PDA

View Full Version : Wild turkey breast cook

huntin smoke
08-15-2011, 09:51 PM
My father-in-law has a turkey breast he wants me to smoke for him from a bird he shot earlier this year and I was just wondering if anyone had smoke one before. How did you smoke it and what did you use. Thanks for the help in advance.

Grain Belt
08-15-2011, 11:14 PM
I have done them two ways. In both I start with boneless breast halves.

One way is to brine overnight in a 1 to 8 cup canning salt to water ratio with another 1/2 cup sugar. Then pat dry on the outside and smoke until breast reaches 165 internal. I then rest with a tent foil for 20 minutes.

Another way is to cure the breast for a week with morton's tender quick, brown sugar, garlic and peper. I am away from home and don't have my exact recipe. Check out the morton salt website for some ideas. After I cure for a week, I soak the meat for an hour in water and then dry thoroughly. Then smoke with desired woods until 165 internal.

I usually smoke my meat on a weber kettle under medium indirect heat and using apple wood.

The first recipe can be basted while cooking to retain moisture. It is best served hot right after grilling. It does make a nice sandwich as a leftover.

The cured bird in the second version is more like a special treat to be served as a cold appetizer on crackers with a flavorful cheese and a nice beverage. It can also be sliced thin for an ultimate example of a great cold cut on a sandwich.

kcmike
08-15-2011, 11:49 PM
Ahhh, wild turkeys. Man I love to bow hunt for those.

My favorite way to prepare wild turkey breasts (boneless/skinless) is the bag method. It's very easy. Basically, you start with a gallon size zip lock bag and put one turkey breast in it. Then add 1/4 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup Oakridge BBQ Game Bird & Chicken Rub. (Oakridge BBQ Game Bird & Chicken rub is specifically formulated to go with wild upland game birds as well as the usual domesticated yardbird.) Zip the bag closed and message the meat around with the oil and rub until it is all mixed and everything is covered evenly. Then, toss the bag into the fridge for 6 hours to overnight.

When you're ready, just take the seasoned breasts out of the bag and place them directly onto a charcoal grill fired up with hardwood lump charcoal and your favorite flavor wood for smoke. Cook them indirect for about an hour then flip them over the coals and put a nice char on both sides. Aim for internal temp of 165º -170º.

I don't have any recent pictures of this process with turkey breasts, but here are some pics of a cook I did recently using the exact same method on chicken breasts...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qOtw2eniucQ/TgdYGRbe9cI/AAAAAAAAARE/59Kd8Ydkj0w/s1600/MJT_7525.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-W7hNbpl8JA8/TgdYHyU9OoI/AAAAAAAAARM/ZObsWpPRIy4/s1600/MJT_7532.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-U3fJwloM-hc/TgdYHWcQMhI/AAAAAAAAARI/kIZvg3R4lC4/s1600/MJT_7531.jpg

Here's your's truly with one of my archery birds from last year...

El Lobo
08-16-2011, 07:09 AM
Can't argue with kcmike, that's some good looking meat.