PDA

View Full Version : Just purchased a Kamado Joe

Toni
07-13-2011, 10:16 PM
Hi Everyone.. I am new to these forums... It's a great site with alot of info... I have just purchased a Kamado Joe Cooker and I am getting ready to do my first true "smoke session" I have been a "griller" for along time but LOVE smoked meats and can't wait to get started... I was hoping before my first smoke that some of you experienced people can give me some useful tips on using this Cooker in particular... :confused: Any help at all would be greatly appreciated... Thanks again !!! Toni

NorthwestBBQ
07-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Okay, can you post some pics of your new pit?

martyleach
07-13-2011, 11:10 PM
We find it a lot easier to talk when we have a visual stimulation. Got any pictures??

purplestarrider
07-14-2011, 12:17 AM
you guys are lying about needing the pics. :P you just want to drool. you are as bad as the little boy that found dads stash of dirty mags. ;) j/k

Toni Welcome. what a great question and i am looking forward to the answers as i have just recently pick up something similar lately as well and will be waiting to see what others have to say. you have come to the right place the brethren is a great place to get info.

Johnny_Crunch
07-14-2011, 12:22 AM
Welcome aboard and best of luck. Congrats on your new cooker! :thumb:

lionhrt
07-14-2011, 12:27 AM
you guys are lying about needing the pics. :P you just want to drool. you are as bad as the little boy that found dads stash of dirty mags. ;) j/k

Actually My dad used to look for my stash :heh:

I don`t have a clay cooker but have read enough to know they say catch your temp on the way up if you go over your target temp they can take a bit to get back down. so start choking your air supply a bit before you hit your target temp. and I agree with Michael post some pics. :icon_smile_tongue:

GreenDrake
07-14-2011, 05:48 AM
I have had my Kamado Joe for about a year now, any questions on it, fire away. I actually use it more than my Traegers these days. It's an all weather, all purpose cooker. I use it for comps, every day cooking, long smokes and whatever. The only limitation to ceramic cookers is capacity. The PPI (price per inch) of usable grill space is very high compared to other options, but the rock solid stability, fuel efficiency and longevity of the grill make up for that. I have a Stoker on mine, talk about dead on cruise control. There are a bunch of YouTube videos on my channel with it, doing more as I take the time to make them, but if you look for Kamado Joe on YouTube, you will run across my vids, I am Smokering41....had to make a new channel when they merged with Google and the password fiasco got too frustrating.

aquablue22
07-14-2011, 09:15 AM
I have an BGE so it is somewhat close. I use mine for everything, pizza, steaks long low and slow butts or just grilling some steak or burgers. That's the nice thing about them. Probably the thing i like the most is being able to dial in a temp using airflow and doing 12 or longer low and slow cooks. Took some time to get it right but now it's bada bing we got butts. Just start playing and cooking, lots of fun. I don't know if the Joe has a platesetter but you need one. Good Luck.....

bigabyte
07-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Congrats!:cool:

Phubar
07-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Gefeliciteerd!

On the Dutch Brethren forum there's a Brother who imports those units.
I've never cooked on those but I'm willing to give it a try!:becky:
Entertain us with your new toy please?:thumb:

5-0 BBQ
07-14-2011, 12:11 PM
I am a Kamado Joe dealer and cook on one all the time. What do you need to know?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/198536_122403381167728_111579368916796_172736_8000 935_n.jpg