PDA

View Full Version : What happens after the competition,

Chopjaw
08-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Let's say you're going to do a whole hog, once the compition is over what do you do with all the meat?

The reason I'm asking is the Wife and I were watching BBQ Pitmasters and she said, "I wonder what they do with all the leftovers?" I said they prolly eat it but after thinking about it, that's allot of leftovers...

Thanks.

watg?
08-02-2011, 07:51 PM
take it home and freeze it or give it away, one thing is for certain, we dont eat it on site, at that point in a contest, we dont want anything to do with que.:)

rookiedad
08-02-2011, 08:24 PM
BotBB has always gathered extra food and accepted donations for Island Harvest (i think that's the name, ain't it?) and Hudson Valley Ribfest collects extras for a local food kitchen. i think it's important to make sure good food is not going to waste and i think it is also important for us all to realise how lucky we are to live in a place where so much of an excess of food exists that we can have fun cooking it.

Lake Dogs
08-03-2011, 07:28 AM
When cooking larger quantities of meat (like in MBN for example) we'll have friends and family come in afterwards and graze and help pull the remainder of the meats. We'll bag it up and take some home ourselves but most of it is given away. For KCBS there's not nearly the amount of leftovers. Usually we'll just pull it, bag it, and divy up the freezer bags...

Sauced!
08-03-2011, 09:07 AM
We divy up the food in vacuum sealed bags and I sell the leftovers at work on Monday. Helps offset some of the contest costs.

Ashmont
08-03-2011, 09:11 AM
^^^^ There is a line on Mondays in our Galley kerfee area when co-workers know I am competing or catering over the weekend and i sell it.They Just got Brats yesterday. I do save some for the family but when we have alot of events BBq is the last thing we want to eat all week.

Matt_A
08-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Here's a thought. How do you think teams would respond if they were asked to cook an extra brisket or two to be taken to the local shelters? I think I could get a local store to donate the meat.

Lake Dogs
08-03-2011, 01:38 PM
I dont think too many teams would mind. Some may have extra-capacity issues. You may find it easier and goes farther by having them donate & cook pork butts...

Matt_A
08-03-2011, 01:40 PM
I could give them a choice of pork or beef; that way they could decide for themselves when looking at capacity.

applequeen5
08-03-2011, 01:46 PM
As Phil said, the Hudson Valley Ribfest asks teams to donate "extra" meats at the end of the KCBS comp. We have a rep from the nearby Queens Galley that serves thousands of meals per month to needy families. The Director says that last year they served three meals from our teams' generosity...and the word got out quickly that there was 'que on the menu! Lots of happy people. Stephanie, for Ribfest

jbrink01
08-03-2011, 05:13 PM
I drop it off on Monday at one of my sponsors.

ssbbqguy
08-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Jeff has listed the method I use. It shows that we wish they were there and appreciate their help. They also can be very honest critics. That will help you if you're trying new things. THANKS to the sponsors out there, not only mine, but to all. When the volume is high, the local shelters is where we call. Steve.