PDA

View Full Version : Tried my First Butt Todat. It turned out decent.

CPMatthew
07-30-2011, 06:06 PM
So, I have been doing ribs for a while and a friend of mine decided he would try some pulled pork. His turned out pretty well, so I decided to give it a go. I got a 10# butt from the commissary and rubbed it down with honey mustard and sprinkled some rub all over it.
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv174/cpmatthew/DSC_0395.jpg
I let it sit in the fridge for a day and a half, probably longer than I wanted to, but it worked with the work schedule. Today, I got up, set up a two-zone fire on the OTG, got the temp to around 250* and put the butt on. I had some trouble managing temps (stayed between 235 and 265 the whole cook, but had to baby sit it a lot). I was surprised at how little fuel I needed to add. I let it go for about 4 hours and then my friend decided we needed to get together and drink beers, so I foiled it, placed it in a cooler and took it to his house. He had his Chargriller offset going at 250*, so I just placed the butt on there in foil for about another 4 hours. I was surprised when I checked and the internal temp was 195*, I am guessing the foil helped cook it faster. It started falling apart when I took it off the grill. So I wrapped it in towels and put it back in the cooler for another hour. When I unwrapped it, I used two forks and it pulled apart very easily. The people at the gathering seemed to like it, so I guess that means it was a success.
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv174/cpmatthew/DSC_0400.jpg
Sorry for the long prose with not much pr0n. Apparently drinking beers tends to cause one to forget about photo-documenting one's work.

Thanks to all who responded to my other thread with advice on cooking the butts. Can't wait to try another.

bigabyte
07-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Congrats on a successful first butt cook!:thumb:

Bill-Chicago
07-30-2011, 06:26 PM
You didnt mention whether you liked it or not

You're thinking the mustard killed it, right.

I think thats what most of us are thinking.

:-P

Congrats!