PDA

View Full Version : help - Dr. BBQ’s Backyard Championship Ribs

IronForge
07-29-2011, 12:27 PM
I am going to be trying Dr. BBQ’s Backyard Championship Ribs this weekend.

here: http://www.drbbq.com/drbbqfavoriterecipe.php

The BBQ Rub listed in his recipes looks like a spearate entry? Do you use his rib rub on the backyard ribs first??

Also does anyone have a sauce recipe that would go well with his rib recipe?

Thanks!

swamprb
07-29-2011, 12:36 PM
No-

You are just adding another half cup of Turbinado to the Big Time rub.

Granulated Brown sugar is hard to find in the stores, so if you wanted to dry some brown sugar on a pan and use it you can do that, or just use it out of the bag, it just tends to clump a bit. I use this http://www.dominosugar.com/Product.aspx?id=7 and order it online.

BTW-this is one of my favorite sweet rubs!

boogiesnap
07-29-2011, 12:55 PM
No-

Granulated Brown sugar is hard to find in the stores, so if you wanted to dry some brown sugar on a pan and use it you can do that, or just use it out of the bag, it just tends to clump a bit. I use this http://www.dominosugar.com/Product.aspx?id=7 and order it online.

sure the gran sugar isn't for putting on the ribs when foiling?

OakPit
07-29-2011, 12:57 PM
I'm pretty sure you can PM Ray under his Dr. BBQ handle - He'd probably steer you in the right direction.

tamadrummer
07-29-2011, 02:29 PM
Most Wal-Mart super centers carry turbinado sugar. You would be surprised at how much crap is on the shelves in one of those places.

Sawdustguy
07-29-2011, 02:36 PM
I happen to love Kansas City Style BBQ sauces. Kansas City BBQ sauces are usually a bit thicker, always tomato based and on the sweeter side to balance out the heat. Here is a recipe I have used throughout the years. I can not take credit for it. The recipe was devised by Larry Mayes of the Two Fat Larry's BBQ Team and I got the recipe from Dr. BBQ during at a class we took. It is also featured in Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cook Book.

The recipe is very simple, extremely easy to make, only requires a saucepan and is cooked over low heat. Anyone, and I do mean anyone can make this sauce. This sauce can be enjoyed by any member of your family. The name of the sauce is Thick and Sticky and here is how you make it.

Ingredients:

2 cups of ketchup
1 cup of dark molasses
1/2 cup of white vinegar
1 teaspoon on chili powder (we like San Antionio Red from Pendry's)
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 teaspoon of onion powder
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of allspice
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of mace
1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper

Optional: 1/4 teaspoon of liquid smoke

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over low heat. As soon as the molasses dissolves you are done. There is no need to boil. You can add Cayenne Pepper to bring up the heat.

swamprb
07-29-2011, 03:14 PM
sure the gran sugar isn't for putting on the ribs when foiling?

Are we all on the same page for this recipe??

http://www.drbbq.com/drbbqfavoriterecipe.php

First you have to make the Big Time Rub, and it calls for turbinado and granulated brown sugar. Two different processed sugars.

I was just pointing out that granulated sugar is hard to find in my area. I've been making this rub for years since taking Rays class a few years ago and bought his Big Time cookbook. Regular Brown sugar clumps up in this recipe-not really a big deal, but using the granulated gives the rub another dimension when I grind it finer. Compare it to Obie-Q Sweet Heat. It is very good! I sometimes omit chili powder and sub chipotle powder.

IronForge
07-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Found some Turbinado sugar locally.. now just need the granulated brown sugar.

Thanks for the comments and the BBQ sauce recipe.

swamprb
07-29-2011, 04:32 PM
I give up!

IronForge
07-29-2011, 05:31 PM
I give up!

Don't give up yet, I think I saw my mistake. I re-read the recipe. :clap2:

One of the ingredients IS the rub. Lol. I was reading it too fast the first time.

IronForge
07-29-2011, 05:53 PM
No-

How long do you dry it out in the pan for? Of course you would do it real low heat so it doesn't melt.

Big Bears BBQ
07-29-2011, 09:46 PM
This all sounds like good stuff, will have to give it a try......

drbbq
07-30-2011, 08:27 AM
You got it now. Make the rub, add the extra sugar and put it on the ribs. If you can't find the brownulated sugar dry the brown and run it in the food processor for a bit. Lately I've been making my rubs and running the whole thing in the food processor so you might try that too. Not too much or it will be powder. Just enough to break it all down.

IronForge
08-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Ribs turned out great!! The only change I made was less chilli powder and cayanne. Wife can't take much spice at all.

How do these tatste with a thinner mop sauce? I used the "thick and sticky" sauce.

Everyone liked the ribs! Thanks!

ALLENY
08-01-2011, 06:23 PM
They sound great! I will have to try this receipe. Has anyone tried making the sweet potato pie or the baked beans ? They sound good as well.

drbbq
08-01-2011, 08:07 PM
I have tried both and they were very good.

IronForge
08-01-2011, 11:06 PM
They sound great! I will have to try this receipe. Has anyone tried making the sweet potato pie or the baked beans ? They sound good as well.

Yes I did make the baked beans. It uses some of the BBQ sauce and rib rub as ingredients. Good flavor. I overcooked them a little because they really thickened up. (or I poured out too much juice)

Again the ribs turned out great.