PDA

View Full Version : How did you spend your day? (LONG POST)

BrooklynQ
04-10-2005, 06:40 PM
Sorry to hear about all the snows and nasty weather in the rest of the country, but in NYC today, it was the perfect Barbeque weather. Finally, my body and the relatives all cooperated and I got to cook for the 3rd time this year.

Today I picked up a couple of packages of Perdue chicken wings and legs. I marinated them for one hour in: (Mix all ingredients in a blender set to puree)

1 Cup Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Corn Oil
1 Tablespoon Chopped Garlic
1/4 Cup Sherry
1/2 Cup Cider Vinegar
1/2 Cup White Wine Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Tumeric
1 Egg
2 Tablespoons Turbinado Sugar
1 Minced Onion

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/whitetrashbbq/Marinadesmall.jpg

I built a fire of Kingsford Charcoal, Cowbody Lump and some oak chips. I placed a pan of chicken stock in the middle of the fire. I basted the chicken one time with some of the marinade. I put the cover on the smoker and went inside.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/whitetrashbbq/Onthefiresmall.jpg

I took the marinade boiled it for 3 minutes to kill off any bad bacteria, removed it from the heat and added

1/2 Cup Light Corn Syrup
4 Heaping Tablespoons of Head Country Rub
12 Oz Dole Apple Juice
A few shots of Franks Hot Sauce
Salt and Pepper
And a little more Turbinado Sugar to finish it off.

This is now my mop and finishing sauce for the chicken. I let the chicken cook for about one hour, then mopped it for the first time. After about 3.5 hours it looked like this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/whitetrashbbq/3andhalfhourssmall.jpg
and
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/whitetrashbbq/undersidesmall.jpg

And the finished product

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/whitetrashbbq/finishedsmall.jpg

How did it taste? Good. Not great. It was sticky and gooey like a good Barbecue sauce. Sweet but not over powering. You could really taste the chicken. The wife and kids all said that they liked this better than the traditional sweet red barbeque sauce. The skin was tender and crispy. The meat, well, to me the legs were perfect, but the wings were over cooked. This wasn't competition quality barbecue to me. But remember, I am still on the quest!

parrothead
04-10-2005, 08:07 PM
Cowbody Lump and some oak chips.

What the fark is that?

The_Kapn
04-10-2005, 08:17 PM

What the fark is that?
Greg,
Rob ain't here at the moment- but I am betting a typo (PooBah Mod)--"Cowboy" lump would make more sense. I got a bag of that brand that I have been experimenting with for a year now.
Now, I know that since he is in NYC--and that dead bodies might be a NYC Metro Area "staple" for heat-- but I doubt Rob is "there" yet :lol: :lol:

Rob,
Good looking eats!
What are you cooking on?

TIM

Ron_L
04-10-2005, 08:27 PM
Rob... The chicken looks great, and the marinade sounds great! I wonder how a little curry would taste in the marinade?

BrooklynQ
04-10-2005, 09:42 PM

What the fark is that?
Greg,
Rob ain't here at the moment- but I am betting a typo (PooBah Mod)--"Cowboy" lump would make more sense. I got a bag of that brand that I have been experimenting with for a year now.
Now, I know that since he is in NYC--and that dead bodies might be a NYC Metro Area "staple" for heat-- but I doubt Rob is "there" yet :lol: :lol:

Rob,
Good looking eats!
What are you cooking on?

TIM

Cowbody lump - anyone see DFLITTLE today? :twisted: :wink:

Yeah, It was a typo - Cowboy brand lump charcoal.

Today I was cooking on a classic weber 22" kettle.

BrooklynQ
04-10-2005, 09:45 PM
Rob... The chicken looks great, and the marinade sounds great! I wonder how a little curry would taste in the marinade?

Thanks. I was wondering the same thing about using curry. I've been thinking about playing with some of the indian spices and yogurt. Something like tandoori chicken.

Bill-Chicago
04-10-2005, 09:58 PM
I spent my day at a farking dance recital.

81 degrees outside today.

I'm in a hot auditorium, some hick chick with a cooch that hasnt seen a dusche (sp) in 4 years behind us, with a farking brat ass kid kicking the chair.

Long Long Day

Call our favorite mexican carry out, farking closed.

Went to a new one, liked it more. El Famous Burrito Mod

That was my day

(dont know if this was on topic here, but the title of this thread says so)

Hoorenga
04-10-2005, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the great pictures. They are inspiring.

I spent Sunday morning driving down south of here to a Wal Mart that deals with a more rural population in hopes that they might have a Bandera but no luck. I took Big Al's advice and didn't ask the sales person but poked around on my own. I did find a Char-Grill Quick Set smoker http://www.charbroil.com/smokers/index.asp but it didn't look very interesting. It was $159.

chad
04-11-2005, 06:31 AM
Charbroil Quickset (mines under the New Braunfels name but the same cooker) - I've got one and have used it quite a bit. The chimney's in the right place (extended to the cook grate) and the only mods I did were a baffle and a quick charcoal basket. It's not a bad cooker, especially for the price.

Neil
04-11-2005, 08:14 AM
You won't find a bandera at Wallyworld anymore. They were discontinued last year and put on clearance. Academy Sports has them for $199

Arlin_MacRae
04-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Woke up hung over from a beer judging that went long, went out and bought meat and grub for a BBQ. Friends came over at 12:30 and we cooked three racks of baby backs, a package of boneless poke country-style ribs, two chubbies and a fatty. Ate like farking pigs, drank good Belgian brew, and schmoaked a coupla gars. Weather moved in, lightning so close it rang the phone a couple of times, rained about two inches. Twister missed us by 3 ½ miles. Went to bed. ;)

Brooklyn, I was looking at your first picture thinking, "Man, he's used curry." Now I must try it. I'll post results.

Arlin

BrooklynQ
04-11-2005, 05:42 PM
Weather moved in, lightning so close it rang the phone a couple of times,

Brooklyn, I was looking at your first picture thinking, "Man, he's used curry." Now I must try it. I'll post results.

Arlin

Nope, no curry. All the ingredients are listed there. I'm really surprised no one's commented on the egg.

But, I have a question for you. Can lightning really make a phone ring? Never experienced that.

BigAl
04-11-2005, 05:57 PM
My smoke detectors all went off last summer when a bad as$ lightning storm was overhead. It also took out the dog fence, one TV and a power pack for my Broadband. So it could induce enough voltage to make a phone ring.

Last year, every thing that was plugged into the AC outlets at my Pal's house was blown out and had to be replaced including his phones.

Chicken looks good!

Arlin_MacRae
04-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Nope, no curry. All the ingredients are listed there. I'm really surprised no one's commented on the egg.

But, I have a question for you. Can lightning really make a phone ring? Never experienced that.

Oh yeah, I mean it LOOKED like it had curry in it. That certain yellow....

Yep, I'm dead serious about the phone. My wife knows someone who was talking on the phone and lightning went through the lines, through her head, and killed her son next to her. She was fine....

If I remember my basic telephony, it only takes 96 volts to ring a phone.

417bullelk
04-12-2005, 01:43 AM
Got up in the AM...shoveled rock..then more rock...and more rock....

finally went to work, had to close a runway just before a pig push and arrival rush (I am sure the control tower loved that).....had a BIG chunk of concrete come loose near the runway centerline. In the middle of the repair, we were lucky enough to have an entire swarm of bees move in and make a temporary home in the rear wheel well of the contractors truck. Had hundreds of bees swarming until they finally settled down.

Fun Fun!!

racer_81
04-12-2005, 08:04 AM
You got pigs on your runways?

jt
04-12-2005, 08:07 AM
You got pigs on your runways?
And they need a push

chad
04-12-2005, 09:24 AM
I'm really surprised no one's commented on the egg.

The egg acts as an emulifier! I have a recipe with an egg in it, too. I did the research on the history of that sauce and found out why -- emulsifier.

This next part is a JOKE so don't think I'm busting Rob's chops (well, actually I am but I don't want you buttheads to think it's not in love! :twisted:)

If I wanted green chicken I'd just go to the local KFC and ask to sweep under their storage shelves in the cooler! :D Chicken on the floor for a week or so in a walk-in cooler looks just about that color green! :twisted:

Actually the recipe sound good - I'm just curious why it took 3.5 hours to cook on a kettle? Did you cook it open (as a grill) or did you close it up? I see you're using charcoal rails and so it was "indirect". Inqiring minds (and feeble ones) want to know. :D

BrooklynQ
04-12-2005, 09:54 AM
It only looks green in the second pic. Should have used the flash. Bad photography. It was always very yellow. It was cooked in a closed kettle, but over a very low heat. Only about 20 brikettes. Why 3.5 - 4 hours? It wouldn't brown at all. If you look at the close up pic, you can see how yellow the chicken still was. It was cooked, but the skin had no texture to it at all.

chad
04-12-2005, 10:02 AM
OK. I usually cook my 'que chicken about 3 hours - that's why I was asking. I can see that the low temp didn't let the skin finish up - gotta have a little heat or the skin get rubbery - don't ask how I know this! :D

parrothead
04-12-2005, 10:05 AM
Dave, how do you know this?

chad
04-12-2005, 10:10 AM

I've got plenty of room on my *******s list for another Illinois member. :D

Jorge
04-12-2005, 10:14 AM

I thought our feathered friend was on topic and asked a legit question.... :D

chad
04-12-2005, 10:30 AM

I thought our feathered friend was on topic and asked a legit question.... :D

Well, that's what you get for thinking! :twisted:

If you must know: low and slow, especially with marinaded and/or brined chicken is a guarantee of rubbery chicken skin. You must put some heat to the chicken to dry out (render the fat) and crisp up the skin.

parrothead
04-12-2005, 11:39 AM
We know, Dave. Just poking you with a stick.

chad
04-12-2005, 12:01 PM

I know! :D

racer_81
04-12-2005, 12:05 PM

That's why I like this group. Needling and poking and schitt-stirring goes on and I don't get blamed for it.

<sigh>

brdbbq
04-12-2005, 12:55 PM

I know! :D

Parothead is poking Chad.