PDA

View Full Version : First DQ

monty3777
08-14-2011, 10:29 AM
I headed up to Rochester, MN for their comp this week. Really, really well organized! Had lots of fun and met some Brethren. I was in a great mood because my neighbor got a vending trailer and let me borrow his camper. It was like I was living in luxury. I was really happy with how things were going. Then I saw a rep walk up to my door. Apparently I didn't use a sharp enough knife to cut my ribs as two were stuck together. :icon_blush::heh:

No one to blame but myself. I have a routine with ribs that is supposed to guarantee that this doesn't happen. But I guess I missed something.

As much as it sucked to get the news, I can't imagine what it must be like for reps to deliver that news. It must be a horrible job. The reps in Rochester were great. No lecture, just sympathy. For all the things that may be wrong with KCBS, I felt like those reps (William and Debra Gage) did a great job of enforcing the rules while also being good people, and good BBQ folks.

bearnakedbbq
08-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Guess I don't understand how you got DQ. If one judge didn't get his/her meat then that should have been the score that was dropped. what am I missing?

bbqbull
08-14-2011, 10:37 AM
That is a severe kick in the teeth to you and your team for sure.
We inspect every rib after being cut and then place them individualy in the box.
Better luck next time.

monty3777
08-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Guess I don't understand how you got DQ. If one judge didn't get his/her meat then that should have been the score that was dropped. what am I missing?

I may be using the wrong language. Whatever it was, it sucked and I learned my lesson :doh:

Vince RnQ
08-14-2011, 11:33 AM

Per KCBS rules:

"All judges will give a one (1) in Appearance for unapproved garnish, pooled sauce or less than 6 samples of meat."

ModelMaker
08-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Bummer Nate,
Maybe 8 chunks is the best recourse. Oh well.
Come on down to the lake and I'll buy you a commiserate beer.
Ed
Oh and by the way, excellent man up.
I screwed up, move along please nothing to see here!!

Chucktown
08-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Monty, I was actually talking to the judge this happened to after the contest. She is a master judge and felt terrible this happened to a team. Quoting her, she said the two ribs we're held together by a very thin piece. She picked up the rib and saw the two we're connected. Held them over the box for a couple of seconds hoping they would fall apart, but they didn't. So, the last judge didn't have a rib to judge. Really sorry to find out this was your team it happened to.
On a happier note, it was really great meeting you this weekend. If anyone needs your knives sharpened, Monty is the guy to do it. Did a great job on ours. Thanks again.

Ron_L
08-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Sorry to hear that, Nate. I have a recurring nightmare about a rep walking up to me during turn-ins :-D

monty3777
08-14-2011, 01:10 PM
It was great meeting you as well Doug. Nice job on some great calls!

Rich Parker
08-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Damn I was hoping you were going to say your first Dairy Queen. Sorry to hear it Nate!

WineMaster
08-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Wow, That sucks Nate It was great to meet you and the other Brethren at the comp. I thought it was a very well run contest. I will be there next year for sure!

Dan

Rookie'48
08-14-2011, 02:58 PM
That really bites, Nate. I always cut, slide to the side 2-3 inches, cut, slide,etc. I forget who showed me that, but it sunk in. I've been the judge who lifted up two ribs & I've been the one not to get a rib - it hurts either way.

QansasjayhawQ
08-14-2011, 08:31 PM
I was one who discovered two slices of brisket stuck together a couple years ago. No matter what the DQ reason is, my heart just sinks because I know what it means to the cook/team that turned it in. It's heartbreaking and I hate it when a DQ happens.

SuperQue
08-14-2011, 08:53 PM
I judged a comp last week and I picked up 2 ribs out of the box. Luckily there were more than 6 pieces.

stan
08-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Monty happened to me this weekend as well in Pacific MO. I had Carolyn Wells as the rep who came and told me. I got in a hurry and did not ensure each was separated like I normally do..... With a 4th in chicken, 13th pork and 10th brisket and the ribs if were just average would have been in top 10 instead of 35th out of 40 teams.. sucked!

jbrink01
08-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Sorry to hear that, Nate. I have a recurring nightmare about a rep walking up to me during turn-ins :-D

Ron - Ask Bunny Tuttle about walking up to me after a ribs turn in last year carrying a box. She was looking for another team and thought I might know them. I nearly carpped myself.

monty3777
08-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Monty happened to me this weekend as well in Pacific MO. I had Carolyn Wells as the rep who came and told me. I got in a hurry and did not ensure each was separated like I normally do..... With a 4th in chicken, 13th pork and 10th brisket and the ribs if were just average would have been in top 10 instead of 35th out of 40 teams.. sucked!

That would have really blown. If I'm honest even a strong rib score wouldn't have helped me much overall. I think I'll take my scenario over yours! :-D

Bam Bam
08-14-2011, 11:14 PM
Exact same thing happened to me yesterday! It was my third comp and man did I learn my lesson. I only turned in 6 as well, what sucked even worse is that I nailed those ribs, the other scores were great. I bet neither one of us will ever have ribs stuck together again :-P

EarlyBird
08-15-2011, 09:29 AM

I had rep come visit us during turn in time. I just about $hit when I saw him walking fast directly to our site. Turns out someone knock over the official time clock and broke it. He wanted to borrow ours. I was glad to give it to him.