PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Minnesoooota!

Family Guy
07-29-2011, 10:38 PM
Hi everybody!

I've been lurking for a while, and let me start by saying a huge THANK YOU to all who contributed the great info. on the UDS monster thread. Thanks to you awesome farkers it was pretty easy for me to complete my goal: Obtain a smoker to satisfy my primal need for fire and meat without going broke. :hail: As I do a lot of the cooking around here for my bride and daughter it's a lot of fun to have a new method to go with. I soon became addicted to the Mother of all threads and was on the road to building my own UDS.

It started with a $20 barrel I found on CL and a 60 mile trek to the boonies and back. A few hours of burning, drilling, sanding, grinding, measuring, and painting yielded a cool thing. Another $10 got me a huge Char-broil lid that was too big, but seemed to provide a "good enough" seal. The first cook produced three fatties and a few moinks. Without a thermometer I managed to overcook everything, and I might have used a little too much Grill Mates rub. Most of it was way too dry and salty; probably could've just pitched them into the water softner tub! :laugh:

The second cook was a rack each of loin and baby backs, followed by a slab of salmon and a couple of catfish fillets. Better control was had with a Tru-Tell thermometer, and didn't overcook. But.... things were awfully salty again! And to top it off Mrs. Guy admitted to detecting a "metallic taste." :tsk: So it was back to the ol' drawing board.

Last week I purchased a $67 new, un-lined, open head drum from Consolidated Container Co. here in Minneapolis. Transfered the hardware, seasoned, and cranked out a fatty and a rack of fresh (not injected) loin backs. Momma did NOT get a sense of metal on her finely tuned pallet and gave the "new & improved" UDS her praise! :clap2:

So, tomorrow will be my maiden voyage with a pork butt. I have plans to start early and so some finish work on my daughter's 10 x 12 playhouse while waiting and monitoring our "pork gold". Not ready to do an unattended overnighter yet, and this way I can enjoy a couple of cold ones later in the day. Wish me luck, see ya on the threads!! Thanks again!! :-D

John

ajmcedar
07-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Welcome, it is an addiction. The sooner you admit it, the sooner we can begin working help contribute to that addiction! :becky:

BigButzBBQ
07-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Welcome to the Crew!

sandiegobbq
07-30-2011, 04:19 PM
I lived in the mpls area for several years.

Nice people rotten weather.

Now in San Diego and living the weather.

People are nice too but not as nice as the weather!

Welcome and enjoy the forum.

caseydog
07-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Welcome, but shouldn't you be working on your dish for the pot luck down at the Lutheran church?

CD

Family Guy
07-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks Al, I look forward to you contributing to my addiction!

JMSetzler
07-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Greetings and welcome from Hickory, North Carolina :)

Congrats on the UDS build. I'm trying to get one started myself but it's proving to be difficult to find a drum around here...

Family Guy
07-30-2011, 04:42 PM
Thanks ...Tom? Glad to be here. Just coolered my first 11 hr. pork butt. Thanks to you guys I can report it seems to not be a failure so far. I know,... pics to follow.

Family Guy
07-30-2011, 04:51 PM
I lived in the mpls area for several years.

Nice people rotten weather.

Now in San Diego and living the weather.

People are nice too but not as nice as the weather!

Welcome and enjoy the forum.

I spent a couple of years in your area (Escondido/ Del Mar / La Jolla), and you're right - great weather! I grew up in Montana so I'm enjoying the mild seasons here in Minnesooota just fine. :laugh:

Family Guy
07-30-2011, 05:04 PM
Welcome, but shouldn't you be working on your dish for the pot luck down at the Lutheran church?

CD

Yah I shure should be ya' know. But dem fellow Lutrans of mine might not fully 'preciate da intricate notes dat dare tin blue smoke imparts on da 'ol tuna hotdish. Might scare 'em into droppin' their lefse on da floor! :-o

Thanks for the welcome CD!
John

Family Guy
07-30-2011, 05:31 PM
Greetings and welcome from Hickory, North Carolina :)

Congrats on the UDS build. I'm trying to get one started myself but it's proving to be difficult to find a drum around here...

Hi JM,

I've seen your posts about looking for a drum, hang in there-you'll find one. My first one (w/ evil red liner) came from a CL search for steel drum or barrel, then after building that one I learned of a local container co. where I picked up #2 (new, heavenly un-lined, open head). Gotta check the butt in the cooler to see if it's edible or if we need to order a pizza! Thanks, see ya on the threads :-D
John

ajmcedar
07-30-2011, 05:33 PM
This made me smile, as I am from ND.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Rookie'48
07-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Welcome to our crazy little club house!

Family Guy
07-30-2011, 07:47 PM
And yust so ya know, I have NO plans to smoke lutefisk anytime soon!:puke:

John

Family Guy
07-31-2011, 01:34 AM
Welcome to our crazy little club house!

Thanks alot, I look forward to being here!

John

smokinit
07-31-2011, 07:58 AM
Welcome bro

Westexbbq
07-31-2011, 10:20 AM
Welcome to the camp,
John.
Enjoy.

Wampus
07-31-2011, 03:45 PM
Welcome from Indiana!!!!