PDA

View Full Version : storing/transporting butts and brisket

eggzlot
08-18-2011, 05:52 PM
All -

I am smoking some butts and brisket today, for a dinner party tomorrow. Due to a 5 hour drive and afternoon activities tomorrow, it was impossible to time it out to just hold the meats for a few hours in a cooler/cambro, then serve. I tried every which way, but it was just not possible.

So I am left with smoking today, pack it up tonight and serve for dinner tomorrow.

Butts: It is best to pull them, put a little sauce and the pull into a zip loc bag, and just microwave on low power or if the person has a slow cooker reheat in that tomorrow?

Brisket: Better to slice tonight then zip loc, refrigerate and reheat tomorrow (how would I reheat?). Or is it best to keep unsliced and just wrap tight in foil, put in fridge, and tomorrow put the whole brisket back into an oven at my destination on a low setting to warm it up? If so, how long in the oven assuming about 225 degrees?

The brisket is has been resting for about 45 minutes. I was tinkering with the idea of opening up the foil, cutting off the point, and putting back on smoker for burnt ends, but if it is best to keep the brisket untouched and just slice tomorrow, maybe i'll just leave the point on to help retain some tenderness/moisture?

I only have the cheaper refrigerator vacuum sealer, not the large one with freezer bags, but i do have some big bags if that is helpful. Again not sure if there is a crock pot at my destination.

Terry Knife
08-18-2011, 05:58 PM
For reheating pulled pork we generally put 2-3 in a hotel pan and warm up in the oven at 400, or in the pit at "as high as it can get".

I've never reheated brisket except for leftovers so I'm no help here as to what will/won't dry them out.

bam
08-18-2011, 06:06 PM
We vac brisket slices and put bags in boiling water to bring up to temp.

powerpig
08-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Just a thought: Double wrap them in foil and reheat on the smoker if you have time. Of course transfer them to a ice chest to transport.

eggzlot
08-18-2011, 06:26 PM
thanks for suggestions. No smoker where I am going.

I have the hand pump vac-seal, still need to get the heavy duty freezer ones that I can also boil food in, so that suggestion is not going to work tonight.

I am less concerned with the pork. I know I can pull it tonight, and I've had decent success warming it in the past.

Just wondering if I should slice brisket tonight and hand pump/vac seal, keep brisket full and just wrap in foil then tomorrow pop it into an oven to reheat.

Midnight Smoke
08-18-2011, 06:35 PM
I am no expert but it seems to me the Brisket may be less dry if kept whole for reheating. I think I would add some broth to the pan for steaming moist heat too.

smokeyokie
08-18-2011, 08:12 PM
If you can leave it all whole and wrap in foil and stick in fridge... reheat in 300 degree oven until back to temp and let rest for half hour the pull the pork and slice the brisket... This is great if you have time!!! if you pull/slice early it tends to dry out IMO... best of luck:becky:

Cook
08-19-2011, 09:03 AM
I guarantee that several butts & brisket would have hot held just fine for a minimum of 8-10 hours if properly packed.

markdtn
08-19-2011, 09:56 AM
If you can leave it all whole and wrap in foil and stick in fridge... reheat in 300 degree oven until back to temp and let rest for half hour the pull the pork and slice the brisket... This is great if you have time!!! if you pull/slice early it tends to dry out IMO... best of luck:becky:

That is what I would do. Leave whole and wrapped and re-heat in the oven.

BBQ_MAFIA
08-19-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm late to the thread, but I would have pulled the pork and then reheat on site.
I would leave the brisket whole and reheat in the oven with some beef broth.

What did you end up doing?

Cook
08-19-2011, 11:36 AM
If you can leave it all whole and wrap in foil and stick in fridge... reheat in 300 degree oven until back to temp and let rest for half hour the pull the pork and slice the brisket

While this is similar to the method I would use if I needed to cool and reheat, I would warn that there some important information missing from the above scenario.

While I would wrap and chill you need to be aware that you should NEVER put a hot butt or brisket in your home refrigerator. Never under any circumstance should you do that. While I am not always an advocate of following strict commercial foodservice standards at home I do know when a catastrophic sequence of events is about to happen. Doing the above could ruin your bbq, it could ruin the other food in your fridge, and in some cases it could possibly ruin the compressor on the fridge itself.

I also reheat whole pieces of meat in the 350 range...wrapped in foil in the oven. Reheating to 165 degrees is a very safe way of doing this, but I would not go much above that if I go above it at all. There is also no need to rest the meat after a reheat like this.

Best of luck.

jestridge
08-19-2011, 12:05 PM
A good cooler should kept the hot for at least 7 hour .

kwas68
08-19-2011, 01:00 PM
I vacuum seal pulled pork and heat the whole bag up in hot water. Just as moist and flavorful. I don't think you can over re-heat this way.

markdtn
08-19-2011, 01:26 PM
... Doing the above could ruin your bbq, it could ruin the other food in your fridge, and in some cases it could possibly ruin the compressor on the fridge itself....

I understand on the BBQ and the other food, but not sure I follow how you can ruin a compressor? This is just a large heat load. Not much different than putting a couple gallons of hot tea to cool isn't it? The compressor on a home fridge is either on if it needs cooling, or off if it doesn't.

Cook
08-19-2011, 03:05 PM
I understand on the BBQ and the other food, but not sure I follow how you can ruin a compressor? This is just a large heat load. Not much different than putting a couple gallons of hot tea to cool isn't it? The compressor on a home fridge is either on if it needs cooling, or off if it doesn't.

And the same rule applies with the gallons of hot tea. This is a dangerous practice.

The compressor on a residential refrigerator is not designed for continuous use. They normally cycle on & off a few minutes at a time. With a load of hot food going in there they compressor can literally stay on for hours (depending on the load). This will not kill every compressor, but it can overwork one and kill a few here & there.

As always...do as you please.

markdtn
08-19-2011, 03:30 PM
And the same rule applies with the gallons of hot tea. This is a dangerous practice.

The compressor on a residential refrigerator is not designed for continuous use. They normally cycle on & off a few minutes at a time. With a load of hot food going in there they compressor can literally stay on for hours (depending on the load). This will not kill every compressor, but it can overwork one and kill a few here & there.

As always...do as you please.

OK, did not know that. Thanks!

Kenny Rogers
08-19-2011, 03:49 PM
I realize this is too late, but I'd pull it off as late as possible, wrap it in a heavy sleeping bag, and stick them in a cooler, they'll stay HOT for 7-8 hours.

Keeping as much of the brisket hot and in tact is always the best way to go to prevent it from drying out.

When you warm it up, I'd agree with Cook above "I also reheat whole pieces of meat in the 350 range...wrapped in foil in the oven. Reheating to 165 degrees is a very safe way of doing this, but I would not go much above that if I go above it at all. There is also no need to rest the meat after a reheat like this."

But I'd add some liquid to that foil before putting it in the oven. Beef broth, or some leftover injection/marinade.

As far as the pork butt goes, I don't think you can go wrong with shredding it when it comes off the cooker... there's so much fat in the pork butt that it will stay moist if sealed. I WOULD NOT, however, add the bbq sauce to the pulled pork. Just my opinion, but I prefer to serve the sauce on the side. I want the pork to be the star, not the sauce! And that way, if you have leftovers, you can use it for all kins of delicious recipes!

I hope everything worked out for you!

eggzlot
08-21-2011, 02:45 PM
All thanks for all the advice.

For the brisket: I left it whole and untouched. Let it rest in the cooler for a few hours, then into my fridge. To re-heat it, I unwrapped it, took all the beef jelly stuff and gave it some water to make a liquid of sorts, put that in the bottom of the pan and the brisket on a rack to be above the pan. Covered it to steam it and cooked in oven at about 250 for close to 2 hours. Got to about 160/165.

Pork - I pulled it after a few hours of resting, then put it into a pan with apple juice and diet coke to reheat.

Both came out as good as I could have hoped for; it was not the same as pulling it off the smoker and serving it fresh, but that was not an option for this cook.