PDA

View Full Version : The Wholly Moley Buscuit

Ashmont
08-04-2011, 03:34 PM
On a recent vacation at the lodge they serve these with breakfast. Very thick and dense. The way they have been serving them for 50 years..... Two is my limit or I cant walk until dinner...:shocked: I think they still use lard.... NTTAWWT....:cool:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/Ashmont_/IMG_2733.jpg

PatAttack
08-04-2011, 05:46 PM
My Grandmother used to make Lard biscuits. They were sooo good but if you ate three or more, you'd be comatose in no time. Not to mention the "belly expansion".

deguerre
08-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Still bet they're not as good as the biscuits and gravy I had at your house Ash.

Ashmont
08-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Still bet they're not as good as the biscuits and gravy I had at your house Ash.

Way different kinda biscuit! Not the same league.... Yes Grandma taught me about BnG's....I thank her for that!

Wampus
08-05-2011, 08:29 AM
I was just saying yesterday that I want to learn how to do scratch biscuits. THOSE are exactly what I had in mind!!!

There's a guy I know that made biscuits for our Cub Scout Campout a couple of years ago from his Grandma's recipe. He said there were like 3 ingredients. I think HE used shortening though.

BigButzBBQ
08-05-2011, 08:36 AM
For some reason, this has got me craving a batch of deep fried biscuits... :hungry:

Ashmont
08-05-2011, 08:38 AM
I was just saying yesterday that I want to learn how to do scratch biscuits. THOSE are exactly what I had in mind!!!

There's a guy I know that made biscuits for our Cub Scout Campout a couple of years ago from his Grandma's recipe. He said there were like 3 ingredients. I think HE used shortening though.

Google Lard Biscuit or Cat head Biscuit! There are lots of recipes...

landarc
08-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Mmmm, cat head biscuits, in a cast iron pan, with lard

gtr
08-05-2011, 10:11 AM
I've been rendering leaf lard & using it to make biscuits. Holy chit they're good. :thumb:
Definitely not for daily consumption though! :cop:

mlrhinehart
08-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Looks just like the ones my grandfather used to make... I miss those days.

Hoggy Style
08-05-2011, 10:55 AM
In the last couple months I have been on a baking kick, I knew nothing and always wanted to be able to make a good biscuit. I tried butter shortening and more recently I ordered some white lily self rising flour and made them with only heavy cream.

Might sound crazy but the biscuits with the self rising flour where outstanding, as a note you really need to use a soft self rise flour like the white lily and the fat in the heavy cream was enough to make these babies have a great flavor. They are different biscuit than the traditional butter or shortening biscuit but that sure do have a soft light texture.

I have not tried lard yet but now I know what's for breakfast Saturday morning!!!