PDA

View Full Version : kitchen scale advise

Plitz
08-13-2011, 09:16 AM
I have been kicking around the idea of purchasing a digital kitchen scale.The scale I have in mind is the OXO good grips,I have read many good reviews and am confident in this product choice.
The part I'm having trouble is with the model,I have a choice between a 11-pound capacity scale for $50 or a 5 -pound capacity for $30. I mainly want one of thees for weighing flour when making bread and for being able to evenly split my dough halves.I'm sure that I find some other uses along the way but this is my main reason for purchasing one now.
I would like to buy the #5 scale and save a few dollars but don't want to be disappointed in the end ? And spend the other $20 on a cook book or something. I don't think that I'd ever measure over #5,but I had read a review where some said "the #11 is nice for when you use a heavy bowl" This threw me off a bit as I never owned one and was under the imprecision I could set a glass bowl on there and then just tare out the weight of the bowl?And everything would be fine if I never went over #5's of ingredients?
So my question is #11 VS #5,and will I be fine with a #5 as long as my ingredients never surpass #5's? Thx

Crazy Harry
08-13-2011, 09:56 AM
If you put a 4 lb bowl oh it and tare it then you only can put 1 lb of ingredients in it. 5 lb is the total capacity including the tare.

Carbon
08-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Whatever model you choose if you're using it for baking make sure it has a bakers' percentage mode.

mmmmeat
08-13-2011, 11:40 AM
def get the 11 pounder, and get the oxo one with the removable back lit readout ( like i did for my wife) i thought it might be a useless venture, but when ya gotta biggole bowl, on it it's hard to see the read out from above it, and the lit up screen is a real help in the middle of the night when yer eyes are tired.

get the 11 pounder, you wont be disappointed