PDA

View Full Version : Ground Brisket for other uses?

JMSetzler
08-22-2011, 01:21 AM
I have read a lot around here about folx grinding their own meat for various purposes including hamburgers. I haven't really found much high level support for brisket as a meat for hamburgers unless its part of a blend. I really need to get my meat grinder into action though, and I'm wondering if brisket is a suitable meat to grind for other cooking purposes such as meat for spaghetti sauces, chili, and other recipes where the seasonings added are going to pretty much cover up the flavor of the meat itself?

pitbossJB
08-22-2011, 01:53 AM
Hmmm! I don't know personaly, but it should be as good as most other meats in a sauce.

Seachaser
08-22-2011, 06:53 AM
Saturday, someone on the cooking channel used ground brisket to make his hamburger. I want to say Bobby Flay, but could be wrong. I had it taped, but erased it. He ground straight brisket with no trimming and nothing added.

Kenny Rogers
08-22-2011, 09:21 AM
Wow, JM... thanks for teaching me something new this morning... I have never considered using brisket for any other purpose than slicing and shredding, but after I read this I did a little googling, and learned A LOT!
Here's a thread on Brisket Burgers from this forum...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64181

Dave Russell
08-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Just saw a post on the bullet forum yesterday that recommended to save the thin corners of the flat for for burgers.

The poster was recommending trimming the brisket flat end corners, as opposed to cramming it on the top wsm grate as most of us 18.5" users do. The thinner edges of the flat wouldn't be left to dry over the hot outer perimeter of the grate, and precook trimming was also how he got perfect sized slices for his turn-in boxes. Sounds like a good idea to me, since I've always heard that brisket burgers were great, anyway. He said to just bag and freeze the trimmings before each brisket smoke, and later grinding for burgers after stocking up enough in the freezer.

Chuckwagonbbqco
08-22-2011, 10:26 AM
I have ground brisket trimmings for years. I usually grind it coarse for use in chili. I save it and sometimes regrind the coarse ground into a finer ground and make "Chorizo Borracho" a blend of ground pork, ground beef, spices and tequilla. I also save the fat trimmings from both brisket and tri-tip to make "suet pudding." I even save juices from rested smoked brisket to make an awesome "Yorkshire Pudding."

More often I have leftover cooked brisket that I grind coarsely to make hash, miroton, fricadelles, croquettes, stuffed peppers, shepherd's pie, stuffed pancakes, Cornish Pasties, brisket curry, tacos, or other numerous dishes.

I suffer from two afflictions--BBQ addiction, and dutch oven cooking---but I suffer well.

This thread seems more about raw brisket being ground, and yes it can make great hamburger meat. Maybe I should start a thread on leftover brisket uses.

sfbbqguy
08-22-2011, 10:29 AM
I've ground whole briskets a few times and the hamburger turned out great. Nothing scientific about it just guessed on using about a 90-10 meat to fat ratio and all was good. Certainly good tasting burger.

I usually do it when I get fed-up with paying $3.99/lb for burger meat!

sfbbqguy
08-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Maybe I should start a thread on leftover brisket uses.

We'd love to hear any/all uses for leftover brisky!

Redfish1
08-22-2011, 01:41 PM
We quit buying ground beef when I bought my grinder.Ground brisket is such a more tender cut. It makes awesome burgers,tacos,sausage,meat balls and its
half the price as ground beef.I always tell young guys starting out if you want to save money buy a meat grinder.:thumb:

rondini
08-22-2011, 02:11 PM
I've always added some fatty chuck and fatty ground sausage to my venison when grinding ven burger. May I'll try some bris next time. :idea:

landarc
08-22-2011, 02:21 PM
If you grind a whole packer, you get a nice blend of fat to lean, very close to chuck. The flavor will be a little different, as will the texture. I like ground beef made in this way. I prefer a blended product as I think the beef flavor is more complex with a mixture of sirloin, brisket and one other meat, be it pork or lamb.

Kenny Rogers
08-22-2011, 02:49 PM
I always tell young guys starting out if you want to save money buy a meat grinder.:thumb:

I've always wanted to get a grinder addon for the kitchenaid mixer, but never could justify the expense... but now that you explain it THAT way, how could I go wrong?!?
AND I've been wanting to learn to make my own sausage too!

NOW I gotta keep my eyes open for a decent price grinder!

JMSetzler
08-22-2011, 04:31 PM
I bought a Kitchener meat grinder from Northern Tool a while back and have only used it twice so far, but grinding pork butts and briskets were my objective. My new freezer is here now so I have plenty of room to store meat. I can get full packer briskets for $2.19/lb and wanted to try to take advantage of that as much as possible. I use ground beef and ground pork in a lot of different ways and the prices of prepared ground beef are pretty high these days...

Al Czervik
08-22-2011, 04:46 PM
I think it would be a good idea to check with Groundhog66 on this question. Maybe send him a PM... If I recall, he likes to use brisket (flats in particular) as a substitute for chicken breasts... :becky:

boatnut
08-22-2011, 06:00 PM
I bought a Kitchener meat grinder from Northern Tool a while back and have only used it twice so far, but grinding pork butts and briskets were my objective. My new freezer is here now so I have plenty of room to store meat. I can get full packer briskets for $2.19/lb and wanted to try to take advantage of that as much as possible. I use ground beef and ground pork in a lot of different ways and the prices of prepared ground beef are pretty high these days...

if you can get full packers for that price, I say grind and use it for whatever ya want...burgers, chili, meatloaf etc. Around here, packers are a rare find and flats at sam's are like north of 3.59 lb. I'd rather grind chuck on sale then briskets at that price.

Redfish1
08-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Ouch on those prices,around here Corpus Christi Texas brisket packers
avg. $1.79 lb. $3.25 market trimmed,pork butt $1.85 lb. but were in a drought and its 100 degrees outside.:mad2: