PDA

View Full Version : Lump charcoal in Milwaukee

propsync
07-22-2011, 01:17 AM
I usually just buy whatever is at Discount Liquor. This year they have some foodservice grade crap. I liken it to what lump Kingsford Blue would cook like. Last year they had Humphrey, and that has been my favorite so far. Anybody know where I can get Humphrey local?

BBQ2Much
07-22-2011, 09:19 AM
I get Grove Charcoal from Sendik's--$13.99 for 20 lb bag

Mark S
07-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Ray's Butcher Shoppe on Loomis Road (just south of Layton) used to always have Humphrey lump but it seems when I was last there a couple of weeks ago it had been replaced by Cowboy but I wasn't paying close attention to notice if they still had Hunphrey. You might want to give them a call. Royal Oak lump is widely available at places like Avenue Liquor (Howell Ave. just south of Howard or Gary's Liquor in Oak Creek on Ryan Road and Howell. RO is kind of a crap shoot, sometimes the chunks are large, other times kind of small. Potter's Piggly Wiggly in Oak Creek carries Grove lump but recently I have been disappointed by the small size of the chunks. Hope this helps!

propsync
07-22-2011, 11:47 AM
I may swing by Ray's today, just for fun. I feel the same about RO. There's always at least 5-10 rocks (not stones) in the bag. It's a mid-tier lump IMHO, but Humphrey was the deal for me. I think it was 18.99 for a 40lb. bag. I wonder if a local group buy would be worth it. Get a pallet of it and split it up.