounds like a great success, congrats! You are on the right track. Make sure you learn something from every cook and soon you will nail it. :thumb:

BTW - The brisket crumbled because it was over cooked. A four hour rest is a long time for a brisket that was 205F IT. If you are cooking at around 225F, just let it cook until it probes like butter, remove it from the smoker and let it rest about 30 minutes. If you are cooking it at 275F or higher, start probing when it reaches 200F IT and remove it when it reaches about 205F then let it rest a couple of hours in a cooler and don't let it sit to cool before it goes into the cooler. Personally, I like my brisket to almost fall apart so I cook mine at 275F and pull at around 208 - 210 IT then let it rest in a cooler for 2 hours.

DirtyDirty00
08-22-2011, 08:22 AM
I like my brisket to almost fall apart so I cook mine at 275F and pull at around 208 - 210 IT then let it rest in a cooler for 2 hours.

wouldnt this be very dry? I did a brisket this weekend and pulled it at around 190. some of the flat was around 184. the probe slid in like butter however the middle seemed to have slight resistance. i let it rest in a cooler for 30 min. It sliced, but was very dry in my opinion. wasnt juicy. :(

wouldnt cooking it even longer until 200-205 make it even more dry?

JMSetzler
08-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Congrats on your first smoke :) Every smoke won't turn out as good as you hope but thos smokes will make you better on the next one.

Big George's BBQ
08-22-2011, 08:58 AM
Congrats on your first somke Glad you had a good experience

Johnny_Crunch
08-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Congrats and welcome to the addiction! :thumb:

Garyclaw
08-22-2011, 09:23 AM
Sounds like a great start. We're all learning here, at some level.
Just to add to what JM said, every smoke won't be the same either, but practice can help you understand what has to be done to reach a consistancy you like.

Some people take notes on every cook in a ledger; wind, outside temps, hours per smoke vs foil, IT temps vs hours, etc.
I just try to remember what worked and what wasn't quite right, the last time I smoked a brisket or some ribs or some butts.

Plus, it's great to eat your experiments.:-D

Boshizzle
08-22-2011, 09:32 AM
wouldnt this be very dry? I did a brisket this weekend and pulled it at around 190. some of the flat was around 184. the probe slid in like butter however the middle seemed to have slight resistance. i let it rest in a cooler for 30 min. It sliced, but was very dry in my opinion. wasnt juicy. :(

Not really. Inject it with some beef broth the night before. Then, cook it for about 2 hours and wrap in foil then cook until the internal temp comes up to around 205 then rest in a cooler for 2 hours. Here is a pic of the typical results.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=326&pictureid=3369

Chef Jim
08-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Nice start, you did good.

bbqchicken
08-22-2011, 12:22 PM
congrats. I cant wait until my first smoke.

Wampus
08-22-2011, 01:05 PM

I'm assuming you foiled it when you coolered it, but did you foil it at all during the cook? Many don't do this, but I've found if I foil and add about a cup of beef broth into the foil, it helps keep it nice and moist. Maybe try that next time and see if that helps?

Well my smoking cherry has been popped! I had a great time and can't wait to do it again! For the most part things turned out better than I could have hoped.
My brisket got away from me but the flavor and the smoke ring was very good! However, I wanted to pull it at around 195 or so but before I knew it she was around 205. The probe slid in like butter! I vented it for a few minutes to try to avoid it cooking more. The girlfriend got gready while I was in the restroom and cut a piece off! She said it was incredible. I wrapped it back and put it in the cooler for about 4 hours. When we took it out to slice it crumbled. : ( Not sure if her cutting the piece off messed it up or if it had something to do with the resting. No clue but would love some thoughts on it.

The ribs were VERY tasty however once again a bit overdone to my liking. They fell off the bone which my son loves. However I like some bite to my ribs. Lesson learned here.

I am going to try to posts pics of the final product. I forgot to take pics of the smoke ring.

This forum is incredible! I could have never done as well as I did without the info I have got from here! Thanks to all!!

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n606/keeperofthegoal1/th_FinishedBrisket.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n606/keeperofthegoal1/th_Finishedribs.jpg

NICE JOB court!!!:clap2:

Congrats on your first smoke.

As has been said, sounds like your brisky was a little overdone. It was nice and tender, sure, but the "fall apartness" suggests that it was past it's prime. No real need to hold it that long either. Not that you CAN'T, of course...if you need to, go for it, but if you were just wanting to let it reast, that can happen in 30 minutes on the counter. You just want to let it rest and cool off a bit to prevent the juices running out during slicing.

Overcooked ribs are also OK (as long as your not competing!!:laugh:) If you DO like them with more bite to them, try and do the same basic thing with them as the brisket. As SOON as they are probe tender they're good. I like to use a skewer or toothpick to test them. Just stick it down between the rib bones. When it slides in easy.....:thumb: You can also try the bend test. Pick up the rack with a set of tongs halfway supported by the tonds and, under its own weight, if the meat JUST starts to tear, it passes the bend test and is done. Only 20 more minutes past that point and they get overcoooked.

Keep trying. You'll get it just where you want it.

court
08-22-2011, 02:13 PM
I foiled it after about 4.5 hours and I did foil it when I coolered it. I will for sure pay a bit more attention next time and pull it a bit quicker next time!

Brian in Maine
08-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Being from Maine I had never had brisket until I made my own. My first 2 tries I couldn't understand why everybody raved about brisket. On my third try I nailed it, and now it is my favorite meat to Q. If you liked it on your first time out, you are ahead of where I was. Congrats!

42BBQ
08-22-2011, 07:36 PM
+1 /\ Brian,

I'd say right now I'm 1 for 5 on brisket. One I screwed up, one was awesome and I nailed, and three were good but not great. Looks like you did just fine Brother, welcome :)