PDA

View Full Version : Product review: Auber Temp controller For WSM

big brother smoke
07-30-2011, 10:00 AM
A few weeks ago, I took a plunge to get the Auber temp controller for 2 of my WSMs. Here are my thoughts, trials and triumps.

On July 3rd, I attempted to do a high heat cook with my two new units I purchased. I got up at 7am to get the brisky and butts on.

Problems:
1. I noticed the blowers were blowing continuously as I tried to get the cookers up to 350*.

2. One of the units showed a negative reading.

3. Farking alarm kept going off.

Solutions:

1. I called Auber and learned for high heat cooks, I needed to upgrade to a 10 cfm blower versus the provided 6 cfm blower. (User Error):rolleyes:

2. Alligator clip (used to regulate cooker temps) internal wires were reversed thus causing the negative reading. I simply opened and reversed the wires. (Company issue not user error)

3. GF set alarm to 900*, as this is a function, I do not need, if the unit/s work as they are supposed to (User does not want to fark with this option).

So, after some problems and a learning curve, I am now having errorless cooks. For example: Last night, I put on a couple of small butts trying out a pork injection for next weekends comp. I had great sleep and woke up to the cooker at 271*. Only one degree higher than my set target temp of 270* (later on when I checked it was exactly at 270*) :thumb:

My conclusion: this is a good unit for the money and does exactly what I need now. I am quite happy to know, that I will be getting a good night sleep at comps moving forward. :cool:

Additionally, you need to be careful with the controller box due to it being plastic. I recommend they get longer alligator clip wires to keep it from falling.:rolleyes:

speedrcer1
07-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks.
Do you have a link?

big brother smoke
07-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Ooops: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14_27

BBQ Grail
07-30-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks Steph. Your recommendation is good as gold to me!

NorthwestBBQ
07-30-2011, 01:04 PM
Any pics?

big brother smoke
07-30-2011, 01:07 PM
No pics, there are some however on their provided website. :mod::becky:

txschutte
07-30-2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Steph. I've been looking for an affordable draft control setup for the WSM.

snakyjake
08-01-2011, 01:43 PM
How does this compare to other options?

big brother smoke
08-01-2011, 02:14 PM
WHat options... IQue,110, Guru, Stoker? Answer: Cheaper:thumb:

---k---
08-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the review. I've only seen like one or two post mentioning these in the last year. It looks like another inexpensive, straight forward temp controller. I like that it actually has a digital readout of the temps. If I hadn't bought an IQue recently, I might of considered one of these.

big brother smoke
08-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the review. I've only seen like one or two post mentioning these in the last year. It looks like another inexpensive, straight forward temp controller. I like that it actually has a digital readout of the temps. If I hadn't bought an IQue recently, I might of considered one of these.

Yes, I have both the IQue and the Auber. What sets them apart is indeed the digital readout.

colonel00
08-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Yes, I have both the IQue and the Auber. What sets them apart is indeed the digital readout.

What about the fan? I am not sure what the specs are on the iQue fan off the top of my head but how would you compare the 10cfm fan of the Auber to the iQue? Also, I would think that having a seperate fan unit would be a plus as if it breaks you don't have to replace the whole unit. Not to mention you have more flexibility as to where you locate the Auber since you don't have to run the air tube directly from the unit to the intake. These are just assumptions from my observations, any comment to these?

big brother smoke
08-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Welp, the Ique is supposed to have a 15cfm fan, so it should be stronger. However, for bullet type cookers the 10cfm is more than plenty.

True about it being less bulkier, I use a tupperware storage box to both house while in use and not in use. Additionally, I too, like the idea of having seperate parts.

colonel00
08-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Interesting. I wonder if the Auber can run larger fans if you wanted. I guess my only other concern would be how it mounts to a UDS. They advertise a special version for drum smokers so I might have to see what that is about. Otherwise, a quick google search came up with some fancy adapters people have fashioned. Thanks again for the info.

---k---
08-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Can the Auber be waterproofed as easily as the iQue?

big brother smoke
08-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Can the Auber be waterproofed as easily as the iQue?

I purchased a couple of 9" tupperware/storage boxes. I then punched a hole in each that would allow the wires and alligator clips to fit through the hole. I stole the idea from someone on here, who had two aubers running through a bigger box. I went with the single smaller box for smaller cooks and organization. They are packed in the rig, otherwise I would provide pics. If I get to it tonight or find the other thread I pilfered the idea from, I will post. :thumb:

---k---
08-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I did something similar for my iQue. I wasn't sure how or if you would waterproof the fan on the Auber.

big brother smoke
08-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Ok, here is the thread I pilfered the idea from. However my fan is exposed to the elements. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109410&highlight=auber&page=2

Post #22

colonel00
08-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Ok, here is the thread I pilfered the idea from. However my fan is exposed to the elements. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109410&highlight=auber&page=2

Post #22

Do you have a picture of this setup? I am really considering getting one but still have some reservations. I can see in that link how the iQue can be located in the plastic box but I am not sure how you have a box around the blower that is attached to an intake vent.

Also, when running an Auber or iQue or any temp controller is it standard to let the blower provide all of the air? I just wonder if anyone has maybe left one of the other vents slightly open. Not nearly enough to come close to the target temp but enough to provide some additional airflow so that the blower isn't providing it all.

big brother smoke
08-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Brad,

I do not have the fan on the Auber in the box; just the controller. I stated earlier, I wanted a barrier for it beyond the plastic case the controller comes in. This is necessary for someone who accidentally drops chit.:becky:

colonel00
08-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Ah, I see. That makes sense. I thought you had somehow come up with a cover for the blower itself to protect against rain and said dropped chit :-D.

anamosity
08-02-2011, 09:42 PM
I have a Auber unit to put on my Large BGE. Its still in the packaging.
Just have not got around to trying it out yet. But maybe Ill use it this weekend.

MattOphotog
08-12-2011, 08:34 PM
I bought one and it arrived today. I also bought grommets from BBQguru. Does anyone have it run through them? It appears they have soldered the alligator clip onto the temp sensor so I can't get it through the grommet. Anyone care to let me know if that is the case. I don't want to break it.

big brother smoke
08-12-2011, 08:40 PM
I am not sure it will come off without damaging it!

MattOphotog
08-12-2011, 08:43 PM
I am not sure it will come off without damaging it!

May I ask how you have yours ran inside then? I bought the grommet set for my meat thermometer to go through one and the controller temp through the other to keep a good seal.

Matt

big brother smoke
08-12-2011, 11:45 PM
May I ask how you have yours ran inside then? I bought the grommet set for my meat thermometer to go through one and the controller temp through the other to keep a good seal.

Matt

I just run the alligator clip through the lid vent to the middle of the top grate.

MattOphotog
08-12-2011, 11:54 PM
I just run the alligator clip through the lid vent to the middle of the top grate.

Thanks that is how I'll handle it this weekend for my plans. But I'm going to find a way to run it through the grommet I bought. I may try to unsolder the temp probe and get a different clip. I'm also going to call the company and asked why in the world they would solder it in the first place. Just silly.

Porcine Perfection
08-07-2012, 03:50 PM
I am getting ready to order one of these and sent them an e-mail regarding the alligator clip probe. They said they would switch me to this (http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_3&products_id=101) for no additional charge. It looks like all I need to do is drill a hole and add a couple of washers.

http://www.auberins.com/images/TC-K4.jpg