PDA

View Full Version : Raspberry branches as a smoke wood?

brewerjamie15
07-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Maybe an odd question, but it is born from the Cherry wood thread. I didn't want to hijack that puppy so I put this to its own thread.
I have a few raspberry bushes in the yard. Each year they "die off" and in order to keep them healthy I remove quite a bit of the 2nd year canes. I've not yet tried it but has anyone heard of or tried fruit bush canes or branches as an additive in their smokers? I have raspberry, blueberry, and grapes I can use. I also have lilac bushes which I know you can use, but I don't think I'd like that.
Thanks guys.

purplestarrider
07-10-2011, 11:24 PM
I know i have heard of people doing grape. so i can't see why you couldn't do the others.

SmokinAussie
07-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Sure worth a try... Just put some in a smoker box next time make a fire and see whether it has a nice fragrance or not.

I've recently tried that method with grape, fig, olive and lemon trees... all seem OK for smoking!

Arlin_MacRae
07-11-2011, 08:19 AM
That's a new one. Google didn't help much, surprisingly.
Know what I'd do? Put a few branches/stalks/whatevers in the pit and burn them without meat, to see what they smell like. Let your nose be your guide. Let us know!

Arlin

Smiter Q
07-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Herbal tea is made from the bush/leaf part not just the berries, so I would think it would be good.
Test the smoke as advised above.
Really curious about this. Let us know when you try!:thumb:

bigabyte
07-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Do a test run on some chicken (small amount). That'll tell you for sure.

expatpig
07-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Aren't raspberry canes "pithy" inside? I guess you could burn some and smell the smoke, and go from there.