PDA

View Full Version : Smoked turkey

The OC Kid
08-17-2011, 06:42 PM
I am relatively new to smoking on the bbq. I have done it probably about 10 to 12 times with baby backs, fish, and a pulled pork. I have a horizontal smoker. A Brinkman. I am still learning how to keep the heat consistant

I am thinking about doing a whole turkey next week. I am looking for any tips or advice from anybody that has smoked a whole turkey. I plan on injecting the turkey and then a dry rub.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pappy
08-17-2011, 06:53 PM
This might hepl. I used the search box at the bottom.
Scroll down and you will see it.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106798

The OC Kid
08-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Very helpful. Thank you very much

Smoothsmoke
08-17-2011, 07:54 PM
How are you liking the brinmann offset thus far? I miss mine, putting in whole logs was fun.

ymmiT
08-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Brine, smoke about 5 to 6 hrs then foil and cooler for another hour.

Sent from my 3vo using Tapatalk

smokeyokie
08-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Brine, smoke about 5 to 6 hrs then foil and cooler for another hour.

Sent from my 3vo using Tapatalk
what he said..... brine is the way to go on poultry!!!! just cook to IT 185:thumb:

ToddM
08-17-2011, 09:33 PM
I've not done one since getting a WSM but I've done a few on a Weber OTG. The first was a simple Butterball with some seasoning on the outside of the bird. Indirect but high heat for around 2 to 2.5 hrs. Turned out delicious. Next tried brining a natural bird but didn't see a substantial improvement over the Butterball bird. In fact, I liked the BB better. Have since done another BB. I think high heat is the key.

RevZiLLa
08-17-2011, 09:42 PM
The advice above is good. I like to take a few tamales out of the husk and put them into the cavity as stuffing.

smokeyokie
08-17-2011, 09:48 PM
The advice above is good. I like to take a few tamales out of the husk and put them into the cavity as stuffing.
Sweet!!! I love the forum!!! that is a cool idea:thumb:

geo
08-17-2011, 09:49 PM
I've not done one since getting a WSM but I've done a few on a Weber OTG. The first was a simple Butterball with some seasoning on the outside of the bird. Indirect but high heat for around 2 to 2.5 hrs. Turned out delicious. Next tried brining a natural bird but didn't see a substantial improvement over the Butterball bird. In fact, I liked the BB better. Have since done another BB. I think high heat is the key.

Ditto
I have done three birds on my kettle and each turned out great. No brine, indirect heat and about 2.5 hours of cook with a little wood on the coals for a light smoke. The Weber kettle is a turkey cooking machine.

ToddM
08-17-2011, 09:52 PM
I have done three birds on my kettle and each turned out great. No brine, indirect heat and about 2.5 hours of cook with a little wood on the coals for a light smoke. The Weber kettle is a turkey cooking machine.

Indeed. I want to get a rotisserie ring for mine for the next bird.

The OC Kid
08-18-2011, 12:23 AM
How are you liking the brinmann offset thus far? I miss mine, putting in whole logs was fun.

@ Smoothsmok - I am still learning the Brinkmann offset. I have had some good results so far. I am still learning to keep a constant heat. After a few hours, I struggle to keep the heat at around 225. It seems that no matter how much charcoal that I put in the box is does not get to hot.
I really like grilling on the offset though, I have some flexibility to move the meat around and cook high heat indirectly. I find this effective with steaks and some chicken.

The OC Kid
08-18-2011, 12:24 AM
By the way, thank you everybody for the advice. I will let everybody know how it turns out.

Big slick
08-18-2011, 08:15 AM
I never brine and my turkeys come out moist. Rub with olive oil and Simply Marvelous Season. Be sure to get under the skin. Let it sit overnight and smoke at 350-375. About 3/4 of the way I cover the breasts and wings with tinfoil to keep from drying out. Make sure you let it rest at least a half hour once it's done cooking. Smoked turkey is out of this world.

TN_BBQ
08-18-2011, 08:27 AM
I like to brine mine and spatchcock them.

During the holidays, I get nice comments from friends and neighbors (and a little cash, too).

Smoothsmoke
08-19-2011, 01:12 AM
@ Smoothsmok - I am still learning the Brinkmann offset. I have had some good results so far. I am still learning to keep a constant heat. After a few hours, I struggle to keep the heat at around 225. It seems that no matter how much charcoal that I put in the box is does not get to hot.
I really like grilling on the offset though, I have some flexibility to move the meat around and cook high heat indirectly. I find this effective with steaks and some chicken.

I believe I know why your temps are dropping. In the fire chamber, the grate that you put the charcoal/wood on sits way too low. So ash accumulates and snuffs out the fire a bit. Gotta find a way to elevate that grate.

The OC Kid
08-19-2011, 01:48 AM
I believe I know why your temps are dropping. In the fire chamber, the grate that you put the charcoal/wood on sits way too low. So ash accumulates and snuffs out the fire a bit. Gotta find a way to elevate that grate.

You are exactly right. Do you empty your ash half way through the cooking?

bigdaddydanbbq
08-19-2011, 08:06 AM
I like to stuff my turkey with oranges and onions cut in half. That helps with moisture as well as flavor.

Smoothsmoke
08-19-2011, 09:56 AM
You are exactly right. Do you empty your ash half way through the cooking?

I used to try and get some of it out after 2 hours or so. But you have to be fast in doing so, maybe 30 seconds max in doing it. I used to use a long gardening tool to do scrape it out. It's probably easier to just build something to hold the grate up higher to get proper air flow though.

Smoothsmoke
08-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Check it out. That's one way to mod it.

Brinkmann Smoker Firebox Mod - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVt4Po7BWn8)

Chef Jim
08-19-2011, 10:08 AM
To all they guys that told you to brine, I'm sorry. I never brine poultry, it's over rated, takes too long, and you get the idea. Your initial idea was to inject. Yes, Yes This is the perfect way to smoke a turkey. I do low and slow, but if you feel the need, go ahead and add some high heat.

Best of luck, post pictures.

Al Czervik
08-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Thanks for all the great tips and ideas... I've been wanting to do up a bird that has been iin the freezer for a while and now have the motivation to do so! :thumb:

The OC Kid
08-20-2011, 01:06 AM
Great idea Smoothsmoke. I will keep you guys posted.

Pappy
08-20-2011, 07:52 AM
Great idea Smoothsmoke. I will keep you guys posted.
That was a good itea. If I had a Brinkman that would be the way to go. It's a heavy duty fix.