PDA

View Full Version : So... did Slap Yo Dady compete this week?

Matt_A
08-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Anybody heard anything?:confused:

WineMaster
08-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Really........

Sledneck
08-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Who?

Scottie
My guess is he didnt win. Or we would of heard about it by now. Maybe someone frombthe PNWBA can answerm

riblette
Anybody heard anything?:confused:

Thunder Mountain BBQ in Longview, Washingtion
16 Teams

Home On The Range - GC
Big Daddy’s - RC.

SYD - 8th Overall

pork - 1st,
chicken - 2nd,
ribs - 8th,
brisket - 16th (DQ)

huminie
08-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Foil in the box is the "rumor" I heard for the briskie DQ.

ique
08-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Wow :shocked:

Thunder Mountain BBQ in Longview, Washingtion
16 Teams

Home On The Range - GC
Big Daddy’s - RC.

SYD - 8th Overall

pork - 1st,
chicken - 2nd,
ribs - 8th,
brisket - 16th (DQ)

goodbuddiesbbq
08-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Sounds like he had a real shot at it...that's nuts.

Sledneck
08-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Yawn

Smokedelic
08-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Sounds like he had a real shot at it...that's nuts.
...or Karma.

Groundhog66
08-01-2011, 02:05 PM
I think one of the haters flew out and planted the foil in the box, there can be no other explanation :cool:

Plowboy
08-01-2011, 02:10 PM
I hope it was more than a speck of foil. I think that "spec" rule is the stupidest thing in the world.

monty3777
08-01-2011, 02:14 PM
I'm gonna say it. You have to respect a guy who can stay in the hunt, every hunt. I don't know all the back story, and I don't want to know. But that guy deserves some respect, at least for what he turns in. I'm rooting for him.

deepsouth
08-01-2011, 02:15 PM
i must have missed the fuss, but this guy sure seems like an underdog (so to speak) and i'll always pull for an underdog.

Andrews
08-01-2011, 02:18 PM
I'm gonna say it. You have to respect a guy who can stay in the hunt, every hunt. I don't know all the back story, and I don't want to know. But that guy deserves some respect, at least for what he turns in. I'm rooting for him.

I'm rooting for Harry too, It's funny how the haters actually clicked on a thread titled "did SYD compete this week" just to show some love...

redneck cooker
08-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Speck of foil? ...you gotta be kiddin...:doh:...surely not...

glenntm
08-01-2011, 02:27 PM
I guess that means he'll be in Vista, CA next weekend at the 3rd Annual Vista Smokin' Q Classic. That's a local event for him.

huminie
08-01-2011, 03:06 PM
I guess that means he'll be in Vista, CA next weekend at the 3rd Annual Vista Smokin' Q Classic. That's a local event for him.

I expect to see him there! :boxing:

huminie
08-01-2011, 03:11 PM
I will root for Harry all month long...with the exception of Vista this weekend and Lakeport Aug 27. I will do everything in my power to stop him (and everyone else) at those 2 contests. Don't know if I will be successful, but we will be trying to win! :-D

huminie
08-01-2011, 03:51 PM
I hope it was more than a speck of foil. I think that "spec" rule is the stupidest thing in the world.

Here is your "spec":

http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/IMAG3252.jpg

Rub
08-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Wow :shock:

huminie
08-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Can you imagine traveling 1,000 miles, begging and borrowing gear to compete, and have it all come crashing down due to that grain of foil? He still finished middle of the pack with the DQ since PNWBA requires all judges give a 1 on appears for foreign object, but the rest of the categories still stand.

redneck cooker
08-01-2011, 04:38 PM
:shocked:..thats ridiculous...

Rich Parker
08-01-2011, 05:23 PM

I think the judges should suck it up and just swallow it or pick it off.

ModelMaker
08-01-2011, 05:43 PM
If it's big enough to decide it's foil...then it's foil.
Ed
Rich, you eat it. If your piece of hair is only 1/4" long does that mean it's not a full piece of hair so just eat it?

Rich Parker
08-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Ed
Rich, you eat it. If your piece of hair is only 1/4" long does that mean it's not a full piece of hair so just eat it?

You are comparing apples to oranges. My first comp judging i seen a team get DQ'ed for a spec of foil that was so small that i wouldn't even say with 100% certainty it was foil. If i noticed something i pick it off and toss it and no i am not talking about hair....gross.

sitnfat
08-01-2011, 06:17 PM
I just wish I could find a first year contest with 16 teams :rolleyes:

Plowboy
08-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Complete crap!!! There's a difference between a sheet of foil, a forgotten toothpick, and a spec of foil. The foreign object rule is not about finding a grain of sand and tossing the team out. It has been taken too far.

Not only should the DQ'd team feel bad, but let's assume the team had a better than average brisket. No offense here, but the GC probably wasn't the best team of the day. Kind of like getting your ass kicked in the 100m dash but winning because the guy's pinky toe touched the line. Doesn't change that he kicked your ass. Terrible way to win, IMHO. YMMV.

I'd love to see KCBS put some common sense BACK in this rule.

Plowboy
08-01-2011, 06:37 PM

Wish I could find some under 36 teams.

Matt_A
08-01-2011, 06:41 PM
I will root for Harry all month long...with the exception of Vista this weekend and Lakeport Aug 27. I will do everything in my power to stop him (and everyone else) at those 2 contests. Don't know if I will be successful, but we will be trying to win! :-D

IMHO, going to an event with the intent to LOSE is a non-starter!! Go get 'em!! Always nice to see brethren bring home the bacon.... :tsk: ugh, did I actually say that??? Sorry about that, got a bit carried away! :-P

Matt_A
08-01-2011, 06:42 PM
But do we KNOW it was a foreign object?

Matt_A
08-01-2011, 06:45 PM
http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/IMAG3252-300x179.jpg
From Harry's blog.

ique
08-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Gotta disagree Todd. First I dont think this was a KCBS contest but rules are rules. Grey lines don't work well in a rulebook. Exactly what size piece of aluminum is OK? Or, I was only 2 seconds late at the turn in window so what...? Everything needs to be as black and white as possible. No aluminum is a clear rule.

Break the rules (even an unintentional mistake) and you don't get the privilege to lay claim to best team of the day.

Its unbelievable that after all this drama, THAT happened at the next contest.

Complete crap!!!

Not only should the DQ'd team feel bad, but let's assume the team had a better than average brisket. No offense here, but the GC probably wasn't the best team of the day. Kind of like getting your ass kicked in the 100m dash but winning because the guy's pinky toe touched the line. Doesn't change that he kicked your ass. Terrible way to win, IMHO. YMMV.

I'd love to see KCBS put some common sense BACK in this rule.

Plowboy
08-01-2011, 06:49 PM
But do we KNOW it was a foreign object?

What do you think it is? Brisket?

yelonutz
08-01-2011, 06:53 PM
I can just imagine the outcry from the Harry haters if a judge were to get caught picking off any foreign material and thereby giving Harry (or anybody else) his eighth win and entry into the Jack. The Harry haters would go crazy and the judge would be hung by his NUTZ sack.

NUTZ

ique
08-01-2011, 06:54 PM

The flight from TN was probably not much different in cost than Harrys flight from CA.

Those of us in regions that still have some 15 team contests welcome all you bottom feeders to come on up. I got loaner equipment for you, :-P

Seriously though, cooking on borrowed equipment and last minute procured meats is definitely very challenging.

Matt_A
08-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Harry's blog entry for the contest doesn't show any hint of whining. It sounds like he had pretty good time there despite the DQ, Harry used loaner equipment and did 1st in pork, 2nd in chicken & 8th in ribs...

Rookie'48
08-01-2011, 06:55 PM
I think the judges should suck it up and just swallow it or pick it off.

Rich, I'm going to dissagree on that. If it's a violation of the rules (and it is) then it should be reported to the Rep for a DQ.

Now, having said that, I do think that this rule is just about as assinine as the parting of pork rule.

BUT - as long as it is the rule then I'm going to follow it wherever I judge.

boogiesnap
08-01-2011, 06:57 PM
how does he have a pic of it on his cutting board?

Sledneck
08-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Foil hurts my teeth

Sledneck
08-01-2011, 06:58 PM
how does he have a pic of it on his cutting board?

They return you box on a dq

Plowboy
08-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Gotta disagree Todd. First I dont think this was a KCBS contest but rules are rules. Grey lines don't work well in a rulebook. Exactly what size piece of aluminum is OK? Or, I was only 2 seconds late at the turn in window so what...? Everything needs to be as black and white as possible. No aluminum is a clear rule.

Break the rules (even an unintentional mistake) and you don't get the privilege to lay claim to best team of the day.

Its unbelievable that after all this drama, THAT happened at the next contest.

Yes, I missed that this was PNWBA, but the same rule exists in KCBS and is equally ridiculous in both bodies.

I disagree and see foreign objects different from the timeclock. I know that there are people who see things as only 100% black and white, but the reality is that we have rules today that won't fit that goal. What's marking? What's sculpting? What's a pork butt? (That's a joke.) A spec that got pushed into the center of my brisket is beyond the control of the cook and is ridiculous. Why not give it a dimension? Rules state how chunky a chunky sauce can be. If you want black and white, then problems solved, but let's not toss a cook out because of a spec.

First time I ever was table captain, I opened the first chicken box and there was a full sheet of foil. :shock:

boogiesnap
08-01-2011, 07:06 PM
that would make sense.

but, didn't i read it still gets judged in pwnba, but gets 1's in appearance?

Plowboy
08-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Rich, I'm going to dissagree on that. If it's a violation of the rules (and it is) then it should be reported to the Rep for a DQ.

Now, having said that, I do think that this rule is just about as assinine as the parting of pork rule.

BUT - as long as it is the rule then I'm going to follow it wherever I judge.

Agree 100% that a rule is a rule. Also on the assinine part.

Plowboy
08-01-2011, 07:07 PM
that would make sense.

but, didn't i read it still gets judged in pwnba, but gets 1's in appearance?

But you are pretty much F'd at that point. Might as well not score it.

Plowboy
08-01-2011, 07:10 PM
The flight from TN was probably not much different in cost than Harrys flight from CA.

Those of us in regions that still have some 15 team contests welcome all you bottom feeders to come on up. I got loaner equipment for you, :-P

Seriously though, cooking on borrowed equipment and last minute procured meats is definitely very challenging.

There's no such thing as bottom feeding in NEBS land. Better bring your A game

landarc
08-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Todd, while the idea that a speck will DQ you and ruin a day of effort stinks, if it gets into your mouth, that is gonna leave a bad taste.

boogiesnap
08-01-2011, 07:17 PM
But you are pretty much F'd at that point. Might as well not score it.

agreed. but how could the box be returned and still judged?

or did i read something wrong?

Smoke'n Ice
08-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Spoke with folks in the PNWBA and there were two (2) chunks of point (they don't consider them burnt ends) which had foil on them, one is excusable, two is stupid. They were returned to Harry, hence the picture on his cutting board. Looking at the taste and texture scores, it was possible he could have been RGC without the DQ but not probable. You have got to understand that cooking in the Northwest is not "bottom feeding." There are some excellent cooks (one that comes to mind is Jim Minion) and the GC, Paul cooked out of TN for a while before he moved back to WA. This is also where I started cooking.

Bbq Bubba
08-01-2011, 07:29 PM
Thats not foil, THIS is foil...

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/8348/0705silverlgvt0.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/0705silverlgvt0.jpg/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

riblette
08-01-2011, 07:41 PM
In PNWBA are the chunks/burnt ends even sampled by the judges? If I remember correctly they are judged for appearance only. :confused: I could completly wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

Makes the whole thing that much goofier. :crazy:

Scottie
08-01-2011, 07:49 PM

Preach on my NEBS brother. on any given day you will get your ass handed to you...i struggled until i found the right maple syrup...

But seriously. I suggest everyone go up to NEBS land. We do every year, why we are members and why we have so many good friends from up there. Besides them talking funny, they are alright :thumb:

Plowboy
08-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Preach on my NEBS brother. on any given day you will get your ass handed to you...i struggled until i found the right maple syrup...

But seriously. I suggest everyone go up to NEBS land. We do every year, why we are members and why we have so many good friends from up there. Besides them talking funny, they are alright :thumb:

Next time I go, I'm brining along a bucket or "R's". They seem to always drop their's.

Plowboy
08-01-2011, 07:54 PM

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/8348/0705silverlgvt0.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/0705silverlgvt0.jpg/)

I'd like to find that in my brisket.

quarters69
08-01-2011, 08:22 PM

How did you get a picture of my wife?:heh::heh:

mobow
08-01-2011, 08:51 PM
It is very sad. But, it is the rule that judges and reps are held to and they did the right thing. Keith

azmark
08-01-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm still learning about the competition circuit and favorites and how things work and to be honest I don't think it is any different than any other sport. The top teams will always be "hated." I'm still not sure why he has "haters" but he seems like a nice guy on tv but I also hate the Lakers even though I'm sure they are nice guys :crazy:

I'd like to find that in my brisket.

Would be DQ'd for a foreign object........likely Swedish:clap2:

Matt_A
08-01-2011, 08:58 PM
"What's sculpting?"

Is carving up a chicken thigh so that it will be identical to every other thigh you tun in sculpting? I bet you could make a strong argument that it is... after all, you're drastically modifying a cut of meat to make it more appealing to the eye. It's got nothing to do with flavor, just pretty, i.e. Sculpting.

boogiesnap
08-01-2011, 09:13 PM
um, no.

sculpting has to do with linking an entry to a team.

now, please, leave my east coast brother alone. you know that we know that you know our BBQ is not bottom feeder fodder.

INmitch
08-01-2011, 09:59 PM
I'll put my 2 cents in here. I'm not bashing Harry or anything...but. He's aurguably one of the best cooks in the country. Rules are rules. Do I like them as far as the foil thing.......NO. I've had 2 teams that are good friends get DQ'd for foil this year. But he knows the rules and should have kept a close eye on that.
This weekend When I was doing brisket I asked the other 3 teamates and my dog (but she really didn't give a sh!t) to make sure there wasn't any foil on any slices or anywhere in the box when I was putting my brisket box together.
I guess I'm not as kind as most but rules are rules. Like em or not!!!!

JD McGee
08-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Being a PNWBA kinda competitior I can tell you that it was considered a "foreign" object...just as a hair would be or something other than parsley or green leaf lettuce. The REAL pisser is that PNWBA does not score burn't ends...they are considered as garnish and are not to be tasted for scoring. So...the foreign object in his "garnish" took him out of the running. Sad...

deena
08-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Yeah it was a bummer but rules are rules and Harry was a very good sport.

Anyway.. Burnt ends are defined in the PNWBA as a portion of meat that has more bark than meat. So the only thing that is not tasted are those really crusty corner pieces. If there are chunks of the point that have more meat than bark.. they are tasted.

BTW this rule will be reviewed after the end of the season because of all the confusion of the definition. But that's up to the board to vote on.

ique
08-01-2011, 10:29 PM
If there are chunks of the point that have more meat than bark.. they are tasted.

Whoa, really? Bark is meat last time I checked.

JD McGee
08-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Yeah it was a bummer but rules are rules and Harry was a very good sport.

Anyway.. Burnt ends are defined in the PNWBA as a portion of meat that has more bark than meat. So the only thing that is not tasted are those really crusty corner pieces. If there are chunks of the point that have more meat than bark.. they are tasted.

BTW this rule will be reviewed after the end of the season because of all the confusion of the definition. But that's up to the board to vote on.

Really...??? Well...ya learn something new every day...:doh:

deena
08-01-2011, 10:32 PM
Yeah.. well I didn't make the rule.. it's a long standing rule.. like I said it will be something reviewed. We have been making rules changes over the last few years to try to make things make more sense. But you know change is hard and takes time. We have several rules that are going to be up for discussion this year. But that is the rule as it currently stands.

swamprb
08-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Bark is overrated!

INmitch
08-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Yeah.. well I didn't make the rule.. it's a long standing rule.. like I said it will be something reviewed. We have been making rules changes over the last few years to try to make things make more sense. But you know change is hard and takes time. We have several rules that are going to be up for discussion this year. But that is the rule as it currently stands.

But you know change is hard and takes time.:shocked:....:tsk: I'm outta here!!!

landarc
08-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Well, since I know Huminie, I will pull for him, but, SYD are also Brethren, as are several others out here. I wish them all well.

I do agree with you Todd, that is a pretty small speck of foil, rules are rules though, time to change the rule and put in standards.

swamprb
08-01-2011, 11:51 PM
I'm hoping SYD will make the trek to Duvall, WA 8/20-21.

Funtimebbq
08-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Hi All,

I wasn't there so this is pure speculation. My guess is Harry used foil as a cutting board because he travelled to the contest. That may be why there was such as small piece of foil on the cube of point.

Benny

bigdogphin
08-02-2011, 12:04 AM
It was nice to meet Harry at the Longview (Thunder Mountain) event. He cooked an awesome noodle/Chicken dish for the pot luck and he went out of his way to meet everyone there. This event had several multiple grand champions cooking. Just because an event is small doesn't mean its a gimmee. You still have to put out your best product to win.

JayAre
08-02-2011, 07:25 AM
At first i thought the rule about a spec of foil was pretty ticky-tak also, but after giving it some thought, I see no reason to change the rules to acommodate not paying attention to details. These are professional contests, so every detail should be thought throught and looked at.

(sorry that this post has nothing to do with Harry, but the tread is leaning in this direction)

Spydermike72
08-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Ed

A hair is not a reason for a DQ (at least in KCBS)....

JD McGee
08-02-2011, 08:01 AM

Not doubting the rule...just the first I have heard about it as far as the burn't ends tasting criteria. We have been told on several occasions by head judges that they are not to be tasted at all. Looking forward to a clarification on the issue for sure.

Scottie
08-02-2011, 08:23 AM
I'm thinking conspiracy by B-F... you know, come to think of it, do they own Reynalds Aluminum? :tape:

In all seriousness, this should be a good lesson on why to never/ever cut on foil.... i poke a hole in my foil and make the hole bigger before the needle goes in for a temp. Too many horror stories of hearing about foil inside a brisket. I also take great care in lifting brisket out of foil. All it takes is to hear something like this and it will make you want to change your routine. Sucks for SYD.

Mrs. McFrankenboo
08-02-2011, 08:53 AM
I'm thinking conspiracy by B-F... you know, come to think of it, do they own Reynalds Aluminum? :tape:

In all seriousness, this should be a good lesson on why to never/ever cut on foil.... i poke a hole in my foil and make the hole bigger before the needle goes in for a temp. Too many horror stories of hearing about foil inside a brisket. I also take great care in lifting brisket out of foil. All it takes is to hear something like this and it will make you want to change your routine. Sucks for SYD.

We do the same thing and I even make sure that Jim doesn't have any pieces missing from his gloves after cutting/slicing so that's it's not in the meat! We both look at the turn in box to make sure there isn't anything in there or on the meat that could be grounds for a DQ. I now realize I have the most important job!!:crazy:

riblette
08-02-2011, 09:58 AM
We do the same thing and I even make sure that Jim doesn't have any pieces missing from his gloves after cutting/slicing so that's it's not in the meat!

We used to use the looser fitting plastic gloves 'cause they were easier to take on and off 'til we cut the tip of one off and left it in the box one day. We use the tighter latex gloves now, but we still have someone watch closely to make sure none of it ends up in the box. We also take a toothpick inventory before we turn in the box. It's not big fun when we have to toss the camp upside down looking for that last unaccounted for toothpick 2 minutes before turn-in.:icon_blush:

As a side note-we competed in one PNWPA event and it was great. one hour turn in times and a comment card is required by every judge for every entry. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Congrats to Home On The Range and Big Daddy’s!!!!.

Harry: sorry for the tough luck on an otherwise fine day...good luck in August!

Jaybird
08-02-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm surprised some of the California people on the CBBQA forum haven't said this happened because he is Asian!! No really....I'm surprised!:shocked:

DawgPhan
08-02-2011, 12:30 PM
correlation is not causation.

Ryan Chester
08-02-2011, 12:57 PM
That's a bummer. I wish SYD luck in their adventure but not this weekend in Vista. Im going to do my damndest to get my bung!

Sledneck
08-02-2011, 01:07 PM
I'm surprised some of the California people on the CBBQA forum haven't said this happened because he is Asian!! No really....I'm surprised!:shocked:

Were u dropped on your head as an infant?

Scottie
08-02-2011, 01:13 PM

Not sure about Jay, but i kno i was dropped... a few times im thinking.

Pretty sure Jay was saying it with tongue firmly planted... i did recommend that he contact the Diversity Office for California though...
:becky:

Jaybird
08-02-2011, 01:15 PM

I guess you missed reading that on their forum during the Jack Flap.

Nice avatar BTW. :-o

Jaybird
08-02-2011, 01:17 PM
[QUOTE=
Pretty sure Jay was saying it with tongue firmly planted... i did recommend that he contact the Diversity Office for California though...
:becky:[/QUOTE]

Zackly Scottie!!!:thumb:

Jeff_in_KC
08-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Just read the entire thread before commenting. First off, as someone mentioned haters, I sure don't see "hater" posts at all in this thread. Get over it. Loved the comment about "karma"! That's exactly what I'm thinking. One reaps what one sows. End of story. As for the DQ itself, rules are rules. Caveman had a tiny piece of foil, not much bigger than SYD's metallic garnish here at Pleasant Hill that got him DQed in... brisket. Chad was an incredibly good sport, accepted responsibility and was a completely honorable competitor during the visit from the rep and myself. I'm glad to see Harry acted in a similar fashion. And finally, never, ever cut or slice meat on a piece of foil! That's asking for trouble.

Cue's Your Daddy
08-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Now if he just had the disposable cutting boards from Smoky Mountain Smokers this wouldnt have happened. And all sales will go to the Corliss Johnson Memorial Foundation for the month of August.....

Sledneck
08-02-2011, 02:45 PM
I guess you missed reading that on their forum during the Jack Flap.

Nice avatar BTW. :-o

Zackly Scottie!!!:thumb:

Not sure about Jay, but i kno i was dropped... a few times im thinking.

:becky:
Then lesson to be learned. Smilies are your friend. :rolleyes::crazy::wink: capiche?

Jaybird
08-02-2011, 02:46 PM
:thumb:

Sledneck
08-02-2011, 02:56 PM
:thumb:

Not bad for a western stater :boxing:

Smokin' Joe
08-02-2011, 03:00 PM
As a former victim of the foil speck (American Royal Open 2010) I will say that one should be very careful:icon_blush: In our case I contend that the cheap ass foil I used "flaked" under the heat and left a tiny speck on the bottom of a brisket slice. In the week following the Royal I found foil specks on my pork (having not cut or probed through foil). The foil quickly went in the garbage and I havent found a speck since.

Jaybird
08-02-2011, 03:21 PM

:tumbleweed: :amen: to that brother.

motoeric
08-02-2011, 05:55 PM

yawn

swamprb
08-02-2011, 08:03 PM
You know, if some other team were in the same situation and chose to cook with us in PNWBA Land, I'm fairly certain that they would receive the same hospitality that was extended to SYD.

After reading the whole blog http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/blog/?m=201108
I feel very proud of our organization!

I'm not counting, but Raven's Fyre has been in at least 3 confirmed accidents on their way to comps, there could actually be more!

speedrcer1
08-02-2011, 09:20 PM
As a former victim of the foil speck (American Royal Open 2010) I will say that one should be very careful:icon_blush: In our case I contend that the cheap ass foil I used "flaked" under the heat and left a tiny speck on the bottom of a brisket slice. In the week following the Royal I found foil specks on my pork (having not cut or probed through foil). The foil quickly went in the garbage and I havent found a speck since.

Thank you. Note taken.

Kit R
08-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Here is your "spec":

http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/IMAG3252.jpg

Here's my own personal brisket "foil in the box" DQ from the Lexington NC Cookoff in April:

http://deguellobbq.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/img_2214.jpg

More than a speck I guess, but apparently the last piece in the box since that was all that was left when the rep presented it to me (and I actually got a comment card on brisket so someone tried it). Talk about a sick feeling......

Big Poppa
08-03-2011, 12:31 AM
actually Harry uses those cutting boards with his gear...I know that guy who sells them to him...hehehe

Kit R
08-03-2011, 06:46 AM

I better check my notes. I do not remember this "maple syrup" you are speaking of.......

Sledneck
08-03-2011, 07:32 AM
Now if he just had the disposable cutting boards from Smoky Mountain Smokers this wouldnt have happened. And all sales will go to the Corliss Johnson Memorial Foundation for the month of August.....

You mean these? :becky:http://store.smokymountainsmokers.com/pd_singleuse.cfm

Btw this weekend if you are cooking in manorville ny , bring cash if you want to combine orders to save shipping. I am placing my order Monday

Scottie
08-03-2011, 08:20 AM
I better check my notes. I do not remember this "maple syrup" you are speaking of.......

Only works up in NE. Ill pull out that trick for a class up there..

Bigmista
08-04-2011, 02:43 AM
That's a bummer. I wish SYD luck in their adventure but not this weekend in Vista. Im going to do my damndest to get my bung!

You'll have to fight me for it!

Oh wait...forgot who I was talking to.

You'll have to thumb wrestle me for it!!

Bigmista
08-04-2011, 02:47 AM
I always use heavy duty foil. Makes great hats!

Kit R
08-04-2011, 06:53 AM
Only works up in NE. Ill pull out that trick for a class up there..

Ah ha! Now I see you working. If someone wants the "full" CSC experience they need to take the class in different regions! Maybe that's why you beat my butt on pork in Lexington (you had something up your sleeve). Or, more likely, you're just a much better cook!

All kidding aside, that maple syrup apparently works up in NE. But, I'm afraid to go there as they might not understand my accent. :-P

Ryan Chester
08-04-2011, 11:20 AM
You'll have to fight me for it!

Oh wait...forgot who I was talking to.

You'll have to thumb wrestle me for it!!

:becky::becky::becky:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t161/ryatothen/MuayThai.jpg

See you there my brotha!

billygbob
08-04-2011, 06:13 PM
Bark is overrated!

BLASPHEMY!!! :mad2:

INTOLERABLE!! :tsk:

HERESY!! :tape2:

SACRILEGE!! :icon_pissed

Say it ain't so, Joe :cop:

Dan - 3eyzbbq
08-05-2011, 10:55 AM
I always use heavy duty foil. Makes great hats!

I agree. This is from a couple years ago:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_qJjbS7MvWqM/SSjsu9Ro_kI/AAAAAAAAArA/SCi2H1hiJDQ/s1600-h/IMG_6949.JPG