PDA

View Full Version : Rub life

cameraman
08-22-2011, 07:25 AM
How long can you expect an open shaker of rub to maintain it's punch. Do you do something to prolong the spicey goodness? TIA

Peaches
08-22-2011, 07:37 AM
How long can you expect an open shaker of rub to maintain it's punch. Do you do something to prolong the spicey goodness? TIA

Hi Cameraman,

I'm a photographer too and LOVE IT! Well, I've heard you can keep it in the freezer, but never tried it. I use mine up so fast I don't think I give it a chance to get stale. Air tight and out of direct sunlight is probably good advice.

Jaskew82
08-22-2011, 08:14 AM
In an airtight container - its usually 6 months. Open, I would guess 1 month.

GreenDrake
08-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Whenever I make rubs or buy them to tweak with my own changes...I don't rely on the pop top shakers. I usually vacuum seal them in small packs and keep them in a cool dry place. Lost of times a bit of warmer weather can cause the sugars to cake up. As for shelf stable time, not too sure.

Gore
08-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Really haven't a clue. I expect different spices lose their potency at different rates also. Some I know will last a very long time. Even fresh spices have different potency depending on the source (Had some recipes where I needed to quarter some of my spices as they were obviously much more potent than what was being used by whoever made the recipe. ); hence, it's extremely important to taste and spice to taste. In a rub, you can't really do this.

cameraman
08-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Whenever I make rubs or buy them to tweak with my own changes...I don't rely on the pop top shakers. I usually vacuum seal them in small packs and keep them in a cool dry place. Lost of times a bit of warmer weather can cause the sugars to cake up. As for shelf stable time, not too sure.

I like that idea but I'm having a vision of the spice go flying out of the bag into the vacu suck. What am I missing?:confused:

GreenDrake
08-22-2011, 09:11 AM
I like that idea but I'm having a vision of the spice go flying out of the bag into the vacu suck. What am I missing?:confused:

I have never had that happen. Generally the vacuum sealer has a pressed edge and a textured side to the bag, seals up like a brick, no air at all, never an issue. Give it a shot.

cameraman
08-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks. That's just the type of tip I was hoping for.