PDA

View Full Version : Not Q and no pics - but it's because of you guys...

Harbormaster
08-21-2011, 09:37 PM
I just ate a sliced tomato and onion sandwich on an onion and poppy ciabatta roll with mayo and horseradish. (edit) Oh yeah! and a sprinkling of Bayou Dirt!!

Awe.Some.

That is something I never would have tried until I read about tomato sandwiches on here. And tomato pie.

I never even liked raw tomatoes.

Then I made bruschetta. Incredible.

Now I'm turnin' into a tomato junkie.

Boshizzle
08-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Welcome to the club! Tomato sandwiches rock! :thumb:

Gore
08-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Great description, I have the flavor in my mouth now. :hungry:

Dave Russell
08-21-2011, 09:46 PM
Here's a great meatless breakfast sandwich with tomato:

Grilled scrambled egg sandwich with mayo, melted colby jack and a couple slices of home-grown TOMATO. Also, don't forget a splash of your hot sauce of choice.

landarc
08-21-2011, 10:35 PM
I love tomato sandwiches, grew up with them as my mom loved em too. That is why we grew them.

cameraman
08-21-2011, 11:20 PM
To not eat a tomato sandwich in the summer is a sin against god. I'm really happy for you.

Al Czervik
08-21-2011, 11:21 PM
Another thing we enjoy are pitas stuffed with maters, avacado, pepper jack chez and salt and pepper... :thumb:

afreemaniii
08-22-2011, 07:59 AM
Sliced heirloom tomato, salt and pepper, slightly toasted bread with a little mayo smear...the best summer sandwich. I think I'll have one for dinner tonight. Thanks for posting this.

Harbormaster
08-26-2011, 12:08 PM
So I experimented with the tomato sandwich thing last night.

Had some tomatoes from my folks. Sliced one up and made two sandwiches, both on toasted whole wheat bread, one with Miracle Whip and one with Hellman's mayo. Both got a little Dirt and some Tobasco. Wavy Lays chips too (no, not on the sammie, on the side).

Let me tell you, there is a HUGE difference between Miracle Whip and mayo on a tomato sammie.

The mayo one was WAY more creamy and tasty. I also think that the mayo was a little more salty and that may have played a part too.

Either way, it was good eating.

deguerre
08-26-2011, 12:16 PM
This begs the question. Clark, why would anyone EVER buy Miracle Whip?:becky:

Seriously though, just a plain tomato, s&p with mayo on toast can NOT be beat. Unless it's a BLT on texas toast, or a belt (Bacon egg lettuce and tomato).

bigsapper
08-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Miracle Whip is for potato salad.

And tomatoes make anything healthy. :wink:

gtr
08-26-2011, 12:26 PM
We're growing heirlooms - I'm guessing some of 'em are gonna find themselves sliced & between some bread. :thumb:

cowgirl
08-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Love the sound of your sandwich Harbormaster!
I've been living on fresh tomatoes all week... they are sooo good. :-D

Grafixgibbs
08-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Yummy. One of my favorite samichis is a tomato, cucumber and smoked provolone. It can be made on any type of bread.

Grafixgibbs
08-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Oh yeah, grilled tomatoes ROCK. a little olive oil and your favorite rub and let them grill on the cooker... Mmm:thumb:

Harbormaster
08-26-2011, 01:09 PM
...why would anyone EVER buy Miracle Whip?
It has it's "place". I do like it on a regular sandwich, sometimes in my cole slaw.

Love the sound of your sandwich Harbormaster!
Thanks Jeannie. Really starting to dig fresh tomatoes. Never really cared for them.

One of my favorite samichis is a tomato, cucumber and smoked provolone.
That sounds good.

I told my wife last night that next year I need to plant my own basil, as I think some basil leaves on a tomato sammie would be Off.The.Hook.

DirtyDirty00
08-26-2011, 02:47 PM
i gotta try this sandwich. i dont love tomatoes raw either but lately ive been eating them more and more in my salad. so i shoudl give this sandwich a go.

davet54
08-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Miracle Whip works best left on the store shelf. :clap2:

davet54
08-26-2011, 02:50 PM
I told my wife last night that next year I need to plant my own basil, as I think some basil leaves on a tomato sammie would be Off.The.Hook.[/QUOTE]

That is how we eat mater sandwiches, big slices of tomatoe, loaded up with basil, S&P and Hellmans/Bestfoods. That is the best way to go.

bbqbull
08-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Tomato and mayo sammies are the bomb. Add a slice of Vadilla onion and it is heaven. Never had cheese on a mater sandwich but I bet is awesome.

bluetang
08-26-2011, 04:14 PM
Mouth watering here. It's been way too long since I've had one, or two!

Harbormaster
08-29-2011, 09:48 PM
Resurrecting this thread again.
Played some more with tomato sammies again tonight.
Decided a grill cheese sammie with tomato in between might be good, so I sliced up some cheddar and tapped into a fresh loaf of Brownberry Country White bread. Buttered up a couple slice of bread and tossed them on the griddle at about 275 - 300 degrees. Sliced the tomato and laid the slices on a paper towel to dray a little of the juice out. Laid some cheese on each slice and covered with a lid to melt the cheese. Placed 4 thin slices of tomato on top of the cheese on one piece of bread, and when the bread was a golden brown, flipped the non-tomato piece on top of the tomatoes and covered again to make sure the tomatoes were fully encased in melted cheese.
It was missing something. The cheese was melty, and the tomatoes were good, but it needed salt or something like Bayou Dirt on it to kick it up a little as it was a little bland.
All in all it did not suck.