PDA

View Full Version : Wantin' to get serious (long).

Hoorenga
03-28-2005, 12:07 PM
I'm doing pretty well with my wish to be able to make decent BBQ but I am still a ways from where I would like to be in terms of equipment and abilities. First thing I would like to do is get some better equipment. Right now I have a "Great Out Doors" smoker. It is a rectangular, vertical chamber, uses charcoal (bottom load), has a water pan and three racks. For $100 it is a great unit (Wal Mart). Last year I missed an opertunity to get a new Pitts and Spitts from the dealer in Texas. My neighbor was there with a rental truck and could have easily picked one up for me. They were even on sale ($1000). Unfortunatly the neighbor didn't tell me they were going. I'd just buy one outright but the shipping to Washington is over $400. Having gotten my basic cooking skills honed now I am wanting to experience a decent smoker. I am looking for some ideas. I don't do a lot of quanity so small is good and I don't want to spend a fortune. I also want something that will hold a fire. My first thought as you may have read is to build my own brick smoker. A number of pictures were passed along but no detailed plans. What this suggests to me is that brick pits arn't all that popular. I'm wondering why this is? I would think that because of the mass of the brick that they would be the most ideal material to make a smoker from. It would hold the heat better than steel. I can see steel units being more convient in terms of portability and such. Can't take a brick oven to a competition event. My question is: What would you chose for a backyard smoker if you were going to buy or build one right now for under $1000 (hopefully well under) and why?

jminion
03-28-2005, 12:32 PM
I live in Federal Way if you would like let's make plans for you to come by and take a look at what I and some others are using. A brick pit is nice, not cheap to build or operate. If you are going to compete in the future you need to consider that in your plans up front.

Bigmista
03-28-2005, 12:38 PM
If quantity is not an issue, why not get a WSM?

BigBelly
03-28-2005, 01:34 PM
Heck WSM is a good idea for the smaller quantity.

Check um out.

Weber Smokey Mountain.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=weber+smokey+mountain&hl=en&lr=&rls=DVXA,DVXA:2005-06,DVXA:en&sa=N&tab=ff&oi=froogler

Me, if I could clear it past the misses, would have a brick pit in my backyard.

BBQchef33
03-28-2005, 02:07 PM
For $179 from amazon, and since you specifically say that small is good and quantity isnt an issue, it sounds like a WSM or 2 sounds ideal for you. A wsm will do 8 racks of ribs(with ribracks), or 2 large items(brisket, butts, etc). Give serious look at them. For 179 buck, its a good start and if you want to expand later, its not a loss becase its an excellent cooker you can always use. Only downside of the WSM is the "therapy mod". You dont get to play with fire, babysit the smoke, kick back on a hot day while you become one with your cooker. :) The Smokey mountain is pretty close to set and forget for 6-8-10 hours. Its not totally unattended, but its pretty close. All u will need to do is adjust the vents occasionally.

Arlin_MacRae
03-28-2005, 02:37 PM
The way I see it the WSM is better for a guy who's always on the run. The offset units require babying and TLC.

Bigmista
03-28-2005, 05:07 PM
You could get the WSM and this:

http://www.chargriller.com/shop/grills/smokin-pro.html

You'd still be under $400 and have the best of both worlds!

chad
03-28-2005, 05:15 PM
Big Green Egg is another option. Great fire control but capacity can be an issue.

spicewine
03-28-2005, 06:30 PM
Two words Spicewine Ironworks

Bigmista
03-28-2005, 06:36 PM
Won't that be over $1000 w/ shipping?

Hoorenga
03-28-2005, 06:37 PM
I had one of thoes last year. Maby I wasn't using it right. The thing sucked up wood like crazy. I originaly bought it without the fire box and it worked fine with the lump coal and wood chunk for smoke off to the side. As soon as I got the fire box on it, it became a real bear to control. I even did the mods on it. I sold it to a friend. He seemes to like it but I practicaly gave it to him.

The big green egg sounds interesting.

Bigmista
03-28-2005, 06:53 PM
That's funny. I use mine without the firebox because of space on my balcony. I have to tend the fire about every 2 hours. I confess I check it a little more often just because I like to.

It sounds like the WSM would be ideal for you then because you don't have to tend to it a lot. It's almost "Popiel-like".

Set it and forget it.

Hoorenga
03-28-2005, 07:08 PM
Wow, that's a nice lookin' smoker at Spicewine Iron works. Too bad it would cost me as much as the smoker to get it shipped here. I'm in Olympia, Washington and according to the shipping calculator it come to just about $700. I'd buy one tomorrow if it weren't for the shipping. Are they a wood fired smoker or a charcoal?

parrothead
03-29-2005, 01:45 AM
Two words Spicewine Ironworks

I agree! They are worth taking a look at. Check them out and get ahold of Spice personally. It may just be worth a phonecall. He makes some fine looking smokers, and I am thinking of getting one myself. Of course budget will have a big play in your decision. I have a Klose, an Ortone and would be more than happy to add a spicewine to the mix. They look like a great line of smokers.

spicewine
03-29-2005, 08:53 AM
Won't that be over $1000 w/ shipping

$700.00 + shipping for a small one

Shipped one to Jimmy B. (Smokincracker) in Florida and I think it was only $400.00 for shipping

Hoorenga
03-29-2005, 12:16 PM
My neighbor went to Texas last year with a rental truck and didn't tell me. If I had known I could have had them pick me up a Klose from the factory. Shudda, cudda wudda. I'll be flying over Missouri in June. Maby I can get one in my luggagge.
8^)

smokincracker
03-29-2005, 01:42 PM

Shipped one to Jimmy B. (Smokincracker) in Florida and I think it was only $400.00 for shipping

$365.00 and mine was the size bigger.
Check this out it is a quality smoker that will last a lifetime.
Very safe also as outside temp of the cooker is low.
It will hold approx 220 for about 5hrs on one chimney kingsford.

malaki
03-29-2005, 11:53 PM
menards has brinkmans smoke king deluxe on sale for $199 plus a free tool kit to go with it. think i'm gona pick one up this weekend.

Bigmista
03-30-2005, 12:08 AM

I think the spicewine is an awesome looking smoker. Wish I could afford one. But he said he was looking for some thing under $1000.

$700 + $400 = $1100.