PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi for ribs

Thomasljr80
08-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Hello I am a newbie here. I was at a party last weekend and they had some really good BBQ I got a chance to talk to the guys working and they put there ribs in a pan with pepsi in the bottom then cover with foil to let steam back in the fire. My question is has anybody heard of this and what docyou think?
Thanks Tom

bobaftt
08-04-2011, 11:37 AM
I think thats not barbecue. That sounds one step up from boiling ribs. Do a search for 3-2-1 I think thats how most here cook their ribs. Should be alot of discussion to learn from under that search.

Smiter Q
08-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Welcome Thomas,

Some use pepsi or coke in marinades or brines. There is phosphoric acid which acts like a meat tenderizer. I am sure the ribs you had tasted good, but sounds like it could be done in an oven just as easy.

ssbbqguy
08-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Was that step(panned and covered) done from the start or a finishing process? If done at the end they might have been wrapping in a pan. Some do that after getting initial flavor and look depending on volume. If they start that way, not what most here would want to eat. Welcome. Steve.

42BBQ
08-04-2011, 12:15 PM
I've sprayed butts with cherry Pepsi when I was out of AJ. turned out great.

Bacon_99
08-04-2011, 05:09 PM
I've marinaded meat in root beer before (which can be good) and cooked meat in a slow cooker with coke (also good) but if I want a smoke flavor of Q I leave the meat unwrapped in smoke. Like bobafft said - you could do that in an oven - bet it would be good - but wouldn't be q :wink:

parrdist
08-04-2011, 07:28 PM
I'm not sure but I think the guy might have killed a kitten.

Chef Jim
08-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Never Ever use Pepsi for anything! That company is anti American. If you want the facts send me a PM

NorCal Q Man
08-04-2011, 07:58 PM
i'm not sure but i think the guy might have killed a kitten.

lol!

Bacon_99
08-04-2011, 08:00 PM
I'm not sure but I think the guy might have killed a kitten.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

gambler
08-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Never Ever use Pepsi for anything! That company is anti American. If you want the facts send me a PM

Yeah, Pepsi is crap. It's what you drink when they don't serve Coke

GaryHouse
08-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Was that step(panned and covered) done from the start or a finishing process? If done at the end they might have been wrapping in a pan. Some do that after getting initial flavor and look depending on volume.

I'm curious also ....

Gary House
www.Cooking-Outdoors.com

ssbbqguy
08-04-2011, 09:31 PM
Curious? Some people cram a bunch of slabs into a pan after smoking some and add liquid , then cover, finish and hold. That liquid maybe was when they added the pepsi. Wrapping the pan instead of wrapping each slab. This is in high volume context. Pepsi seems sweeter to cook with, I drink Coca Cola. Steve.