PDA

View Full Version : looking for a good rub

soapy_junk
08-03-2011, 01:58 PM
i am looking for a good rub.. either home made or purchased doesn't matter to me.. although home made would be cool..

i plan to use it mostly on pork butts and brisket.. was hoping to use it for both

PatAttack
08-03-2011, 02:12 PM
i am looking for a good rub.. either home made or purchased doesn't matter to me.. although home made would be cool..

i plan to use it mostly on pork butts and brisket.. was hoping to use it for both

I just got my order from Simply Marvelous yesterday and can't wait to try them out! Also got a shaker of Plowboy's Yardbird Rub. Forgot to get the Sweet Seduction from SM, though.:roll: Will be getting some very soon!

Everyone has great things to say about SM's Rubs!

Thanks again for the quick shipping and looking out for a fellow Brethren, Steph!!:thumb:

nexpress
08-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub is awesome. Goes good on anything.

Pappy
08-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub is awesome. Goes good on anything.

I've got to get me some of that. ^

fat_bastard
08-03-2011, 02:57 PM
I use Chef Paul's Honey BBQ rub for pork and turkey. Haven't tried it for beef yet. I like beef to be more salty than sweet.

1FUNVET
08-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Use the Google search at the bottom of the page.Enter foil hat rub.Awesome recipe for a home made rub from bigabyte :thumb::thumb:

deguerre
08-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Foil_Hat_Rub (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103989)

^ Just click.:becky:

mrfusion
08-03-2011, 06:45 PM
I just got some of the Yardbird rub and used it last night. Big thumbs up from the whole family.

captndan
08-04-2011, 07:37 AM
I make my own never have bought any. It's a modified K.C style that I use to make ENC pulled pork. I have been told I make the best PP in Eastern Tennessee. I'll be glad to share the recipe.

chomper's bbq
08-04-2011, 08:33 AM
I'd love to try your rub recipe please forward it. Thanks in advance

tony69
08-04-2011, 09:27 AM
"looking for a good rub" Aren't we all?? :laugh: I tend to make my own as well. Kind of a mixture of onion salt, garlic powder & some minced, cinnamon, kosher salt, paprika, oregano, curry, cayenne, cumin, a bit of lowry's type seasoning & for extra heat I sometimes use something called "Slap yo Momma" a cajun-based hot as hell seasoning. Just my $.02 Also some sugar. I'm sure I could have missed something, but I'm just going off the top of my head. I kinda just start mixing stuff together & see what it tastes like. Funny how some of them taste so much better after a few beers!!

Pappy
08-04-2011, 08:07 PM
I make my own never have bought any. It's a modified K.C style that I use to make ENC pulled pork. I have been told I make the best PP in Eastern Tennessee. I'll be glad to share the recipe.

I would like to have the best PP in Eastern Tennessee recipe.
Please share.

jsperk
08-04-2011, 08:26 PM
I recently tried Todds dirt. That will be one I keep on hand along with Texas bbq rubs. I have to try The Rub co. and Simply Marvelous yet.

GaryHouse
08-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Oakridge BBQ has IMHO some mighty fine rubs. They also offer sampler packs for a penny!

~ ONE PENNY SAMPLE 5-PACK ~

1 Penny Ultimate Combo Sample Pack - Includes All 5 Rub Varieties! That's over 7 Ounces of Rub for one penny! (plus $3.74 for shipping) - $3.75

www.oakridgebbq.com

Gary House
www.Cooking-Outdoors.com

Tom Dean
08-04-2011, 08:43 PM
I use all dried green spices, thyme, oregano, basil, marjoram, sage, ...
in equal quantities plus salt and pepper to taste.

I have a mini-blender used only for dry things. Blend until medium to fine.

I ordered a sampler pack from Dizzy Pig - so far nothing I don't want more of.

Chezmatt
08-04-2011, 09:49 PM
I like to make my own, although after hearing the reviews on here, I may start trying some of the rubs mentioned above.

For pork, I go with:
3 parts kosher salt
3 parts paprika
2 parts brown sugar
1 part mustard powder
1 part garlic powder

For brisket, I like to go with:
1 part kosher salt
1 part brown sugar
1 part paprika
1 part chili powder
1/2 part white pepper (if you really like that pepper flavor, substitute black pepper)

Smoothsmoke
08-04-2011, 10:03 PM
The Rub Co
Big Rons
Simply Marvelous

(in no particular order)

Plowboy
08-04-2011, 10:04 PM
I like to make my own, although after hearing the reviews on here, I may start trying some of the rubs mentioned above.

For pork, I go with:
3 parts kosher salt
3 parts paprika
2 parts brown sugar
1 part mustard powder
1 part garlic powder

For brisket, I like to go with:
1 part kosher salt
1 part brown sugar
1 part paprika
1 part chili powder
1/2 part white pepper (if you really like that pepper flavor, substitute black pepper)

That pork rub sounds good.

Add some garlic and oregano to your brisket rub.

Chopjaw
08-04-2011, 10:23 PM
This was my go to rub for a couple of months until I got board of it..

1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup chili powder (i like hot chili powder)
3 tbsp. salt
2 tbsp. ground coriander
2 tbsp. garlic powder
3 tbsp. sugar
3 tbsp. brown sgr
2 tbsp. curry powder
2 tbsp. hot dry mustard
1 tbsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. dried basil
1 tbsp. dried thyme
1 tbsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. cayenne pepper
1 tbsp. black pepper

Hope you try it. Enjoy.

IamMadMan
08-04-2011, 10:53 PM
I too have been looking for a good rub recipe. I don't buy the small jars so buying rub in bulk is a tough task.

I buy 10 lb or 5 lb packages and put into 32 oz Shaker Top Containers, but you have to be carefull as some rubs are almost all salt.

It's hard to find someone who prepares a rub that cares about the end product as much as you do. Most retailers are looking for the money, but not all.

american spice has an acceptable rub, but they are overpriced.

I am open for any suggestions for bulk purchases or for a recipe to try if captndan wishes to share his.

mykz26
08-05-2011, 12:16 AM
Rub Co., Yardbird, and Oakridge rubs are my favorite.

Big Sexy
08-05-2011, 06:48 AM
Oakridge BBQ has IMHO some mighty fine rubs. They also offer sampler packs for a penny!

~ ONE PENNY SAMPLE 5-PACK ~

1 Penny Ultimate Combo Sample Pack - Includes All 5 Rub Varieties! That's over 7 Ounces of Rub for one penny! (plus $3.74 for shipping) - $3.75

Just placed an order.
$3.75 for 5 samples, how could I not :becky:

smokeyw
08-05-2011, 07:04 AM
Those are all herbs, not spices :rolleyes:

I use all dried green spices, thyme, oregano, basil, marjoram, sage, ...

thomasjurisd
08-05-2011, 09:21 AM
I like Tex Joy Special BBQ Seasoning. But I'm simple.

mlrhinehart
08-05-2011, 10:30 AM
I personally like to use Bad Byron's Butt Rub. Has a spicy sweet flavor to it and everyone in my family simply loves it.

tamadrummer
08-05-2011, 10:48 AM
If I may interject here, I just made some lower quality "petite sirloin" kind of like a chuck eye sliced in 1/2" thick cuts on my smoky joe with cowboy brand lump and 1 hand full of apple wood chips, indirect cook "reverse sear" style.

The rub is a 2 part to 1 part McCormick grill mates steak rub and sweet n smoky

2 tablespoons steak
1 tablespoon sweet n smoky

WOW WOW WOW what awesome flavor!

(If I knew how to take pics, and do anything with them but look at them on paper, I would post pics but I am tech ignint....:doh: )

Will32Rod
08-05-2011, 11:07 AM
1 Texas BBQ Rub- Wild & Grand Champion
2 Plowboys- Yardbird

Big Ron
08-05-2011, 11:50 AM
I too have been looking for a good rub recipe. I don't buy the small jars so buying rub in bulk is a tough task.

I buy 10 lb or 5 lb packages and put into 32 oz Shaker Top Containers, but you have to be carefull as some rubs are almost all salt.

It's hard to find someone who prepares a rub that cares about the end product as much as you do. Most retailers are looking for the money, but not all.

I am open for any suggestions for bulk purchases or for a recipe to try if captndan wishes to share his.

Contact me at [email protected] if you buy in bulk I can assist and have 20mg per 1 tsp serving for sodium content. Thanks Big Ron

kcmike
08-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Just placed an order.
$3.75 for 5 samples, how could I not :becky:

Thanks Big Sexy. Your order just shipped out. :thumb: :becky:

tamadrummer
08-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Thanks Big Sexy. Your order just shipped out. :thumb: :becky:

I put in an order for 3 sets. I plan to pass them out to family and see how they like them as well. I am the poorest in the fam, the rest are big time in their fields and I would like to drive some business in to the brethren if possible!

aquablue22
08-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Simply Marvelous has become my go to stuff, Steph makes some of the best rubs I've ever used. His flavor are not centered around the standard Bar B Que type flavors, but more like sweet, spicy, deep flavors you really wouldn't expect. I use all of his rubs on everything. We really like his Cherry on Popcorn! Get some you'll like it!

kcmike
08-06-2011, 01:42 PM

Bob, I've tried to reply to your PM, but your inbox/sentbox must be full. Please shoot me an email ([email protected] (mailto:[email protected])) at your leisure.

Thanks.

lfurl43142
08-06-2011, 02:14 PM
A licensed massage therapist will be at my house in an hour. that is the best rub I have found out there. Home made is always a good option when you want to play with ingredients.

bigsapper
08-06-2011, 03:06 PM
This was my go to rub for a couple of months until I got board of it..

1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup chili powder (i like hot chili powder)
3 tbsp. salt
2 tbsp. ground coriander
2 tbsp. garlic powder
3 tbsp. sugar
3 tbsp. brown sgr
2 tbsp. curry powder
2 tbsp. hot dry mustard
1 tbsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. dried basil
1 tbsp. dried thyme
1 tbsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. cayenne pepper
1 tbsp. black pepper

Hope you try it. Enjoy.

That looks like a recipe worth trying, but dog, with that much paprika, do you have a special type/brand you prefer?

PatioDaddio
08-06-2011, 03:54 PM
I highly recommend Kosmo's Q, Oakridge BBQ's Secret Weapon,
and Draper's AP rub.

John

PatioDaddio
08-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Oh, and here's (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96878) my all-purpose rub recipe.

John

El Ropo
08-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Kosher salt, fresh ground 4 color peppercorns, granulated garlic.

Then add whatever you feel like after that, it'll always be a great base. I go very easy on the salt BTW, just a tad.

Pappy
08-07-2011, 06:02 AM
Do they make a spice that will give the rub a cherry flavoring?

jestridge
08-07-2011, 06:27 AM
Lawery seasoning been using it for years it also cheap. Use salt/pepper on beef. McCormick pork rub on ribs. Most rub have the same thing in them , some just have a fancy name

Plowboy
08-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Most rub have the same thing in them , some just have a fancy name

Yawn.

Is that why they DON'T all taste the same? :crazy:

jestridge
08-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Apparentyly Lawerys is doing a good job ,they sure sell a lot.

Smoothsmoke
08-07-2011, 07:00 PM
http://www.q45.org/cpg/albums/userpics/10001/thumb_MichealJacksonPopcorn.gif

TangSooDoMan
08-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Texas BBQ makes some fantastic rubs.

Plowboy
08-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Apparentyly Lawerys is doing a good job ,they sure sell a lot.

Yes they do. Your point is? Wait. Let me guess. Everything has the same ingredients as Lawry's so they all must taste like Lawry's.

tamadrummer
08-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Yes they do. Your point is? Wait. Let me guess. Everything has the same ingredients as Lawry's so they all must taste like Lawry's.

There are a great number of people that truly cannot tell the difference in taste and you could serve them a $100 cut of kobe porterhouse or a non-graded lower than canner grader and they would be tickled with it because they got a heck of deal.

Its a waste of time to go round and round.

The next time I am on my way to my mom's and I am driving through Sebring, I will be buying some Plowboy's rubs.

I am just now learning the difference myself so while I don't understand how someone would argue with a purveyor of all things spice, but you know there is one in every crowd. :boxing:

captndan
08-08-2011, 07:18 AM
Good point. A rub, any rub, is a preferred taste thing. A rub cannot make up the difference for lesser quality meat or poor technique.

jestridge
08-08-2011, 01:00 PM
There are a great number of people that truly cannot tell the difference in taste and you could serve them a $100 cut of kobe porterhouse or a non-graded lower than canner grader and they would be tickled with it because they got a heck of deal.

Its a waste of time to go round and round.

The next time I am on my way to my mom's and I am driving through Sebring, I will be buying some Plowboy's rubs.

I am just now learning the difference myself so while I don't understand how someone would argue with a purveyor of all things spice, but you know there is one in every crowd. :boxing:

Well I smoke a lot of meat and use a lot of different rubs and it about all the same , But some of you so call bbq expert will talk about different rub and sauces and then cook your food on gas or some of those square little charcoal thingy and throw in a couple of pieces of wood and called it wood smoke and then tell people you have experience taste buds

jestridge
08-08-2011, 01:03 PM
BTW if you know how to q you can take a cheap cut of meat and make it taste like a Kobe beef.

big brother smoke
08-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Well I smoke a lot of meat and use a lot of different rubs and it about all the same , But some of you so call bbq expert will talk about different rub and sauces and then cook your food on gas or some of those square little charcoal thingy and throw in a couple of pieces of wood and called it wood smoke and then tell people you have experience taste buds

BTW if you know how to q you can take a cheap cut of meat and make it taste like a Kobe beef.

Wow? Your posts in this thread are condescending, no? Why must you be so negative?

I wish you wellness!

Plowboy
08-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Yawn.

gtr
08-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Anybody else notice that "looking for a good rub" by "soapy junk" looks a little like one of them personals ads? :heh:

anyhoo, you've heard already...SM, Plowboys, Rub Co., Tasty Licks - all good stuff (& still sounds a little like one of them personals ads). For beef, however, I find myself sticking more to sea salt & cracked black pepper.