PDA

View Full Version : Bone In A Box

kwas68
07-29-2011, 02:10 PM
No this isn’t a subject for the Woodpile!
I entered a local rib contest and the rules state that we are to submit a single rib in a 9” x 9” box. Garnish is allowed. Any recommendations?

riblette
07-29-2011, 02:43 PM
http://www.packageperfect.net/images/Product/medium/4292.jpg

OR

http://mytraveljob.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/the-cash.jpg

The_Kapn
07-29-2011, 02:47 PM
No this isn’t a subject for the Woodpile!
I entered a local rib contest and the rules state that we are to submit a single rib in a 9” x 9” box. Garnish is allowed. Any recommendations?

Now that is WEIRD. :-D

If it is open garnish, I would add a lot of color and fruits/veggies that go well with pork.
Pineapple and Basil comes to mind.
Lots of others I am sure.

I am lost-- I wish you well.

TIM

Sawdustguy
07-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Wow, now that is a tuff contest. I would surround it with some shavings of the wood you smoked it with accompanied by fruit that accompanies pork well. Ah, but what the heck do I know.

Matt_A
07-29-2011, 06:44 PM
One rib???? OMG, that's a lot of pressure... I HOPE that it's only one judge, or that they're REALLY GOOD Friends!! (noooo, I don't want to even think about that!)

HeSmellsLikeSmoke
07-29-2011, 08:41 PM
Well, I would give them a Hollywood cut rib at least.

Do they specify what kind of rib? Can it be beef? What are the criteria upon which it will be judged? Who will judge it?

Matt_A
07-29-2011, 09:19 PM
Hollywood cut would give the judge(s) a lot more to see. Keep the garnish simple, don't let it over shadow your beautiful double-wide rib!

bmanMA
07-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Is Hollywood cut the same as Cadillac?

chambersuac
07-29-2011, 10:25 PM
I'm not a very seasoned competitor, but ONE rib??? Are you sure? Not one rib per judge? Sounds weird. Good luck with your contest and let us know how ya do.

Matt_A
07-29-2011, 11:12 PM
Holywood cut, I've also heard Iowa Cut, KC cut.... basically you remove every second bone so the remaining bones have large sidecars of meat on each side. two bones worth of meat on one rib.

comfrank
07-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Check with the organizer. Maybe they meant one slab ???

--frank in Wilson, NY

The Cosmic Pig
07-31-2011, 01:08 PM
One rib???? OMG, that's a lot of pressure... I HOPE that it's only one judge, or that they're REALLY GOOD Friends!! (noooo, I don't want to even think about that!)

I would just like to add... "ewwww!!!" :-P

beerguy
07-31-2011, 01:20 PM
I agree with comfrank above. i cant type for chit, maybe its an error.

kwas68
08-01-2011, 12:28 PM
The rule states: Each contestant MUST submit at least one (1) separated rib in three (3) separate containers.

Only KCBS garnishes are allowed.

Not sure how I'm going to pull this off.

Matt_A
08-01-2011, 12:50 PM
kwas68, I guess there will be three judges... Cook a couple racks, choose the best three ribs. Look for straightness of bone, meatiness, great glaze, etc. Then, being careful to make a straight, clean cut, slice through the rack as close as you can to the two ribs on either side of the perfect rib. This will give a nice chunk of meat on each side of the rib. You might consider a dense parsley bed and orient the rib from front to back. That way when the table captain (if there is one) tilts the box for the judges to see, the rib won't want to roll on its side.

I did notice that it says "at least one" it's not unheard of to put more meat in the box than required. That is, if you have enough gorgeous ribs to put two per box.

ssbbqguy
08-01-2011, 01:45 PM
More than one if you're proud of them. I'd do three on a small bed of parsley, mini green. Highlight the meat and see what happens. Steve.

plethoraofpinatas
08-01-2011, 01:48 PM
The rule states: Each contestant MUST submit at least one (1) separated rib in three (3) separate containers.

Only KCBS garnishes are allowed.

Not sure how I'm going to pull this off.

Sorry, but what's the problem here? Instead of one clamshell with a bunch of ribs, you have to submit three separate clamshells... put two ribs in each one on a bed of curly parsley, or three ribs in each if you get enough good ones.

Sounds like a waste of styrofoam to me, but if that's how they want it, that's how they'll get it.

kwas68
08-01-2011, 03:16 PM
The competition includes cooking 10 slabs of baby back ribs that they will provide to us in the morning. We only have to submit one rib for each of the three judges. The rest of the ribs are sold to the public at $1/rib to raise money for the local Jaycees and Lion’s Club. The public will also vote for their favorite rib. Last year the competitors’ ribs sold out quick! So there is an incentive (albeit small) not to sacrifice ribs from potential “People’s Choice” voters.

kwas68
08-01-2011, 03:25 PM
No real problem, Pinata. Just curious how other brethren would choose to fill the box as there will be a lot of empty space in that box. A rib (or two) might look pretty lonely in there. Would you fill the box with garnish? Or just lay the rib on a small pillow of parsley? BTW, this will be my first comp and the first time I will have to build a box. I'm going to practice this week.

I agree - a waste of styrofoam. Not sure why they all can't pick from the same box. Or why they couldn't use a smaller box. I don't make the rules - the dude abides.

plethoraofpinatas
08-01-2011, 07:17 PM
The rest of the ribs are sold to the public at $1/rib to raise money for the local Jaycees and Lion’s Club. The public will also vote for their favorite rib. Last year the competitors’ ribs sold out quick! So there is an incentive (albeit small) not to sacrifice ribs from potential “People’s Choice” voters.

Yes, that makes sense. And it does seem like a bit of a puzzle to position one rib in a clamshell! My first thought would be to go diagonal, but with the tip of the bone towards the front (opening) side would prevent rolling, like Matt_A advises.

Matt_A
08-01-2011, 09:04 PM
To me, diagonal just looks weird somehow...

kwas68
08-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks for all of the tips. I went with a "Cadillac cut" and placed the rib on a diagonal. I think they turned out good.

Not only did they turn out good (for a first timer), I was rewarded first place! It was just an amateur rib cook-off, but my feet still haven't touched the ground.

Thanks again to the brethren!

BasicPatrick
08-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Awesome!!! Good for you!!!!

SuperQue
08-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Nice job! BTW was this the Frankfort contest?

kwas68
08-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Yeah, it was Frankfort. Had a blast. Were you there Super?

SuperQue
08-11-2011, 11:04 AM
No I wasn't, I was in Morton judging but my co worker has been interested in entering that contest so we might have to get something together and give it a try next yr.

HarleyGirl14226
08-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Awesome!

goodsmokebbq
08-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Wtg!!

Matt_A
08-11-2011, 09:45 PM
:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:: clap2: