PDA

View Full Version : Should we change our BBQ Team Name?

Sawdustguy
08-12-2011, 10:27 AM
At every contest there always seems to be someone who doesn't share our sense of humor. Our team name is The Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team and it describes me and my brother to a tee. At this past weekend's BOTBB we got a hard time from one of the spectators because of the "Polocks" in our team name. We are actually very proud of our Polish heritage. My brother and I figure if you can't make fun of yourself you have no sense of humor. On the other hand, we do not want to offend anyone either. This is not the first time it has happened. The name gets a chuckle out of most, but from time to time we encounter someone who doesn't share our humor. What do you think? Should we consider changing our name?

Warthog
08-12-2011, 10:32 AM
I see no problem with you team name. I find it to be a great team name. If some people are so thin skinned that your team name offends them so be it. From what I see there is always someone who get offended by something.
There are a lot of over the top team names out there. They are all good!
PS: I think I have seen your team in a few comps here in the North East. Next time I will stop by and say hello.

colonel00
08-12-2011, 10:37 AM
I think it is fine as well. It is not intended to offend and much better than many I have seen. A buddy of mine calls his team My Dixie Wrecked and I always fancied the name Liquor in the Front, Smoker in the Rear.

Podge
08-12-2011, 10:39 AM
It's totally your call. If you all were not Polish, I'd say change it.

SmokeInDaEye
08-12-2011, 10:50 AM
It's a great name and it really showcases the teams great sense of humor.

BBQ_MAFIA
08-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Don't change anything!!
It's a great team name with a great logo.
Besides that, you and the rest of the team are great people.
You will never make everybody happy so don't even try.
Anybody who has ever talked with your team knows that
there is nothing mean spirted about The Two Fat Polocks.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.....

timzcardz
08-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Yes, by all means change it!

Then I'll find a reason that your new name is offensive and you can change it again. :wink:

And again, and again, and again, ad infinitum.

Fark'em if they can't take a joke, a self-deprecating one at that.

You can't please everyone, so as long as you aren't pissing off everyone, just worry about pleasing yourself.

Cue's Your Daddy
08-12-2011, 11:06 AM
How is it offensive? Your polish and a little on the fat side...

Q-Dat
08-12-2011, 11:11 AM
PLEEEEEEEEEEEAAASE DON'T CHANGE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Political correctness is eating away at our nation like a cancer! People need to get it through their heads that they have absolutely no constitutional right whatsoever to not be offended!

Mini rant over.

pigmaker23
08-12-2011, 11:13 AM
must have been a lesbo,vegetarion, skinny chick.... :-P

Alexa RnQ
08-12-2011, 11:17 AM
*sigh* Your team name suits YOU, you picked it out to please yourselves, not every passerby. Considering some of the awful names out there I wouldn't start by picking on you guys!

Seriously, people walk up and give you grief about it? Can you go off on them with a few well-chosen sentences in Polish??

NS Mike D
08-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Intention and perception

When I first saw your sign, I assumed you were Polish and had no intention of using the word with any malice- just the opposite - pride and a sense of humor.

That's just me, but I suspect that is how most people would perceive it.

Of course, there will always be someone offended.

My only complaint would be false advertising. Not one kielbasa was fired up and shared with your neighbors all weekend.

It's your choice of how politically correct you want to be, and if you are comfortable with it, I'd say don't change it.

Words only have the meaning we ascribed to them.

Lake Dogs
08-12-2011, 11:21 AM
How is it offensive? Your polish and a little on the fat side...

Or fat and a little on the Polish side....

PLEASE DONT CHANGE THE NAME. BE OFFENDED THAT THEY TOOK OFFENSE. IT'S AN INSULT TO YOUR HERITAGE.

Seriously. They really need to get a life.

We have a lot, and I mean a LOT of "cats taste like chicken" and "cat, it's what's for dinner" type of signs. People are constantly acting all pissy. They can kiss my fanny for all I care. We have them because they're funny. Oh, we also have 3 freakin' cats at home, and they're not on the menu (yet).

deguerre
08-12-2011, 11:24 AM
The Grim Reaper has spoken. End of story. Fark 'em.

Arlin_MacRae
08-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Fark those guys! If you have to, tell them you ARE two fat Polocks and if they still don't get it, walk away - gestures optional! :)

Westexbbq
08-12-2011, 11:45 AM
No way Guy.
Don't let a few narrow-minded, uptight needle-d**ked goat farkers cast any aspersions on the good name of the Kowalski family bbq comp team name.
Many moons ago when I first saw y'all at one of the early grill kings comps, I thought it was hilarious, especially after seeing you folks milling around getting your turn in boxes ready.
The Two Fat Pollacks are a bbq comp institution and just remember what you can say the next time you experience a detractor,".......... and the horse they rode in on.!"

tugbone
08-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Im a polock and I like your team name I see not harm in it at all.
Screw them if they cant take a joke.

landarc
08-12-2011, 12:22 PM
As the forums over-reactive ethnic person, I find no problem with your name. You are using it for your team and in a setting that is neither government sanctioned or forced upon anyone. There is no reason you should worry about what someone says about your name.

I don't believe it is political correctness if I object to someone applying what could be considered a slur to a group of people as a perjorative, if it is outward, it is wrong. Quite frankly, since Guy is referencing himself, it is a total different point. Similar to the rap group NWA, which used the word Niggaz in reference to themselves. If they choose to reference themselves in that matter it is theirs to own.

Todd Ras
08-12-2011, 12:22 PM
In no way change it.....If someone has a problem then it's there problem.

sitnfat
08-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Looking at the team names and banners is part of the fun of competition BBQ for me. I don't wanna read lame names I like seeing the creative ideas and getting a good laugh from them don't change a thing!

deguerre
08-12-2011, 12:34 PM
No way Guy.
Don't let a few narrow-minded, uptight needle-d**ked goat farkers cast any aspersions on the good name of the Kowalski family bbq comp team name.

Wait. Sacco complained?

Burnita Boy 1
08-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Keep It!!!!

Harbormaster
08-12-2011, 12:49 PM
I have a little Polish heritage as well (on my dad's mom's side).

My dad used to have a foot long 3/4 inch dowel in a stand with a padlock on top. Of course, it was a "pole-lock".

Keep the name, use it with pride.

ChicagoSizzlin
08-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Dont change it !!!! Love it !!

bigsapper
08-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Had an ole saying back in HS (circa late '70s) ...

Fark 'em if they can't take a joke.

My chili team's name (see sig) translated means the four pricks.

Smoke & Beers
08-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Keep it!

What I want to know is when are your team T-shirts going to be made available to the public? I'd buy one :becky:

Smokin Hoggz
08-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Keep the name, it's great!!!!!screw em if they can't take a joke

Cue's Your Daddy
08-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Wait. Sacco complained?

DUDE, awesome job..

Untraceable
08-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Usually pollacks embrase the stereotype with great humor. must have been part german too

Greendriver
08-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Absolutely NOT. Tell em to get a life.

dclaussen
08-12-2011, 01:43 PM
If you were neither fat, nor Polish then you should change your name. Being that you and your brother, according to your description, are both...tell them to get bent! You can't please everybody all the time, so you might as well please yourself. If they cant take a joke then they have bigger issues in life than the one they've taken with your team's name.

huminie
08-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Usually pollacks embrase the stereotype with great humor. must have been part german too

Why'd you have to go and bring fish into this? :tape:

Lake Dogs
08-12-2011, 01:54 PM
I see a new team name being born......:

uptight needle-d**ked goat farkers BBQ

Sawdustguy
08-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Thank you to all who have responded. After all the replies I am convinced that our name should not be changed. If in the future someone stops by our site we will always have some Kielbasa and Sauerkraut at the ready. We are proud of our Polish heritage and were just poking fun at ourselves in the name.

swamprb
08-12-2011, 02:07 PM
I have two co-workers that lived on Long Island after emigrating from Poland in the late 80's. I was showing them a Polish Sausage making website and they were translating and reminiscing about areas from their homeland depicted on the site.
They were interested in grilling and asking for advice for different meats. When they were relating memories of LI, I told them about your team and showed them the link and homepage - they were pretty offended by your team name. I showed them the About You page and they still didn't see any humor in it.

They find the term offensive. What can I say?

Just relating the experience.

If you do change the name, people will still remember you as Guy & Gary of TFP.

Kenny Rogers
08-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Musta been two DUMB Poloks that said that... Like George Carlin used to say, it's not the names you have to worry about, it's the racist A-Hole using them.

Don't let someone tell you what you can and/or can't call yourselves!
Our team name is "Off Constantly" Because NOBODY, I mean NOBODY, can beat Off Contantly. Do you think THAT's Offensive?? LOL

riblette
08-12-2011, 02:26 PM
I'm a little offended. :icon_blush:

David
PitMaster
Kitty Drowning, Puppy Molesting, Your Grandma is Ugly BBQ Team

Jason TQ
08-12-2011, 02:29 PM

I like it. Refined yet with a hint of irony :-P.

I say keep the name too. Offensive is such a relative term and that name isn't bad at all. You can tell the teams names looking to get attention just for the sake of getting attention. There are greater tragedies in the world....such as Justin Bieber.

QansasjayhawQ
08-12-2011, 02:48 PM

Already taken . . .

bigsapper
08-12-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm a little offended. :icon_blush:

David
PitMaster
Kitty Drowning, Puppy Molesting, Your Grandma is Ugly BBQ Team

What you did there, I see it.

Scottie
08-12-2011, 05:14 PM
I have people tell me mine is offensive as well. I tell them to go and tell my daughters who lost their mommy and dont remember her bexause they were only 5 and 2 when she was taken from us.

They usually run away. If they dont, i usually pommel their asses.

Fark 'em

BBQ Bandit
08-12-2011, 05:25 PM
I see three aspects....

1. If you change the name... the t-shirt I own with your original name just became a collector's item.
2. If it was complained by skinny people... what were they doing at a BBQ event?
and 3. Were they fat vegans?

Keep the name... tell them to look for their misplaced humor.

bbqbrad
08-12-2011, 06:17 PM
No, I don't think you should change it.! I mean, If they don't like it that you're fat.. to heck with them!

JD McGee
08-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Should we change our BBQ Team Name?

Nope! :-P Fark 'em if they can't take a joke!

Bentley
08-12-2011, 07:49 PM
What do you think? Should we consider changing our name?

Do their rights outweight yours?

No.

Yeh, tellem to get bent or Richard or Jake for that matter...

rookiedad
08-12-2011, 07:54 PM
good for you for deciding to keep the name! just for fun, what were you going to call yourselves if you did change it?

Alexa RnQ
08-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Two Differently Weighted Individuals of Proud Polish-American Heritage

watertowerbbq
08-12-2011, 08:10 PM
heck no don't change it.

you could tell them "2 skinny eastern european gigolos" was already taken

Grillman
08-12-2011, 08:11 PM
There is WAY too many people out there trying to find something that they
think they can be offended by....so they can complain. (IMO)

I think your team name is fine. The next time somebody complains about
your name; tell them to "Get a Brain; and use it".

GreenDrake
08-12-2011, 09:21 PM
My team is Off Constantly. If someone doesn't like your name, whoop de doo.

CTSmokehouse
08-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Thank you to all who have responded. After all the replies I am convinced that our name should not be changed. If in the future someone stops by our site we will always have some Kielbasa and Sauerkraut at the ready. We are proud of our Polish heritage and were just poking fun at ourselves in the name.

I have always enjoyed your humor and hospitality...the name and logo should remain the same...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Sledneck
08-12-2011, 11:10 PM
You guys are fat?

Big A
08-13-2011, 01:19 AM
Keep it It's your heritage the haters can deal with it.

Trucky1008
08-13-2011, 07:27 AM
How many Polocks does it take to change a team name????

....off to the penalty box! :oops:

Bigdog
08-13-2011, 08:07 AM
In a word: No! Your team name is one of my favs. It tells me that you are on the big side (as many of us here are and wear shirts with X's on the tag which Darrin of Iowa's Smokey D's BBQ assured me that 2X is BBQ medium), are of proud Polish decent, and have a sense of humor. I love that combination and want to take you up on that keilbasa and sauerkrut. :cool: I also assume that beer will be involved.:thumb::cool::cool:

I am Czech and grew up in a Czech community. We are pround of our heritage and tell "dumb Bohemie" or "Bohunk" jokes about ourselves. It's just what we do. People who did not grow up in this type of community may not undestand this. So be it. Fark 'em if they can't get the joke.

Big Mike
08-13-2011, 08:08 AM
PLEEEEEEEEEEEAAASE DON'T CHANGE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Political correctness is eating away at our nation like a cancer! People need to get it through their heads that they have absolutely no constitutional right whatsoever to not be offended!

Mini rant over.

Exactly

Lake Dogs
08-13-2011, 08:12 AM
In a word: No! Your team name is one of my favs. It tells me that you are on the big side (as many of us here are and wear shirts with X's on the tag which Darrin of Iowa's Smokey D's BBQ assured me that 2X is BBQ medium), are of proud Polish decent, and have a sense of humor. I love that combination and want to take you up on that keilbasa and sauerkrut. :cool: I also assume that beer will be involved.:thumb::cool::cool:

I am Czech and grew up in a Czech community. We are pround of our heritage and tell "dumb Bohemie" or "Bohunk" jokes about ourselves. It's just what we do. People who did not grow up in this type of community may not undestand this. So be it. Fark 'em if they can't get the joke.

Exactly, same thing in cajun country with Boudreaux and Thibodeaux jokes.

Perhaps it's just cultural. Meaning, the offended folks may not have grown up in the states. That, or they're just anal to begin with.

BBQ_Mayor
08-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Leave it alone. I don't see anything wrong with it at all. I could go on a rant here but I'll stop while I'm still excepted on this site. peace out.

Matt_A
08-13-2011, 08:26 AM
Simply put.... You will NEVER please everyone. Don't change.

If you haven't heard it, the Eagles wrote a new song for their reunion tour and the Hell Freezes Over album. It's called "Get Over It" You probably ought to have it on your phone so you can play it for the maroons that are "offended".

The 1st verse:

I turn on the tube and what do I see
A whole lotta people cryin’ ’don’t blame me’
They point their crooked little fingers ar everybody else
Spend all their time feelin’ sorry for themselves
Victim of this, victim of that
Your momma’s too thin; your daddy’s too fat

Get over it
Get over it
All this whinin’ and cryin’ and pitchin’ a fit
Get over it, get over it

Sledneck
08-13-2011, 08:47 AM
Not sure how it will fit on a score sheet but u should change it to "we beat clints pro pastry chef"

Matt_A
08-13-2011, 04:01 PM
What's really ridiculous is that there was a very strong possibility that the 'offendees' most likely were not even of Polish descent.

BBQchef33
08-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Don't do it. I changed my team name from BBQ-brethren to ne pc and I regret doing it. we will be back as BBQ-brethren next year. Retain who u are. Don't cave to pc the way I did only to regret it

Sent from my Droidx using tapatalk and thats probably u why the typing is worse than usual.

butt head
08-13-2011, 07:16 PM
be proud of who you are. I'm a butthead just like everyone else the only differance is i have a banner :becky:

Rookie'48
08-14-2011, 12:54 AM
Guy, I'm glad that you're keeping the team name as it is. Being (also) of Polish decent, I wear My "Two Fat Polocks" shirt with pride to at least two or three comps a year here in the midwest. Oh yeah, my shirt is a BBQ medium (3X) :thumb:.
Fark 'em!

Kirk
08-14-2011, 08:16 AM
Don't change it Guy. Some people are just to darn sensitive. I can't believe someone would actually give you grief over that.

Phil, what about the name "BBQ Brethren" isn't pc? How could that bother anyone? I haven't been around much lately, did I miss something there?

sitnfat
08-14-2011, 08:33 AM
I now want to enter the same contest as Off Constantly. In hopes we take GC and they take RGC :idea:

Slamdunkpro
08-14-2011, 11:17 AM
When they complain smile sweetly, offer them a Kielbasa and say "Gniazdo od was ze wzdlędów politycznych poprawiają dziurę osł" :becky:

Alexa RnQ
08-14-2011, 11:45 AM
"Gniazdo od was ze wzdlędów politycznych poprawiają dziurę osł"
:shock: http://www.divaherself.com/killingme.gif http://www.divaherself.com/funny/shiner.gif

FltEng
08-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Screw the PC crowd! Keep the name!

Gore
08-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Nothing to add here. Anyone who is offended by that name takes pleasure in being offended. You should be happy that you gave them some pleasure.

rxcellentq
08-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Don't chage a thing. To many peaple get offended by something. I tell my kids that names will never hurt them and that the easiest way to chase a bully is to agree with the teasing. "your right, I'm fat and pollish"

2Fat
08-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Well sure don't a change is in order

phatphingers like tapppytalk

jbrink01
08-14-2011, 10:00 PM
No. If they are offended it is their issue not yours.

jbrink01
08-14-2011, 10:06 PM
I offended one of our admistrative assistants 8 or 9 years ago. I was on the phone with her and was rear-ended at a stoplight by a van load od Mexicans and exclaimed that after I was hit. She hung up on me. You guessed it, she's Mexican.

After I called back and explained that it could have easily been a van load of fat Germans she was better. Some folks are just a bit too sensitive.

CMALANGA
08-15-2011, 11:21 AM
No change required.

TooSaucedToPork
08-15-2011, 09:07 PM
People always laugh at our name, always want a t-shirt, and of course there are 1 or two stuck up peeps (non bbqers of course) that feel it is necessary to give us a lecture about how inappropriate our name is. They don't understand there is usually a story behind every teams name. Ours, well...we won a few 1st place alcoholic beverage trophies before any food trophies. Hence Too Sauced To Pork, the wife actually came up with it :-) The Haters will never understand.

beam boys bbq
08-15-2011, 09:14 PM
stay tru to your self hell we are going through the same thing our new name is Liquor & sticker --- I sell liquor and my wife is an nurse then our shirt sleave will say get your mind out of the gutter it is fun that is all you have to report to is your self !!!!!

5-0 BBQ
08-15-2011, 09:15 PM
I like it. Keep it.

In a few weeks I will be helping a good friend of mine compete. We needed to come up with a team name. Boy did we come up with some good ones. We laughed and found them funny but did not want to offend the thin skinned.

One of my favorites was "White Meat, Dark Meat" Do I need to describe us?

Ole Man Dan
08-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Keep it like it is. Some folks hunt things to 'Offend' them. Ignore them.
Most people won't be offended unless you come of as doing it with malicious intent...
I'm with you on humor beginning at home.
I'm 'bald' and have been since my 20s... I poke good natured fun at myself and other folks with
'solar reflectors'. I don't intend to hurt anyone, but I don't deny reality either.
(I'm not really bald, I just grew thru my hair... :roll:)

CBQ
08-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Keep it. You have been competing under that name for a long time.

Team names are tough. We have a name that doesn't really mean anything, but we spend a lot of time answering questions about THAT. (That and "Where in Rhode Island are you from? Our sign is too small for "Cumberland and Narragansett, State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations".

I wanted to change our name to "Smoke Up Your Butt", but my wife wasn't as amused as I was. :becky:

atvalaska
09-06-2011, 03:45 PM
i have to add screw...them!....bty ;there were 3 polelocks riding in the back of a open bed pick up in a rain storm....the german drivers rounded the conner of the road and found a bridge out...going to fast they ended up in the river...next day the newspaper head line read ""TRUCK GOES IN RIVER, TWO GREMANS IN CAB OK!, 3 POLELOCKS IN BED DROWN TRYING TO GET TAILGATE DOWN" LOL:fish:

Jeff_in_KC
09-06-2011, 03:51 PM
i have to add screw...them!....bty ;there were 3 polelocks riding in the back of a open bed pick up in a rain storm....the german drivers rounded the conner of the road and found a bridge out...going to fast they ended up in the river...next day the newspaper head line read ""TRUCK GOES IN RIVER, TWO GREMANS IN CAB OK!, 3 POLELOCKS IN BED DROWN TRYING TO GET TAILGATE DOWN" LOL:fish:

So I assume you're Polish then?

atvalaska
09-06-2011, 05:04 PM
So I assume you're Polish then? nopo........ alaskan, and i like a good joke :)