PDA

View Full Version : Spicewine fire basket

markbet
04-06-2005, 06:14 PM
I had talked to a couple bretren including Spicewine about the fire basket for a Bandera. But they were unsure about burning logs (approx. 12" length) in the basket, and if they would even work well enough to purchase one. If any have experience using it the way I will be, I would like to hear from you.

BBQchef33
04-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Why would you burn logs in a basket??? it wont buy you anything. Unless you mean a log on top of the charcoal?? think BigAl did that. I burned small splits and chunks in mine mixed in with the charcoal.

markbet
04-06-2005, 08:08 PM
Why would you burn logs in a basket??? it wont buy you anything. Unless you mean a log on top of the charcoal?? think BigAl did that. I burned small splits and chunks in mine mixed in with the charcoal.

Okay, that is what I was wanting to find out if it would work. I buy my wood by the rick, and it is cut in 12-14 inch lengths. I did not know if charcoal would be needed, I guess it would be, thank you for the info.

Bill-Chicago
04-06-2005, 08:09 PM

Okay, that is what I was wanting to find out if it would work. I buy my wood by the rick, and it is cut in 12-14 inch lengths. I did not know if charcoal would be needed, I guess it would be, thank you for the info.

Markbet
Welcome back!!

Havent seen you on it a while

Good to read you again

BAG3
04-06-2005, 10:06 PM
Okay, just how does the basket work? Do you fill it up with coal/charcoal and set it on fire or what? You guys havelost me. Could ask Brian but he is on the phone!!!

racer_81
04-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Okay, just how does the basket work? Do you fill it up with coal/charcoal and set it on fire or what? You guys havelost me. Could ask Brian but he is on the phone!!!

He's probably on a Rice-eaters Anonymous conference call........mod.

BBQchef33
04-06-2005, 11:33 PM
he was tawkin to ME....

Bag.. You fill the basket witha mixture of charcola and wood chunks and it gives you and extended 4-6 hour burn....

For those who want detailed information on the baskets, how they work, and testimonials use the search at the top of the forum. I just checked it out. Search on the term "basket" and hit the post in ascending order so you get the oldest first. There is a ton of information on the site, and all the different ways memebers used the baskets. It would be a disservice for me to just post my wayof using it when there are so many diferent ways. use the search and start form the beginning, there is a lot of good info. Big Al designed and started fabricating our baskets. They are now made by member "Spicewine" at spicewine ironworks.

racer_81
04-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Bag.. You fill the basket witha mixture of charcola and wood chunks and it gives you and extended 4-6 hour burn....

Charcola - the official cola of The Brethren.

All the caffeine of regular cola but with a special burning wood taste.

mmmmMMMmmmm goood!

jt
04-07-2005, 12:59 PM

Charcola - the official cola of The Brethren.

All the caffeine of regular cola but with a special burning wood taste.

mmmmMMMmmmm goood!
Is that what you brew with the drippings from a pellet-pooper?

BBQchef33
04-07-2005, 01:04 PM
yup.. it even listed as a new word.

Bigdog
04-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Charcola. Good one Stuby. Bound to be a classic. :P

BigAl
04-07-2005, 03:05 PM

Logs work great in a basket, remove the dividers and you are good to go, gives the same benefits of using charcoal execpt there is no self starting delay, lots of ash room, front and back basket plates help keep heat in fire box ,etc,etc,etc......

I designed the basket so that the stick burnners would also benefit from the basket and Yep, I use chunks mixed in with the charcoal when the brothers send me some in this Pine only part of the country. :D

Some guys like farking with the fire and that is fine with me. I am not and have never been a smoker (bought a pack of 20 when I went to school and when I graduated there were 14 left) and :? I don't like any smoke unless it is the flavor in my Q :D so I like to get the fire going and let it alone for 7-8 hrs.

markbet
04-07-2005, 03:17 PM

Logs work great in a basket, remove the dividers and you are good to go, gives the same benefits of using charcoal execpt there is no self starting delay, lots of ash room, front and back basket plates help keep heat in fire box ,etc,etc,etc......

I designed the basket so that the stick burnners would also benefit from the basket and Yep, I use chunks mixed in with the charcoal when the brothers send me some in this Pine only part of the country. :D

Some guys like farking with the fire and that is fine with me. I am not and have never been a smoker (bought a pack of 20 when I went to school and when I graduated there were 14 left) and :? I don't like any smoke unless it is the flavor in my Q :D so I like to get the fire going and let it alone for 7-8 hrs.

Thank you BigAl! That is the quality answer that I was looking for to answer my question. I shudda went to the origional source to begin with.
I will now order my LOG basket from Spicewine. Thanks again BigAl.

BBQchef33
04-07-2005, 10:44 PM
Thank you BigAl! That is the quality answer that I was looking for to answer my question. I shudda went to the origional source to begin with.

Markbet, aside from the chatter in this thread, is there something "wrong" with the other answers??. Being i was the only one that responded, it seems to me you are implying the answers were not of good 'quality'. Sorry you didnt get what you wanted. But for the benefits of the other members, I will continue anyway.

It is called a "charcoal basket" for a reason, not a log basket.

IMO, stacking the basket with logs, is no different than stacking the logs on the firegrate. As I stated before, i dont see it buying you anything for burning just logs. With charcoal or lump however, a basket slows the burn, it controls the pile and stops it from spilling into a flat pile of burning coal with increased airflow and burning too hot. By keeping the coals stacked, it slows the burn by limiting airflow.

But stacking logs in the basket and thinking you can go to sleep for 4 hours is taking a risk.

Focus on the real purpose of the basket being to extend unattended burn times. The basket usually runs extended periods- 4-6-8 hrs, with the dampers mostly closed. I would NOT want to run for an extended period, with nothing but unburned wood starting to ignite, with a closed damper. This most likly is going to lead to smouldering.. and white smoke. Leave the damper open and eventually, you will have a blazing fire.

This is less likely to happen with some lump or charcoal mixed in to aid in faster and cleaner ignition. Unbuned wood has impurities that will be released during a slow ignition, this will impart nasty flvors to the meat. Lump has these impurities burned out allready, it can ign ite slowly without the nasty flavors. Charcoal is somewhere in between. But slow smoldering ignition to just wood is by far the worst. To avoid that, you need airflow... and if your not there... you got a blaze.

So, IMO, the basket, yes will work with logs, but will NOT give you an unattended extended burn. You leave a basket full of logs alone for a few hours, with the dampers closed, you are coming back to white smoke and sooty food. On the other hand, leave it with the dampers OPEN, for an extended time, and you will be coming back to meat jerky ande peeled paint. You are not going to get the extended UNATTENDED burn you would with charcoal or lump. All you will have is a neatly burning log fire that still needs tending.

So back to my original crummy answer. A charcoal basket...it will not buy you anything for burning just logs.

In the water pan v. Sand pan discussions, we say "they call it a water pan for a reason".. well, they call it a "charcoal basket" for a reason.

Solidkick
04-08-2005, 07:17 AM
Being i was the only one that responded, it seems to me you are implying the answers were not of good 'quality'. Sorry you didnt get what you wanted. But for the benefits of the other members, I will continue anyway.

You wasn't the only one that responded........I had explained to Markbet in a PM that I had not used the charcoal basket for burning just logs, and suggested he put a post here to see if anyone had.
As I see it, Big Al was the only one that gave him the answer he was looking for, someone to justify his purchase.

Markbet.....good luck with your log burning basket, but hang onto the dividers...........

markbet
04-08-2005, 09:21 AM

Markbet, aside from the chatter in this thread, is there something "wrong" with the other answers??. Being i was the only one that responded, it seems to me you are implying the answers were not of good 'quality'. Sorry you didnt get what you wanted. But for the benefits of the other members, I will continue anyway.

It is called a "charcoal basket" for a reason, not a log basket.

IMO, stacking the basket with logs, is no different than stacking the logs on the firegrate. As I stated before, i dont see it buying you anything for burning just logs. With charcoal or lump however, a basket slows the burn, it controls the pile and stops it from spilling into a flat pile of burning coal with increased airflow and burning too hot. By keeping the coals stacked, it slows the burn by limiting airflow.

But stacking logs in the basket and thinking you can go to sleep for 4 hours is taking a risk.

Focus on the real purpose of the basket being to extend unattended burn times. The basket usually runs extended periods- 4-6-8 hrs, with the dampers mostly closed. I would NOT want to run for an extended period, with nothing but unburned wood starting to ignite, with a closed damper. This most likly is going to lead to smouldering.. and white smoke. Leave the damper open and eventually, you will have a blazing fire.

This is less likely to happen with some lump or charcoal mixed in to aid in faster and cleaner ignition. Unbuned wood has impurities that will be released during a slow ignition, this will impart nasty flvors to the meat. Lump has these impurities burned out allready, it can ign ite slowly without the nasty flavors. Charcoal is somewhere in between. But slow smoldering ignition to just wood is by far the worst. To avoid that, you need airflow... and if your not there... you got a blaze.

So, IMO, the basket, yes will work with logs, but will NOT give you an unattended extended burn. You leave a basket full of logs alone for a few hours, with the dampers closed, you are coming back to white smoke and sooty food. On the other hand, leave it with the dampers OPEN, for an extended time, and you will be coming back to meat jerky ande peeled paint. You are not going to get the extended UNATTENDED burn you would with charcoal or lump. All you will have is a neatly burning log fire that still needs tending.

So back to my original crummy answer. A charcoal basket...it will not buy you anything for burning just logs.

In the water pan v. Sand pan discussions, we say "they call it a water pan for a reason".. well, they call it a "charcoal basket" for a reason.

Phil...I was not implying there was anything wrong with your answer or anybody elses! Seems like you were implying that my asking the question in the first place was a stupid thing to be asking . All I did was ask a simple question about a product that is being sold on this site, and I wanted some good answers before I spent $88.00 on it. The answer that I got from BigAl was the one I was looking for, if you take offense to that...well I am sorry, but you are a big boy, and I am sure you will get over it. It is you that has said several times "that their is no stupid questions, ask away", so I did. You need to look at some of Al's adds on the basket, it is called "log/charcoal basket for sale". If I am not welcome to your site, then let me the fark know, and I will quit coming in!

BBQchef33
04-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Mark, Your question was completely legit. I didnt think it was stupid, never implyed or said it was and in fact, to the contrary, it is a question that others can benefit from. My answer was also meant to be legit, and not meant to be sarcastic in any way. It stated that burning logs would not buy you anything, That Al is the source for an answer to that, and that I only use it for chunks and lump. Later answers explain howd to get details answers within the site. It may have been brief becase there are times when I cannot go into longwinded detail responses, but it was legit and to the point. As the founder of this group, and someone representing us as a whole, it is rare, if ever that I will screw around in the Qtalk forum when it comes to responding to a members question. I apologize if it came across as glib or sarcastic. It was not meant to be that way all.

markbet
04-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Phil, Jorge was mostly correct, I read something into the post that was not there. So I then took that and over reacted and took my anguish out on you. I owe you an apology, and you have it. I have many regrets, and this is one of them. You, and all the other's have helped me emensly, and I turned around bit the hands who have helped me the most. Jorge was correct in saying that I have been through some bad times lately, but that is no excuse, personal problems are to be left at the door, and I failed to do that, and I am very sorry to subject you all to that. Please accept my applogy Phil, and to the rest of the brothers I may have offended.

Solidkick
04-08-2005, 04:42 PM
Phil, Jorge was mostly correct, I read something into the post that was not there. So I then took that and over reacted and took my anguish out on you. I owe you an apology, and you have it. I have many regrets, and this is one of them. You, and all the other's have helped me emensly, and I turned around bit the hands who have helped me the most. Jorge was correct in saying that I have been through some bad times lately, but that is no excuse, personal problems are to be left at the door, and I failed to do that, and I am very sorry to subject you all to that. Please accept my applogy Phil, and to the rest of the brothers I may have offended.

That, my friend, was very nice........

We're only here on this earth for a little while, which means our days of Q'n are limited. So let's take what we learn here and make the best damn Q we can!

Group Hug.........

spicewine
04-08-2005, 05:22 PM
Group Hug.........

KICK !!!! GET YOUR HAND OFF MY ARSE!!! That is not a group hug.

Michael Jackson Mod.

racer_81
04-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Will you two get a room......