PDA

View Full Version : Open pit Chicken BBQ help

chromestacks
07-28-2011, 10:34 PM
well, my FIL talked me into building an open pit for chicken BBQ earlier this year. The first cook is comming this weekend. The pit is finished and out of the paint shop this afternoon. It had the first seasoning/paint burn off fire tonight. Plan to burn it again tomorrow and saturday. I have seasoned many a pits so I am not worried about that. The cook is scheduled for This sunday. This will be our very first open pit cook. I have cooked over a campfire chicken many times. Due to a recent injury, my FIL (assistant pit master) is going to be the pit master for this cook. I will be there and try not to tell what he should be doing. Any idea of how quick the chicken will cook over an open pit? I am guessing 2.5-3 hours but that is just a guess.(doing leg quarterts that weigh about 1.1-1.25lbs ea) any other advice is greatly appreaciated. Thanks.

I should mention the racks are about 18 inches above charcoal.

Midnight Smoke
07-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Depending on the Pit temp. 18" is a good distance but keeping the fire low would seem hard to me with that type of Pit. I would think about an hour or so. Maybe some experts will chime in.

gtr
07-28-2011, 11:21 PM
When I used to do chicken pieces at 225 - 250, it took about 2 hours. I would assume that it would take less time on an open pit. I'm kinda talkin' out my arse here, but I'm thinking it would take within an hour on most open pits. Make sure you have enough cool space on the grate to move the chix to if the fire starts to flare up. Maybe take a practice run with a couple pieces on Saturday?

chromestacks
07-28-2011, 11:35 PM
When I used to do chicken pieces at 225 - 250, it took about 2 hours. I would assume that it would take less time on an open pit. I'm kinda talkin' out my arse here, but I'm thinking it would take within an hour on most open pits. Make sure you have enough cool space on the grate to move the chix to if the fire starts to flare up. Maybe take a practice run with a couple pieces on Saturday?

duh:doh:....why didnt I think of that....seems like a fine idea to me!....thanks

landarc
07-29-2011, 02:37 AM
I have cooked a lot of chicken over a open block pit, I mean thousands of chickens. I assume it is a portable pit. Can you set up any form of controlling the heat? It sounds like the grate is fixed, this will make it a little tougher. But, here is what I would do.

Cook the chicken either unseasoned or seasoned without sugar on them. Cook them bone down, over enough heat to add color, but, not burn them. This is really more of a 8 to 10 second fire, measure by holding hand over the fire and seeing how long you can hold it there. Once you have had it bone down until it is colored, it will be cooked maybe 2/3 through, flip and cook the skin side until lightly browned, maybe 20 minutes to 30 minutes. Then you can sauce, dip or glaze and put over the fire again to set glaze. I like to use a thin dip then cook, then add a sticky sauce if desired.

Crash
07-29-2011, 03:45 AM
I have cooked a lot of chicken over a open block pit, I mean thousands of chickens. I assume it is a portable pit. Can you set up any form of controlling the heat? It sounds like the grate is fixed, this will make it a little tougher. But, here is what I would do.

Cook the chicken either unseasoned or seasoned without sugar on them. Cook them bone down, over enough heat to add color, but, not burn them. This is really more of a 8 to 10 second fire, measure by holding hand over the fire and seeing how long you can hold it there. Once you have had it bone down until it is colored, it will be cooked maybe 2/3 through, flip and cook the skin side until lightly browned, maybe 20 minutes to 30 minutes. Then you can sauce, dip or glaze and put over the fire again to set glaze. I like to use a thin dip then cook, then add a sticky sauce if desired.

Pretty much nailed it.... nice post.

chromestacks
07-29-2011, 07:30 AM

The grate is at a fixed hieght. The only way to controll the fire is by moving the charcoal with a hoe. yes it is a mobile pit. it is similar to the medow creek pit on a trailer but built at my shop.