PDA

View Full Version : At LAST, I have a venue for my new comp!!

Matt_A
08-03-2011, 06:35 PM
I just did a survey of the Cleveland County Fairgrounds in Norman, OK and i like the site. :clap2: I should have room for 40 teams all with water, 30 or 50 amp power and about 2/3 of the sites will have RV hookups. There is ample public parking, air conditioned judging room, and an extensive team and staff lounge where the cook's meeting and a catered dinner will be. During the rest of the comp teams and staff can go there to cool off, get refreshments and use indoor restrooms. The costs are negotiable since this will be a charity event. Now I gotta get to organizing a core committee to reduce my workload a bit.:shock:

I got a couple of things to nail down, like a contest name, logo, and the Governor's Proclaimation and some other details before I send my sanction request in to KCBS.

boogiesnap
08-03-2011, 07:07 PM
nice job. :thumb:

G$
08-04-2011, 08:31 AM
Nice job!

What is the fairgrounds position on alcohol? What is your contest position?

Matt_A
08-04-2011, 10:29 AM
The fairgrounds has no restriction on alcohol, they do charge a refundable $300 deposit for clean-up and mandate no glass containers. So if the drinkers don't leave a mess behind, that's $300 more that can go to the Food Bank ($300 = 2100 meals)

As far as contest position... what specifically are you asking? I'm the event creator/chair/organizer, if that's what you mean.

Matt_A
08-04-2011, 10:31 AM
The Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma is now on board with the event. We will be working together to promote the event through their advertising channels, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Their volunteer coordinator will assist in setting up a network of volunteers to work at the event as well. Once I get the contest website set up they will provide me with links and also a text number to donate $$ directly to them that will be credited toward the contest.

G$
08-04-2011, 12:02 PM
The fairgrounds has no restriction on alcohol, they do charge a refundable $300 deposit for clean-up and mandate no glass containers. So if the drinkers don't leave a mess behind, that's $300 more that can go to the Food Bank ($300 = 2100 meals)

As far as contest position... what specifically are you asking? I'm the event creator/chair/organizer, if that's what you mean.

Thanks, I just meant what the competition (and venue) positions were on alcohol. You answered em. Good luck.

redneck cooker
08-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Matt, when it this gonna take place, would like to schedule it...Thanks

Matt_A
08-04-2011, 11:58 PM
Matt, when it this gonna take place, would like to schedule it...Thanks

I'm holding the comp on Fri July 6th, and Sat. July 7th.

I have to talk with the Cleveland County Health Department before I can go ahead with the other non-KCBS side competitions like Backyard BBQ, etc. I am getting the KCBS sanction paperwork filled out and my friend in the State Legislature will petition the Governor for a State Championship proclamation.

Matt_A
08-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Thanks, I just meant what the competition (and venue) positions were on alcohol. You answered em. Good luck.

Alcohol consumption must be within reason and good behavior is required, as are Red Solo Cups (look in your team swag bag.) :wink: