PDA

View Full Version : Gas grill mod????

scottm4300
04-09-2005, 07:30 PM
I have a basic, run of the mill Charbroil gas grill. Two heat controls - left and right. I'm wondering what happens if I take a cast iron pan and load it with wood chips, set it on the cooking grate and fire up that side of the grill only, Could I put a piece of meat on the other side of the grill and effectively smoke it? Anybody ever tried something like this.

I've got a bead on a BSKD, but it's gonna be while before I can get it. In the meantime, I thought I might give this method a try.

Waste of time, wood chips and meat? Or worth a shot?

Thanks!

biggyboy
04-09-2005, 07:35 PM
That's what I used to do until I got my offset smoker, it works just not a good as a wood burner.
But thats just my opinion.

chad
04-09-2005, 07:48 PM
You'd almost be better off to use the "foil packet" of chips mod. :D
To much smoke will not be a good thing. Just a whisp, even with a gas grill is all you really need -- keep the temps lower than usual and you'll be fine.

I was at WalMart today and they had a New Braunfels Quickset horizontal cooker on display -- I've got one and the only mods I've made are to add a 9" baffle where the firebox meets the smoke chamber (if I had it to do over I'd got 12 or more inches into the chamber) and I made a very simple "charcoal basket" by cutting and bending some Lowe's expanded metal into a basket shape to hold my Kindford. I use a base of Kingsford and then add pecan and/or oak chunks to keep things interesting.

Price is right but it's not a bandera or clone.

biggyboy
04-09-2005, 08:33 PM
The baffle in my NB goes half way into the cooking chamber

chad
04-09-2005, 08:35 PM
The baffle in my NB goes half way into the cooking chamber

:D That's my point! If I redo the baffle I'll extend it further into the chamber. Mine currently goes to about where the holes start in yours!!

Easy mod! The horizontals are easier to modify but they still don't have the capacity of the Bandera/Brinkmann/etc.

jgh1204
04-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Scott, before I got my GOSM smoker, I modified my Weber Silver to smoke brisket. I took out the flavorizer bars and put an expandable grid over the burners. At this lower level, I put a small cast iron skillet where I put my wood chunks.

I used only one of the grates which allowed access to the skillet for adding more wood.

To keep the temps at the right level, I usually had to prop the lid open some.

chad
04-09-2005, 11:00 PM
Translation:

GOSM: Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain :D

That sounds like a good mod. Thanks for sharing this.

jgh1204
04-09-2005, 11:10 PM
I turned out some great brisket on the weber, but not much room. I love my GOSM, I can do about 40 to 50 lbs of meat. If I decide I ever want to compete, I will have to get a wood burner.

chad
04-09-2005, 11:13 PM
If I decide I ever want to compete, I will have to get a wood burner.

No ****? I didn't know that! :twisted:

Sorry, I'm about **** faced and couldn't help myself!! Bill/Willkat98 defense!! :twisted:

chad
04-09-2005, 11:15 PM
The gassers and electric can put out some decent food! I've thought about getting a Bradley for doing small catering jobs. Electric burner and uses a seperate smoke generator. Under $350. :D