PDA

View Full Version : brisket cuts ?s

Barnard4
07-13-2011, 11:23 PM
I have only done one brisket and am trying to figure out what I should get next time. So I see option like:packer, flat, whole, choice, select, prime. What is the best choice.

bigabyte
07-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Packers are the best IMHO. Some people like doing flats. A packer gives you two pieces of meat, two different muscles. One is the flat and is what people typically associate with sliced brisket. The other muscle is called the point and is fattier and gets done sooner than the flat making it very tender. This makes it very well suited for chopped brisket, or for making burnt ends.

Select, Choice and Prime as USDA grades of beef. More info here...
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/beef_from_farm_to_table/index.asp

The whole cow is graded, not each cut. The grading is made from an area in the ribeye. Based on fat content and how well marbled (or how evenly distributed with the meat) it is, the cow gets assigned a grade. So a brisket from a cow graded Prime is a Prime brisket. Choice is pretty dang good, and I haven't seen Prime's all that worth the added cost, save for maybe Wagyu which is a whole different story and frankly doesn't even taste like brisket IMO.

martyleach
07-13-2011, 11:31 PM
I only do packers. That is a cryo'ed full brisket that can weigh from 10-17lbs. As Chris mentioned above, it tends to be moister than your brisket flat. I believe when it comes to briskets, bigger is better because you get a thicker flat, which is the part most likely to dry out.

Johnny_Crunch
07-14-2011, 12:33 AM
+2 on the packer, doing just a flat is like a ying without a yang in my opinion.

Big Sexy
07-14-2011, 01:22 AM
does anyone separate the point from the flat prior to cooking?

smokeyw
07-14-2011, 04:51 AM
Another one for doing a whole packer. I agree with Marty that in briskets, bigger is better. I usually try to find a choice packer that weighs around 15 Lbs.. I always cook whole and don't separate until the flat is done. When the flat is done, I separate it and the point, and wrap the flat in foil and put it in the cooler. I then cube the point and put it in a foil pan and smoke for another 2 hours with a little sauce and a little more rub. I like to smoke a whole packer and not separate because I believe the fatty point helps keep the flat moist and adds some flavor to it. Others may have different opinions.

DaveMW
07-14-2011, 05:30 AM
I only cook packers...of course it is mainly so I have the point for burnt ends :-D and the extra moisture doesn't hurt either.

chad
07-14-2011, 06:52 AM
I'm a packer fan, too. :mrgreen: I buy what's available so sometimes select, sometimes choice, sometimes Angus, etc. It's brisket and I'm not cooking for comp. A good find locally is Angus Choice. If I can't, for some reason, find a packer brisket I'll find the biggest flat and just pay more attention as I cook it.

ssbbqguy
07-14-2011, 06:54 AM
Mostly flats for me. I don't like buying fat to throw away. Just me. Did two 8# flats yesterday in six hours. Main reason is time. Whatever works for you is what's best imo. Steve.

thirdeye
07-14-2011, 08:57 AM
I have only done one brisket and am trying to figure out what I should get next time. So I see option like:packer, flat, whole, choice, select, prime. What is the best choice.

I like the packers (which is a whole brisket, with only the deckle removed, and will be sold in a sealed cryovac bag), and I prefer choice or higher.

If I do want to cook a flat, I'll still buy a whole one but I'll freeze the point, save up 2 or 3 and cook them all at the same time. The only thing I do non-typical is to make a straight cut when removing the point, instead of following the natural seam between the two muscles.

Here is a brisket chart I put together with some photo's, terms, and brisket lore regarding the left side brisket....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbeque/brisket101copy.jpg

K-Barbecue
07-14-2011, 10:16 AM
I like the packers (which is a whole brisket, with only the deckle removed, and will be sold in a sealed cryovac bag), and I prefer choice or higher.

If I do want to cook a flat, I'll still buy a whole one but I'll freeze the point, save up 2 or 3 and cook them all at the same time. The only thing I do non-typical is to make a straight cut when removing the point, instead of following the natural seam between the two muscles.

Here is a brisket chart I put together with some photo's, terms, and brisket lore regarding the left side brisket....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Barbeque/brisket101copy.jpg

Nice writeup... very helpful. Now I have to tell my butcher I only want LH briskets :-D

Warthog
07-14-2011, 11:00 AM
I only do packers. Get mine at RD.

Groundhog66
07-14-2011, 11:30 AM
http://cache2.allpostersimages.com/p/LRG/10/1060/7LVL000Z/posters/green-bay-packers-helmet-logo-photofile.jpg

Ryan Chester
07-14-2011, 11:32 AM
http://cache2.allpostersimages.com/p/LRG/10/1060/7LVL000Z/posters/green-bay-packers-helmet-logo-photofile.jpg

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:: thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

landarc
07-14-2011, 12:42 PM
I do packers, I think JD McGee separates point from flat sometimes. I tend to cook them all at once. Actually, I prefer the point sliced to the flat.

Barnard4
07-15-2011, 12:26 AM
I must have had a packer. I didn't know to separate it for burnt ends. Mine was only about 13lbs.