PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Report…STL Ribs...Indirect Configuration…Success

jamckee
07-31-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks to BBQ Breatheran - bbqbull (Mike) for guiding me to the recipes and tips to indirect grilling.

I have an OTS (less than a month old) with a cheap thermometer stuck in the top vent. The longest grill time I have under my belt is a few hour STL Pork steaks that turned out just ok. I decided to go for a longer try with 2 slabs of STL Ribs. I was a little leery about the yellow mustard but gave in and used the basic UBBQ rub recipe. Right away I was chasing temperature before I put on the meat. I used some water to cool down the grill. I finally got it down to ~250 and put on the ribs. Later, I found out I had put out the coals on the right side of the grill with the water. After about an hour I pulled the doused coals, added some new and ignited them in my chimney then re inserted them. I did about 2:45 hours with a rib guide (2 racks on edge to the grill) with hickory chips. About 2 hour in foil, 35 minutes on the grill and 10 minutes to sauce. Total time 5:31:55.

If you made it this far…

The question is if the Weber indirect trays are good for this or anything? After putting my ribs in foil I readjusted the coals out of the trays and to one side so I could lay the foil bags flat.

The ribs were excellent. A quote from my wife “You should open up a restaurant”. She then asked me for more spending money so I don’t know what to think. I had fun.

Bbq Bubba
07-31-2011, 08:16 PM
Outstanding! :thumb:

bbqbull
08-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Awesome looking ribs for your first run!
Glad I could help.

bigabyte
08-01-2011, 01:51 PM
That definitely looks like success to me!:thumb:

Al Czervik
08-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Look mighty tasty! :becky:

Smoked
08-01-2011, 03:56 PM
They look delicious...:clap2: