PDA

View Full Version : Sun and temperature spikes...

caseydog
07-31-2011, 04:54 PM
My WSM has been dead on all day with an iQue 110, even though it 105 in the shade. I have it under an EZ-Up, so it has been in the shade all day -- until now.

Now that the WSM is is in direct sunlight, as the sun moves lower to the west.

And, the temperature has spiked.

Can the direct sunlight make that much of a difference? Has anyone else seen this happen?

I've never seen this before, but I haven't used the WSM outside the garage in 105 degree heat. I'm having to lift the lid on my WSM to let some heat out.

The iQue is handling it pretty well, but the iQue can only do so much to lower heat, if the excess heat is caused by external influences.

I hung a towel from my EX-Up that shades most of the WSM from the direct sun, and I hope that helps. But, maybe it is just a fact of life when you smoke when it is 105 in the shade.

CD

Smokin' D
07-31-2011, 05:19 PM
I've had the chamber temp in my smoker at 150° while in the sun. No fire going on either. So yes, the sun will heat things up on you. Just another variable to try and eliminate right along with the wind, cold and rain.

landarc
07-31-2011, 05:37 PM
Yes, because it is black and thin metal, it can act like a solar collector when it is hot.