PDA

View Full Version : What do you folks do to.........

pigdog
08-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Keep from losing large amounts of bark on the cooking grates after you've finished a cook. I have sprayed racks with oil before placing meat on. Any ideas ?

Pappy
08-21-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm grilling pork steaks for dinner and I'm going to put my UDS grates on there afterwards and burn them off. The UDS doesn't get that hot like a kettle does. 1st time tying this. I'm sure it will be a little cleaner after I wire brush it hot.

cholloway
08-21-2011, 06:08 PM
If the grates are hot enough when you place the meat on and its left alone, it shouldn't stick.

Matt_A
08-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Keep it clean, keep it hot, keep it oiled.

RevZiLLa
08-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Lay down a few ribs of celery cut lengthwise in half before you put the meat on.

BlueHowler
08-21-2011, 06:15 PM
I've done the above only using thin sliced onions. The smell is awesome.

A ball of paper towels soaked in oil and using tongs to rub the grill right before placing the meat on works for me.

pigdog
08-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Well, I always burn off the grates well and oil them down before the cook. I am interested in the hot grate idea. Why will a hot grate at start over a ten hour cook keep the meat from sticking? Actually, with butts and brisket, the bark folds around the grate somewhat. I am interested in the celery technique. Could you explain further. I could always foil, but I don't like cooking with foil.

Ron_L
08-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Keep from losing large amounts of bark on the cooking grates after you've finished a cook. I have sprayed racks with oil before placing meat on. Any ideas ?

What kind of cooker, are you smoking or grilling, what type of meat?

It's kind of hard to answer without the details. The only time I have anything stick to the grates is the fat cap of a pork butt once in a while, but that's rare.

pigdog
08-21-2011, 06:23 PM
So, B Howler..... You lay the meat on slices of onion to keep the meat off the grate? I guess that is the same as the celery idea. I like this idea may try it......

pigdog
08-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Ron, doesn't happen as much on my wsm, but on my drums it usually will. Yes talking butts and brisket.

landarc
08-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Other than running a brass brush or ball of foil across the grates, I don't do a lot to my grates and do not have a sticking problem. I don't keep the grates really clean, I like them with some seasoning.

BlueHowler
08-21-2011, 06:31 PM
So, B Howler..... You lay the meat on slices of onion to keep the meat off the grate? I guess that is the same as the celery idea. I like this idea may try it......

Yep! That's the idea. The onion will add a bit of flavor to the meat but the main thing is the meat will not stick.

pigdog
08-21-2011, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Gonna try the celery and the onion trick.

BBQ Bandit
08-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Just thinking out loud here...

Those veggie/perferated aluminum trays used for grilling...