PDA

View Full Version : Building a 275 gal Oil tank BBQ Smoker

BigCountry17
07-27-2011, 06:45 AM
Hi Everyone, new to the site and hoping to gain some knowledge and guidence. I have been smoking on another smoker I built last year and been doing it faithfully for a year now. Love it.

I am building a smoker out of a 275 gal oil tank. There will be two fire pits. One will be at the left lower corner of the tank and the other one will be at the right lower corner of the tank.

My question is distribution of heat evenly. Any ideas how to do so, so I don't have two hot zones and the middle be cold. I appreciate any tips or ideas. Thanks for the help.

-Chad-:-D

Rick T
07-27-2011, 06:57 AM
Just thinkin here, but if I were to build a long large smoker, I would probably build a long fire pit low and to the back length of the smoker.

One that I could put 4'-0" limb wood in, If I wanted to.

Other wise with one box on each end, could you use some schedule 40 4" pipe from the fire box to the middle or near the middle from each box, with an adjustable damper on each as well as the direct opening from the box at each end of the pit?

Rick

Chef Country
07-27-2011, 07:59 AM
If it were me I would build one large firebox as stated above the along the length of the smoker, you can still use dampers on both sides and middle to be warmer or cooler on one side if you wanted or make it all the same throughout

BigCountry17
07-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Just got back from getting some supplies, as I read both posts it does make sence. I was going to use a 30 gal steel drum and split it in half to make each fire box on each end.

I wonder if I should weld the hole tank to the side of the oil tanker and make a long fire pit like that? maybe?

Any thoughts?